View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Biggest cons of Morrowind

The biggest CON for me in Morrowind (by now) are the races:

If you like to play a powerful fighter/mage combo, theres only one race which really does well: The bretons.

Breton + Sign of Magic Apprentice =

(0.5+1.0)* MANA + (-50% Magicka + (+50%) Magicka resistance) + Dragon Shield (for the early game) =

Fighter with +1.5* Mana Multiplier and no drawbacks.

The boni in skills are virtually useless/a high skill level is actually a drawback for the later game.

All other races suck on this matter.

They are good for roleplaying reason only. I'd like to see something like: Each race got one+ cool unqiue power, one+ minor drawback and skill boni given by your race allow to get your skill level on 100+race bonus.

Example:

Wood Elves

+ Camouflage (Ability, hide outdoors at strength 100 for 60 secs)
+ Magicka Multiplier 0.5
- Magicka Resistance -25%

Marksman + 15 (=115 max)
Athletics + 10 (=110 max)

and so on.

Sure, you can DO that with the editor, but it still feels a little bit like cheating, doesn't it?

Regards
Post Thu May 23, 2002 8:21 am
Wabbit

I pretty much agree Breton is the best race, I play one meself. However, I do also like Imperials for their incredible "Voice of the Emperor" ability. Also if you play more of a FIGHTER/mage or plain fighter then you really I think have to choose between Redguard, Nord, and Orc. And you could still make them powerful in magic by picking apprentice or mage birthsign.

Also you can boost any character's magical abilities a LOT by using a lot of enchantments instead of natural magicka.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 4:56 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Wood Elves

+ Camouflage (Ability, hide outdoors at strength 100 for 60 secs)
+ Magicka Multiplier 0.5
- Magicka Resistance -25%

Marksman + 15 (=115 max)
Athletics + 10 (=110 max)

and so on.

I totally agree on the fact that if I was playing a reguard I should have like 115 into sword at the end but as a argonian, I will eventually have the same sword skill at a reguard....Doesn't make since if Reguards are supposed to be so good with swords.

Very good idea....A mod should be made for this. I wish I knew how to use the TES editor or I would do it.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 5:33 pm
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

heed me

Verily, dost thou think that race makes the man?

Dost thou agree with the vile slaver that the worth of a man is determined at birth?

Thou art sadly mistaken. The Lady Shannara did start her career as an archer but is now become a mighty mage.

The Lady Shannara did arrive by boat in Seyda Neen for the Imperial clerk there to ask ten questions. Judging her answers, this arrogant clerk did pronounce her fit to wield a bow and arrow, sensing her pitiful magickal abilities. Verily, though this man could see her abilities, he failed to sense her determination!

The future doth wait to be written, fellow travellers! And one stranger from the gaols of Tamriel, destitute and lacking any talent - that stranger shall rise as the Champion of Morrowind. Portents in the skies matter not, dear companions, *strenght of will* does!

May thine enemies fall to their knees at the mere mention of thy name

SirVincealot

Last edited by SirVincealot on Thu May 23, 2002 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 23, 2002 5:34 pm
Bob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yes i agree that the races are very class specific but they dont really have to be you dont have to actually pick the best sooted race because really you are just playing alone. So what if things are a little tougher the game is already kinda easy as it is so why not pick a race that is unsuited for the class you chose just to make things a little more challenging.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 5:40 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

You may say that a nord grew up to be a mage but he still grew up in a society that was battle orientated. As for the Reguards again...if he was raised in a society that was very combat with sword orientated he should always be able to be better then the woodelf who was trained for the purposes of stealth and bow. I don't think a woodelf should beable to max out to the same stat in lets say heavy armor as a Nord since Nord's are accustomed to wearing heavy armor, hence the bonus in the beginning of the game.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 5:46 pm
kamenjar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes but I wanted to be a harcore mage with HighElf magicka must-have x1.5 and major elemental and magicka drawbacks, but I DID want to get Lady birthsign's +25 Endurance, because I used no skills to boost Endurance (no med/havy armor or spear). The choice paid off because I have much more HP on me now -- Endurance gives you (1/10 of endurance?) additional HP with level-up

I am still happy with the choice since my magicka/elemental resistance is ok with my high willpower.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 7:20 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

I agree the bonus from the beginning should carry over through the end result.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 7:22 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

editing and adding new Races is probably the easiest and most intuitive function of the Editor, so you guys may want to give it a shot

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Thu May 23, 2002 7:28 pm
Pug
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I like my nord battlemage,"by the questions".I am olny at 5th level ,are you saying I need to start again and change my race?
Post Thu May 23, 2002 7:37 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I like my nord battlemage,"by the questions".I am olny at 5th level ,are you saying I need to start again and change my race?

All that matters is that the class you are playing you like, not really the race because it all ends up the same in the end. You could take your toon and make him a thief if you want to and it still won't matter. Just play him the way you like and the skills will match it. That is what is so great about this game.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 7:41 pm
Pug
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I haven't decided if the game is great or not yet. I loved Gothic, it was great. And this has alot of possilities , but so far I don't know. The npc's for the most part are rude, and there seams to be 50million of them.Also my game has crashed three times since I started ."once on purprse after I picked up A coin ,and I was told to have A nice day by chris" I will try it A little longer and see what happens.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 8:03 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

I never played Gothic and I am hearing that I should have played it, but what I love about this game is that it is like everquest except I don't have to spend like 2 years to develope a character and I am not depentant on groups to get anything done since it is a single player game. I also love the fact that if you don't like something you can change it with TES editor.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 8:16 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

abilities and skills innate to a race through environment or genetics don't determine a character's final class. his actions do. and this is one of my favorite things about character creation and development in morrowind. my only nitpick is the the ability that will be raised for a given skill. for instance: athletics should increase endurance and not speed. running for a long time increases your endurance not your speed. wind sprints will increase your speed. however there is no distinction with athletics apart from the fact that jumping doesn't affect it. maybe the skills raised should have been based on percentages. ie: athletics would increase 50% endurance, 30% speed (you can run faster with practice, but it will not increase your fastest sprint), 15% willpower (any long distance runner will agree it takes alot of willpower to push past your barriers), and 5% strength. the same goes for wearing heavy armor - it will definitely increase your endurance, but it will also increase your strength wearing 150lbs of armor all day. mgicks like alteration should increase endurance as well as willpower. i'm sure everyone gets the idea. i wonder if it is possible to make that kind of change with the editor? i suppose it would end up lowering the multipliers though. although given each skill is supposed to imporve one attribute, you might as well have those attributes raise automatically based on the percentages, and then give an extra point or two for selected placement. i think that owuld make the most sense.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 8:34 pm
some guy

Choosing race that is opposite the class is actually good in the long run since you can gain more levels ultimately (starting skills are lower, more levels to gain). That's what I hear at least.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 9:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next