Usergroups
Gothic 3 only on PC?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

First to clarify an incorrection, the saying has to be applied in reverse.....
there is "no smoke without fire" - suggesting there has to be a reason for any rumour.
I think Bartacus means Piranha Bytes will stay loyal to the gothic pc fanbase in the first instance, then if all goes well they may think about xbox at a later time - we must wait and see.
G1 and G2 have been successful without the xbox so far.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
First to clarify an incorrection, the saying has to be applied in reverse.....
there is "no smoke without fire" - suggesting there has to be a reason for any rumour.
I think Bartacus means Piranha Bytes will stay loyal to the gothic pc fanbase in the first instance, then if all goes well they may think about xbox at a later time - we must wait and see.

That rumor is just TOO specific to be ignored.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:16 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:

That is how you define succesful. The Sims were also succesful, but Gothic didn't even come near to those sales.
In Germany it sold great, but in the rest of the world...

If JoWooD wants to conquer America with Gothic 3 then porting it to XBox would be the thing to do in my opinion.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:

That is how you define succesful. The Sims were also succesful, but Gothic didn't even come near to those sales.
In Germany it sold great, but in the rest of the world...

If JoWooD wants to conquer America with Gothic 3 then porting it to XBox would be the thing to do in my opinion.

A console release would guarantee a world-wide recognition as well as a vastly bigger fan base, so it is a huge profit situation, the problem is money, if they can;t support the project and do not want to sell it also, then it might never happen, but i think it is a real win situation
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:03 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Ah!... but would the Gothic-3, x-box-360 version cost the same price as the pc version....?

okay, consider then, the current Oblivion prices (at my local 'Game' shop)

(a) X-box(360) collectors edition = £49.99 (inc' strategy guide)

(b) Pc collectors edition = £39.99 (inc' strategy guide)
(c) Pc standard edition = £26.99 (no strategy guide)

(d) Oblivion strategy guide (multi-platform) = £12.99

There is a difference of some £23.00 between xbox-360 and cheapest pc-versions, personally i never read manuals or guides anyway as it's part of the enjoyment to find and learn within the game.....therefore my conclusion is....the most cost effective enjoyment in playing Oblivion for me will be with the "pc standard edition" ....i could well imagine a similar price strategy being applied to the xbox(360) Gothic-3 situation..?
So yes, there would be more money/sales for the devs suppliers distributors dealers etc' .....but will the discerning rpg gamer fall for the price hype and dig deep into his/her bottomless wallet?

The pc lives on...and on....and on....
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:08 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by nasos_333
Storyline synopsis of Gothic 1-2 on manual. Problem solved !!! Come on, they would double their income and fan base with a move to xbox 360, would that stop them, it would be silly

One of the most annoying things about Morrowind is that I know there has been a predessor (hope I spelled it in an understandable way), but I never played them. It's absolutely not the same to read it in a manual, neither to get them later on. So I absolutely do not concur with your view on 'problem solved'.
Also you do speak of 'double your income when it comes on Xbox360' -> If it sells good, I agree. But that condition is where PB had some probs with.
NFG member
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:03 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
It's absolutely not the same to read it in a manual, neither to get them later on. So I absolutely do not concur with your view on 'problem solved'.

I agree with you on this. I had only played G2 and although I already knew almost the entire story from forums etc, playing Gothic 1 was awesome and something I should have done a long time ago.

Playing a game is absolutely not the same as just reading it in a manual.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:10 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
It's absolutely not the same to read it in a manual, neither to get them later on. So I absolutely do not concur with your view on 'problem solved'.

I agree with you on this. I had only played G2 and although I already knew almost the entire story from forums etc, playing Gothic 1 was awesome and something I should have done a long time ago.

Playing a game is absolutely not the same as just reading it in a manual.

Ok, so noone play Oblivion if they have not experienced arena, daggerfall and Morrowind beforehand. Now come on, it is not that big of a deal. If someone dies to play the previous ones, just get them on pc, they can run on the moddest of video cards right now, do you really think it is an option to remake 2 old games for consoles ? But getting Gothic 3 on xbox is a very viable option, with huge rewards as well, they would need some more efficient level design (smaller hubs) to fit the less ram, but that's about it, the game would sell huge on the console, especially beeing the only other amazing rpg for xbox 360 after Oblivion is already out for months
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Ok, so noone play Oblivion if they have not experienced arena, daggerfall and Morrowind beforehand.

Neither Bartacus nor I was saying that. We only said that reading some history was the same as playing a predecessor.

We were commenting on
quote:
Storyline synopsis of Gothic 1-2 on manual. Problem solved !!!

We didn't say it would mean nobody will buy it without playing the predecessors.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:08 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:
Ok, so noone play Oblivion if they have not experienced arena, daggerfall and Morrowind beforehand.

Neither Bartacus nor I was saying that. We only said that reading some history was the same as playing a predecessor.

We were commenting on
quote:
Storyline synopsis of Gothic 1-2 on manual. Problem solved !!!

We didn't say it would mean nobody will buy it without playing the predecessors.

It did seem that way though, anyway if people that woiuld get Gothic 3 on consoles had to choose NOT to have the game at all, or have it without having played the 2 first ones, then i suppose would choose to have the game no matter what
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:17 pm
Crusadus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Not everyone has a super computer required to play gothic 3 on the highest possible settings... At least there shouldnt be a lack of processing power in XBox 360.
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:52 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Crusadus
Not everyone has a super computer required to play gothic 3 on the highest possible settings... At least there shouldnt be a lack of processing power in XBox 360.

True, it is a real pitty nothing on a xbox 360 version was mensioned in E3, they just miss on millions of eager console customers, hope someone pay them to develop it for consoles and publish it too soon, it owuld sell as huge as Oblivion given the right advertisement
Post Fri May 12, 2006 11:39 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I think they'd be foolish not to release the game on the new Xbox, as much as I hate to admit that.

This is what I'd do: release Gothic 3 on Xbox and if it's as good as it sounds, it will sell like crazy. One of the big complaints about the Xbox series of consoles is the lack of good CRPG's.

Then, if Gothic 3 sells, convert 1 and 2 and put them on a 'value' priced disk, because people will be hungry for more and they can make more money from the first two games. From what I understand, converting games back and forth from the Xbox and PC is fairly easy. I just think there is an untapped market in the US for these games; even the first two games still play really well, look great, and it's a shame the people that made the Gothic games aren't benefitting financially for their excellent work in the US.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 6:35 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
I think they'd be foolish not to release the game on the new Xbox, as much as I hate to admit that.

This is what I'd do: release Gothic 3 on Xbox and if it's as good as it sounds, it will sell like crazy. One of the big complaints about the Xbox series of consoles is the lack of good CRPG's.

Then, if Gothic 3 sells, convert 1 and 2 and put them on a 'value' priced disk, because people will be hungry for more and they can make more money from the first two games. From what I understand, converting games back and forth from the Xbox and PC is fairly easy. I just think there is an untapped market in the US for these games; even the first two games still play really well, look great, and it's a shame the people that made the Gothic games aren't benefitting financially for their excellent work in the US.

Oblivion sold so huge on consoles, they better get it up on xbox if they want to be known to most people, now i see barely anyone that knows the series in gaming forums
Post Sat May 13, 2006 7:39 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic will indefinately be on PC, as allmost everything is. I think it will get to the consoles, because PB want to get the US market, and not mainly Europe. Even though they probably will be very succesful with just pc, they will also benefit greatly from consoles.

On a side note: Im affraid that G3 will be more arcade action rather than adventure action. Looking at the recent new in-game footage, It looks just like another game. The camera moves with the mouse, its not fixed...I HATE THAT!!!!
Post Sat May 13, 2006 8:44 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next