Gamespot Article - Massively in Need of Improvement
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stormwaltz

I think you guys involved in the Ninth Domain project have as good a plan as I've seen for PVP... and I am a huge advocate for this type of play, only to be dissapointed at the attempts so far. How are things going with Ninth Domain? Did you guys find new funding? All the site info seems to be hidden now behind the splash page, is there an update coming?

Also, are you guys granting press interviews? I just noticed our database here at rpgdot does not contain the info on Ninth Domain, but I will go in and make the addition. An exclusive interview would be nice to add to it

Thanks!

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

...Don't rob someone of hope; hope may be all they have.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:12 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:
Originally posted by Stormwaltz

I long for the day when someone manages to ship a title that combines the best aspects of "game" and "world." Short-term, inconsequential fun and long-term meaningful impact meets everyone's needs. And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a flying magic cookie pony.

I have a good feeling that Ultima X: Odyssey will come a long way towards such a game.
From what I've read so far it will combine some good things that I've seen in other games.
What are your thoughts on that title?

And to comment on permadeath in mmorpg's: I don't like it. The idea of investing hours or days into a character that could be wiped out for good just doesn't appeal to me at all. It will indeed be a grievers wet dream. And you don't wanna reward grievers in a game.
If there will ever be a game that has it I will make sure to stay far from it.

By the way, loved AC1 Storm! One of the best mmorpg's I've ever played
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:44 am
Stormwaltz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Christation
How are things going with Ninth Domain? Did you guys find new funding? All the site info seems to be hidden now behind the splash page, is there an update coming?

No funding yet, though we're still talking to people. You're not the only person who can't get beyond the splash page, but we haven't been able to reproduce the problem ourselves. If you have scripts disabled in your browser, the site won't work - it may be that your security/privacy settings are too high.

quote:
Also, are you guys granting press interviews?

We are, but given that we're all dispersed and working out of our homes (we had to vacate our offices, and the state of California is currently giving us our "paychecks"), we're terribly behind schedule on them. You can direct official requests to DanS@TektonicStudios.com.

Personally, given how the project is teetering on the abyss of vaporware, I'm not sure we or the MMP community are bettered by interviews done right now. If we get funding, it's almost certain that elements of the design will have to change according to the preferences of our publisher. If we don't, we've wasted everyone's time and raised hopes for nothing.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:46 am
Stormwaltz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Snoekie

I have a good feeling that Ultima X: Odyssey will come a long way towards such a game. From what I've read so far it will combine some good things that I've seen in other games. What are your thoughts on that title?

What I've read thus far places UXO heavily in the "it's a game, not a world" camp. They have lots of good ideas on maintaining fun - I like the unconsciousness/death system and teleport invites a lot. However, there's little provision for the sort of game-wide persistence necessary for long-term world play. As I read it, all questing will be in instanced content, where you can ignore most of the server population, and they aren't effected by what you do. PvP is completely divorced from the "real world," taking place on separate maps. There's no capability to build towns. At ship, there won't be any ability to craft at all - only public outcry when the game was unveiled convinced the team to add tradeskills post-ship.

I think the Saturday morning cartoon look of the game sums it up nicely. It's not trying to be a world - it wants to be fun first and foremost. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think it will attract many people - but it's not what I'm personally looking to play.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2