View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
ZappasGhost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great RPG but very bad 3DEngine

Hi there ,

MW is a damn cool RPG and i like it. Best Game since the fantastic Gothic!

But!! The 3D Engine ist damn rotten Code. Why??

My System:
-New WinXP Installation
-Asus DDRam 266 Mhz)
-512 MB DDR (CLK 2
-Intel 2,2 Ghz (Northwood 133Mhz)
-Geforce 4 Asus Ti 4600
-NVidia Ref 28.32 (and i was trying a couple of other ones)
-Maxtor UDMA 120 GB
-Swapping on 2940 UW Barracuda

Every Game (With the exception of Morrowind!) is running like Hell!
3D Mark 2002 SE 11056 Points

No Overlocking , No Experiments only the newest Drivers and and and....

Morrowind with all Grafik/AI Options on and 1024er Resolution , sometimes itis unplayable!

The "Outside Engine" is to slow!!!

Often the Framecounter is going near 13 FPS. That is not acceptably with this Computersystem.

The Pathfindingsystem and the bad AI cannot be the Reason for that!!!!!!!

Do Anybody know something about the XBox Performance?? Is it smooth like silk??

What do u guys think about the Engine??

Best wishes from Berlin
ZappasGhost
(U are what u is F.-Zappa 1987 live in NY)
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:43 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I think the engine is wonderful and people just don't understand the amount of details that are involved in morrowind mainly in outside areas that cause it to run slower than engines from FPS games etc..

People are just saying things because Morrowind TESTS their PC and puts it to use at its full potential..this is what happens when a game comes out that has top notch technology as apposed to slightly old technology where most computers will run it..

Just my opinions...

I also think Morrowind is in NO way unplayable like you say...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:55 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

BTW, you have a similar system to me just slightly faster and only half the ram I have..and I have Geforce3 not 4..and the game runs perfect (with barely noticable slowdowns outside)

Either you are stupid or you have some setup problems on your computer...whens the last time you defragged?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:57 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think you might as well be comparing how solitare runs on your computer -vs- Quake3. Name one game you own that does what Morrowind does? If you say Gothic, than you may want to look into exactly how well Gothic runs, it's not at Quake3 speeds either.

Morrowind code may not be perfect, but there is ALOT more going on in this game than ANY other you have.

Sometimes when creating a game, the options/effects you require force you to use an engine that isn't perfect.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:57 pm
Solude

Athlon XP 1700+
512DDR
G3 Ti200
Windows XP

For me at 1024 everything maxed it runs smooth as glass. Now if only the editor worked for me.

Solude
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:07 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If people with 600 Mhz CPU and GForce2 MX are able to play it and enjoy it, then I do not see a reason why you should not.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:19 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Anyone claiming that Morrowinds 3d engine is awesome needs to get their facts straigt ! We've seen plenty of other engines capable of what the MW engine does - and do it twice as fast as Morrowind!

And the crap about ALL the calculations going on in the background - nonsense ! Remember Daggerfall ? Very simular world, different 3d engine - playable on a 80486 !

Dont get me wrong I think it's a great game.. but the 3d engine is a joke !
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:24 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Can you name that similar engine?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:26 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by p0rnflake
We've seen plenty of other engines capable of what the MW engine does - and do it twice as fast as Morrowind!

Name these "plenty" other engines...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:29 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

MW has the same enigne as Dark Age of Camelot and either Asheron's call or Everquest (I can't remember which, I'm still trying to find the interview I read with this info). Now I've never played these games, but I was wondering for those of you who have, did these games provide a good framerate with a reasonable amount of detail at a reasonable resolution?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:54 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I believe Daggerfall was using a 2d engine, so it would be able to run on slower machines.

As for comparing this to previous games, none of them took full advantage of particle shading as this game does. So, it is doing far more than previous games.

Will other games do this better... most likely. But there are none now, this is the first. For an RPG, I am very impressed with what they accomplished. And when the patch comes out, it should be even better.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:57 pm
Mltdwn

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion
MW has the same enigne as Dark Age of Camelot and either Asheron's call or Everquest (I can't remember which, I'm still trying to find the interview I read with this info). Now I've never played these games, but I was wondering for those of you who have, did these games provide a good framerate with a reasonable amount of detail at a reasonable resolution?

Actually I play all of these games to some degree still today and yes they all run at a great frame-rate with everything on. Slight difference though, the QUALITY of graphics and what parts of the programming API they use is VERY bare bone. As in no reflective water surfaces, no shadows, no light variation (ok so you do get light variation around your character when his torch is on but almost no one else can see it). Basically they just use the barebones of the gfx API where as Morrowind uses everything AND the kitchen sink. Can't wait till the next generation of Vid cards come out, imagine Morrowind then.

Oh and for others information:

ABIT KT7A-Raid MoBo with 1.4 Athlon
512 megs (Non-DDR, cheap generic, ram)
Generic GeForce 3 Ti400 (I think, it was bought off pricewatch for $60) (64megs vid memory)
Soundblaster Audigy Pro
80 gig 5400 RPM HD
21" Monitor

Guess what, about 40-50 FPS outside with every option on and maxed(except Shadows which is off) running at 1600 Res.

If you can't get it to run on your GeForce 4's at a decent resolution (with a 2.2 ghz Intel Pentium), I would say you have something messed up in some configuration. Personally I think it is XP, I know I have XP on my work computer (which is comparable) and the game is noticably slower than on my home computer that just has 98SE. Actually most of the "Slow FPS" complaints I hear about are from XP and 2000 users, so it might be your system configuration not the game (and I don't care what M$ says, XP sucks for games, that's why I switched back to 98SE as 90% of my games experienced drastic slowdowns, or wouldn't work at all).

-Mltdwn
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:08 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

MW uses one of the best engines available. It does MASSIVE ammounts of work in the background, and runs smooth on very simple pcs. A shame most people are to dumb to properly own a pc. Sad. Very sad.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:08 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
MW uses one of the best engines available. It does MASSIVE ammounts of work in the background, and runs smooth on very simple pcs. A shame most people are to dumb to properly own a pc. Sad. Very sad.

This is exactly what I think.

And to the guy that said MW engine isn't even near the best, please do tell us what engines compare? The simple fact that EVERY (to an extent) Item in Morrowind is moveable makes it a much better engine..not the mention the fact that all things in the game are hand placed and can be changed with the editor..
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:12 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Eh?

Eh? Same engine as DAoC and Asheron's call/Everquest?
Alas, no. The MW engine is built around it's own engine, which is the TES editor... They developed the editor, then wrote the game with it.

As for other engines that can do what Morrowind does, they simply don't exist. Morrowind is known as the most advanced engine at the moment for a very good reason. The only engine at the moment that looks anywhere near as good is the as of yet unreleased Unreal2 (looking forward to that one). As a first person shooter it'll be smoother, because it doesn't have the detail of an RPG in it.

Back to the original post....
Zappa: You possibly have a driver error, or need defragging. Others with a similar setup as yours are reporting about 30fps outside.
Damn, Black_Lord was even running it on a 350mhz with an 8 meg gfx card, badly I'll admit , but still doable.

Somnus
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:21 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next