Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Got my copy this afternoon... This game totally rocks!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

This is the best game not to mention best CRPG I have played in many a year... probably since the orginal lands of lore or betrayal at krondor. Man i can't wait till this weekend so I'll have the time to put in a power weekend rpg session. But until then I can play 4-5 hours in the evening and be tired at work from staying up too late playing Wizardry 8!
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:24 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well I'm annoying my local EBgames store everyday now, to get the game. I got the same feeling about this game. A well done new version of the good old days RPG's.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 10:45 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-11-13 23:24, Incindium wrote:
This is the best game not to mention best CRPG I have played in many a year...

It is just wonderful, isn't it? I got it on Thursday, and after a few dry runs, I'm well into the first part. It's everything I hoped it would be, since I love the F-P RPG. I dislike those top-down RPGs like Diablo & Baldur's Gate. First Person RPGs are SO few and far between, that when a good one like Wiz 8 comes along, it's like striking gold.
quote:

probably since the orginal lands of lore or betrayal at krondor.

Ahhh, yes - those were the days! I must have played the original Lands of Lore a good 5 times through. Never liked the other installments of 2 & 3 though.
quote:

Man i can't wait till this weekend so I'll have the time to put in a power weekend rpg session. But until then I can play 4-5 hours in the evening and be tired at work from staying up too late playing Wizardry 8!

Heh....no kidding - I lose ALL track of time. Dunno where this weekend WENT! I love everything about the game so far....and the game manual is a work of art. I wanted to play using OpenGL, but I find the game a bit dark on my video card, so I changed to Direct X so I could adjust the gamma. Amazing colours & lighting. A bit miffed at the cheesy CD packaging. A game like this deserves to have a jewell case.

What sort of characters did you set up? Pre-made or custom? I always go custom, since it is a bit more "your own"....ah well, back to the Monastery!

==Hawkwind==
Post Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:07 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-11-14 04:45, Michael C wrote:
Well I'm annoying my local EBgames store everyday now, to get the game. I got the same feeling about this game. A well done new version of the good old days RPG's.

Well, I'm guessing you have it by now, and consequently *not* posting on here, because you're totally immersed in the game, like me. So, what am *I* doing here? Good lord - I've got places to go and things to kill!

==Hawkwind==
Post Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:16 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Hehe, No my local EBgames store, still haven't got the game. They look at me as a crazy person, everyday I come in and pester them for the game. They even looked amazed, when I said that they were the worldwide distributer of this game. Well, now they at least have found the game in their long list of expected games, but still no reliable date for arrival in little Denmark aarrrggghh. Patience, patience, patience......
Post Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:47 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Michael C, I know what your feeling. I was looking forward to having a decent RPG to play until my holidays, Yet first Morrowind, now Wizardry have let me down. The expected release date here in Switzerland for the US version is December 15, I leave on the 13th.

Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 11:52 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

15 Dec. in Switzerland, well maybe this date i true in Denmark too? Patience, patience!!!

Well, "Hawkwind" and "Incindium" please torture us by revealing some game mechanics, surprises, world design, anything at all...
Just 5 small minutes of your precious wizardry time.....
Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 9:04 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

Well, "Hawkwind" and "Incindium" please torture us by revealing some game mechanics, surprises, world design, anything at all...
Just 5 small minutes of your precious wizardry time.....

You can have all the "Wizardry time" you want - since I am no longer playing it. This game is VERY disappointing.

First, I should say right off that the game is simply gorgeous, graphically. Very atmospheric, and lots of interesting scenery. Buildings and the like are well rendered and everything scrolls along very smoothly on my machine. NPCs are reasonably detailed and have unique personalities. The women NPCs all seem to have 44 double-d breasts! There's lots of humourous quips by your characters, when you do certain things.

Now to the reason why I don't like the game, and why I am no longer playing it: There is unending, relentless combat practically from the minute you set out across the outside world via the roads. That's all I ever did in the game, is fight - and die. The hell with figuring anything out! Groups of monsters - sometimes in excess of 30 at a time - are randomly - and frequently - generated. Rarely did I get more than a few yards along the road, when more would appear. It took me so long to travel between the 2 main towns that you first contact in the game, that I totally forgot why I was travelling to the other town to begin with. The game doesn't let you think - it just throws monsters at you in a continuous stream. I like the Might & Magic type of RPG where you go into an area and clean it ALL OUT. Kill EVERYTHING - period. Then, you can wander around and take your time to figure out what you're supposed to do next. In Might & Magic, all the monsters would then regenerate in that area after a couple of months of game time. But not THIS game. In THIS game, you're likely to meet such charming things as Cultist Sorceresses, two at a time (usually grouped with 2 dozen or so OTHER monsters) who have Fireball, (destroyed my entire party in 2 shots) Silence and Summon Elemental - they proceeded to generate Fire & Earth Elementals with 600 hit points EACH (your party has an average of *80* HP each) And all this after you leave the starting Dungeon (A Monestary)

The game doesn't seem to be very well balanced. The monsters I encountered always got a hit, while my party seemed to miss more often, and spells were forever fizzling. Really useful magic spell were so long in coming that even when you did get a good one, you could only cast it at around level 1.

All in all, it simply tired me out. One chap on the Official Wizardry 8 Forum said that he took 8 REAL TIME hours to travel from one town to the next. Who needs this? Guess I'll check out Gothic when it arrives, and will have to wait to look at Morrowind.

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-11-26 22:26 ]
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:24 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Hawkwind, thanx for the comments. In the demo I noticed the eternal random encounter, and I complained a little about it in this forum, but I guess I didn't expect it so dominant as you describe it. By the time your characters reach the next town, they are around level 100 or so.
BTW, did the game not come with 3 difficulties for combat? or am I mistaken?
Combat can be interesting, when it's complex, and you may have to find the right tactic to win, or be blown away, but it seems that you just is run over by enemies in massive numbers with a redicolous lot of hitpoints.
What about just running away, maybe all the way to the next town. I don't know if it's possible, I just want to keep the options open.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:20 am
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The first trip down the road from the monastery does seem unbalanced, although I didn't get the same level of opponents that Hawkwind did. I think the developers took a long look at the old tricks we've used for years and turned them against us.

Do you want advanced pcs? Well that ninja is going to develope slowly and will be a liability at first.

Like wiping the map with nuclear blast--not goung to happen. Magic is used to buff(enchanted blade usw) and to pin down(web, sleep, terror, blind).

Like to hang around areas and fatten up on easy phoots? Nope.

Hey, I'm going to skip putting points into sword skill and go right to criticals. What do mean I missed again.

So get tactical. Scout ahead(I think a ranger helps). Pick the terrain you want to fight on(keep a wall on one side/attack through doorways). Fight the enemy one group at a time(let them come to you) and run if you have to. Buff and pin with magic and don't be reluctant to use potions.

And pray that you get to level 11 quickly. Battles seem to be easier and faster at that point. But that may be wishful thinking.

Last tip: Having a bard hit everyone with slow helps alot.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:50 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-11-27 03:20, Michael C wrote:
BTW, did the game not come with 3 difficulties for combat? or am I mistaken?

Yes, it does - and I'm playing on the so-called 'easiest' level, "novice"....and that's the sort of enemies I'm facing.
quote:

Combat can be interesting, when it's complex, and you may have to find the right tactic to win, or be blown away, but it seems that you just is run over by enemies in massive numbers with a redicolous lot of hitpoints.

Sometimes it's not so much how TOUGH the enemies are, as much as how NUMEROUS they are. And the game dumps them on you by the truckload. In the road area between locations, it's not all that wide - it's surrounded by inaccessable hills along either side. Consequently, you cannot avoid hardly any of them, because you get locked into combat as soon as you're within range.
quote:

What about just running away, maybe all the way to the next town. I don't know if it's possible, I just want to keep the options open.

Didn't work for me. You DO have the option to run from within combat, but it takes you so long to get far enough away from them that by the time you do, there's ANOTHER 2 dozen or so further up the road, and you're all beat up and low on health, that you don't even get past them, and they just surround you and you're dead. It would ahve been much better if they used a similar combat system like Might and Magic, where you can turn it on and off.

==Hawkwind==
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:58 pm

quote:

Do you want advanced pcs? Well that ninja is going to develope slowly and will be a liability at first.

My problem is that NOBODY in my party was much good for anything. It seemed that they all took damage everytime a monster swung, and half the time THEIR swings (the PCs') missed or did little damage.
quote:

Like wiping the map with nuclear blast--not goung to happen. Magic is used to buff(enchanted blade usw) and to pin down(web, sleep, terror, blind).

Yeah, I had those, and either they fizzled, or hardly lasted one combat round. I got so sick of it, I quite using anything but health spells.
quote:

Hey, I'm going to skip putting points into sword skill and go right to criticals. What do mean I missed again.

Nope - I was puting ALL my skill points into boosting whatever weapon the character was specialized in - didn't seem to improve much at all. I still missed like crazy and had low damage with hits.
quote:

So get tactical. Scout ahead(I think a ranger helps). Pick the terrain you want to fight on(keep a wall on one side/attack through doorways). Fight the enemy one group at a time(let them come to you) and run if you have to. Buff and pin with magic and don't be reluctant to use potions.

Yeah, yeah - tried all those tactics. I've been playing RPGs for a hell of a long time - I know the tactics. Didn't work for me much in this game. In the towns, it WAS easier - there were doorways and you could find places to camp easier. But on the roads it's different, there are VERY few places (even if you happen to be able to REACH them) where you can control the battle. Even so, it just overwhelmed me - I never seemed to be GETTING anywhere. And camping to regain health, stamina & magic? Forget it. You'd be dead in an instant. All that I was doing was fighting, fighting, fighting, endlessly. I just don't want to play a game that throws unavoidable combat at you endlessly - I want to be able to feel I've accomplished something after cleaning out an area, and you can't do that in this game.

==Hawkwind==
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:15 am

Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Don't know what happened that it posted that message as "Anonymous" Guess it was because my ISP dumped me just as I was sending the post. Anyway, it was me, Hawkwind - not Anonymous.

==Hawkwind==
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:19 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

What level is your characters, when You leave the monestary and commence the road to hell eehh city.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 11:03 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-11-29 05:03, Michael C wrote:
What level is your characters, when You leave the monestary and commence the road to hell eehh city.

Yeah, that's accurate!

Well, I don't really recall - something like Level 5 or 6 maybe....not very high to have been dealing with monsters of that difficulty.

Well, doesn't matter anyway - I'm not playing the game, wiped it off my HD, save-games & all. I know what I like in RPGs - and I don't like this game.

==Hawkwind==
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 11:33 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next