View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
Lintra: It was in the Emridy Meadows. I'm fairly certain that it's on everybodys map at the start of the game.

Not on my map (I checked). Does any one else know where this gets put on your map?
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:59 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Talk to the head of the church. He'll give you a quest to go there.
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:02 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Val - Thanks. Although at this point I am not sure a giant would be much of a challenge.

@All - I am starting to get the idea that I will *never* get the magically held doors to open in the temple ... am I missing something?

Edit - I forgot to ask,

Why did I have such a rough time with (spoilered out ... just in case)

Spoiler:
The werewolves behind the mirror?

My fighters were equipped with a +2 Longsword and a +1 battle axe, but only did damage rarely, unless they got a critical. I thought that would be sufficient?

Last edited by Lintra on Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:08 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

[quote="Danicek

I made several rerolls for each character and created this party:
- Paladin (Human)
- Fighter (Dwarf)
- Cleric (Half-elf)
- Ranger (Elf)
- Wizard (Elf)
And it was immediately much easier. Now I am level 3. But I doubt, I am able to clear first floor of Moat house (so many zombies at one time, I need at least one fireball, but I do not have it).
I did not hired NPC, I simple do not like to hire NPCs in any RPG.
We will see, what else I can do (any tips for first floor of Moat house with those hordes of zombies and green slimes?).[/quote]

Hi Danicek, if you could manage the real advanced Wiz8 rules, this AD&D should be peace of cake. Your party seems good enough on the surface, they should suitable for the task ahead.
Like in almost all these AD&D games the stupid enemies attack the closest target first, so be sure that your 2 tanks, the Paladin, and the Fighter are the first two characters the enemies meet, but sometimes enemies also goes after the first character that hurts them, so be carefull about hitting the enemies with spells before the melee characters can get the first hit, unless you can shield your casters (and bow-shooters), by placing your fighter in door openings or other small passages, try to pick the battlefield (where possible), where only a few melee enemies can attack the same character.
Regarding character development: Start give your melee fighters the perks which gives them protection against melee, before giving them perks for offensive skills, and regarding magic users, develop their (spell) resistance penetration perks, and choose the area spells (Entangle, fireball etc.) Remember the cleric got this special ability to Turn all undead in one action, which both damage the undead and stuns them for several combat rounds. The Cleric alone can clear this moathouse in no time with a couple of lucky Turn undead spells
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra

Why did I have such a rough time with (spoilered out ... just in case)

Spoiler:
The werewolves behind the mirror?

My fighters were equipped with a +2 Longsword and a +1 battle axe, but only did damage rarely, unless they got a critical. I thought that would be sufficient?

Because of the way damage reduction is changed in 3.5. After 30 years they were bored of a magical weapon being enough for any situation. So they change things like this:

Were-creature: damage reduction 10/silver.
Iron Golem: DR 15/Adamatine
Zombie: 5/slashing
Skeleton: 5/blunt
Wraith: 10/magic
Astral Deva: 10/good
Tarrasque: 15/epic

etc.

Just like 3rd edition, you need what's after the slash to affect a creature.

Much weeping there was about the 'need' for a fighter to carry a 'golf-bag' of weapons on the official D&D forums. Melodramatic, this is. Affect most creatures in D&D with two enchanted weapons, one adamantine and one silver, you will. Talk like Yoda stopping, I am.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:12 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So, it was really much easier with this party. Thanks for tips.
I am currently level 5, Moat house is clear and also many other places are clear.
Currently I am trying several first areas in Temple it self.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:40 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
So, it was really much easier with this party. Thanks for tips.
I am currently level 5, Moat house is clear and also many other places are clear.
Currently I am trying several first areas in Temple it self.

So are you enjoying it? Personally, I can't wait until I get time for my next playing session ... maybe this weekend (with luck).

I have been thinking about alternate party structures in my spare time. I am currently running through with a Barbarian, a fighter, a cleric, a wiz, and a rogue .. no NPC help .. and it is pretty easy (although a few of the fights have left me in really bad shape, like the ogre in the moathouse! Ug that was ugly).
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:11 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@Lintra

Yes, I am really enjoying it. Very nice game. This turn-based fights are really very good. Character developement is also very good.
I just doubt how long this game will be.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:37 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
@Lintra

Yes, I am really enjoying it. Very nice game. This turn-based fights are really very good. Character developement is also very good.
I just doubt how long this game will be.

I had some of the same doubts ... but it is longer than you might think! Also, from what I was able to glean reading Xen's and Val's posts on this game, you can get to max level (10) and still have a bit of the game to go.

I hope that they publish a sequal, or at least use the same engine again (tweaked to solve a few complaints *grin*). I have really enjoyed the 'feel' of the game.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:40 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@Lintra

I really like graphics of this game. When I got this one, I was tired with some "eye-candy" games with big advertisement campaign and pure gameplay.
So I took this "old-style" looking game. And I am really pleased with it.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:47 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There's more than enough experience to get to level 10 with your wizards and clerics (who lose experience when making magical items... and making magical items is a very potent tool, now that it works).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:53 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@EverythingXen

What do you think about this cap at level 10? Is this part of AD&D rules? Or is this just game design decission. And if yes, then why they made such decission?
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:02 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I liked it. All D&D games used to be like this... the classic goldbox series games in particular. Since you know exactly how powerful a party is going to be at any given period of the game you know what kinds of monsters to include, etc.

All D&D modules have a recommended character level. Read the cover and it will say "An adventure recommended for 2 to 4 characters, level 6 to 8" for example. In this case it would read "An epic adventure for one to six characters, level 1 to 10."

Since D&D officially goes to level 20 and many use the options to advance beyond (an optional rules system) seeing a cap of level 10 begs a sequel.

Such as the pen and paper sequel to the module ... Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

In short, the level 10 cap didn't bother me any more than the level 6 cap bugged me in Baldur's Gate or the level 17-18 cap in Baldur's Gate 2.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:45 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

(spoilers) I started using charge and it helped a lot. I'm still anti power attack. I like high numbers after "to hit". I also started flanking and just playing smarter in general. Thanks for the tip Korplem.

I beat the ogre giant in the meadows without even taking a hit. I webbed him and had my wiz, sorc, and spognoir hit him with magic missles and acid arrows.

Things I don't do that I need to do is use wands and potions and that crap which I usually sell.

I also started to make magic items which I always saw as a wasted feat. I would have spognoir make some dex gloves because he new cats grace and I think that was the only thing he could make. But I got a little more into it and I kind of liked it.

I can't figure out how to make a magic weapon with any effect higher than +3, the other stuff never highlights as an option I can do.

One piece of good advice for danic (that I just figured out) is to have that prince you save with the super sword get killed in combat, take all his stuff, then bring him back to town and resserect him. You still get his quest, and his stuff. I do that with all the npcs that have magic items (without resercting them).

I got to the lower temple floor were the teleports to the elemental planes are but I still couldn't get burny and rufus to join my party. Do I have to get past the doors before they join? This is the farthest I have gotten in Ironman by far, and my first and only time through (non-irnonman) I only used spugnoir so I don't know much about the other npc's.
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:57 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2