Usergroups
Gothic = a product of bugs and bad programming code
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Jeff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Jaz, I have never played daggerfall. What I was saying is, gothic is the buggiest game I have ever played on my pc. I have over 50 titles in my library and Gothic is the absoulte buggiest of them all.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:55 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I have played about 300, my friend. I'd say Gothic is amongst the 20 with the fewest bugs.

It will be interesting to hear about the bugs you encountered...

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:59 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The problem with Gothicīs bugs is that most of them are random. I donīt want to start a new bugs discussion, we had many of them before. All I wanna say is that I didnīt have most of the bugs other people had. No graphic issues, no corrupted savegames.
IMO the game contains some minor bugs, and 3 or 4 serious AI related issues which should have been fixed a long time ago.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:02 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hey Jeff, no sweat. I have about 200 game originals, played about 95% to the bitter end... and - as a rule - the buggiest games were also those offering the player the most options regarding gameplay.

My absolute record in bugs was Daggerfall, as yours was Gothic. Oh, how I loved the world, though. Too bad Redguard didn't hold the standard (in terms of freedom of action, not bugs ).

As I said, I don't deny the Gothic bugs. They're just blotted out by the game's immersive atmospheric glory.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:06 pm
Jeff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Perhaps it is widows XP which is causing the bugs I have been having. I know that when I played the demo awhile back on win98 I had no bugs at all. As for you Rendelius, it would take me ten pages to write out all the bugs I have encounterd. The most annoying one I can think of is, after I quite Gothic, I must restart my system in order to play it again. Anyways, I have win98 on another hard drive. Guess I will try it out and see what happens. And yes I have updated all my drivers for XP. XP has no troubles running my other games(even dos ones)Its just Gothic it has quirk with.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:19 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

You can bet on Windows XP for being part of the problem. When Gothic came out in Germany, I ran it on 98 SE and had no major problems at all. Generally, it was recognized in print magazines all around germany, that the game was a near bugfree release, and I haven't discovered a serious one while I played.

When the US version cam out, it contained all bugfixes that were released in the german version. I installed it on XP, and instantly had graphics problems - but those were related to NVidia drivers, not to Gothic. Gothic sucked with the 21.83, and it was perfect with the 23.11 drivers.

I am really convinced that Gothic itself contains no show stoppers. To compare it with Ultima IX is laughable. Either you don't remember the initial release of U9 or you don't know what you are talking about. U9 was a nightmare itself.

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:26 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

one additional word about XP: there is a legion of people (me amongst them) having random crashes with XP caused by the detonator drivers, just when we surf or write text. People with AMD processors (but not only those) are unable to run APG 4x without being booted out of the system within minutes. It is rumored that the latest drivers will fix the problem, but so far, NVidia, MS and VIA are blaming each other for being the cause of the fault. VIA forums contain about 4.000 postings on that issue, and nobody was able to fix this so far.

It is interseting that no major site deals with that problem. BTW - a common symptom is that when you leave Quake 3, your system crashes

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:32 pm
Jeff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Right now I am using the offical drivers from Nvidia 21.83. I tried using the detonator ones but it just made matters worse. You mentioned 21.11 as being the best drivers to use for this game. Arn't those drivers specifically made for Win98/95?
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:41 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

1) Detonator drivers are clearly marked as beta when downloaded. Everytime I d/l detonator drivers I *ALWAYS* end up re-installing my factory-shipped drivers cause the detonators are gonna mess up one (or more) of your games' graphics, cause they suck
2) If u guys are having all these bugs problems, so sorry, I've yet to encounter 1.
Then again, I dont cut wood with butterknives (ie- I have a great system).

3) Game is so bug-filled: Then
* why play it? (or better yet)
* why come HERE and tell us how bad the bugs are? Most people who post here love the game
God helps those who help themselves.

Game wont get any better by you trolling here
(Although its giving me a good laugh, thank you)
support@piranha-bytes.com
(hey, try here, things will look up for you)
or better yet
http://www.dell.com
http://www.gateway.com
These are people that will turn your frown
And remember, tomorrow's Friday (payday)
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:12 pm
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

All this talk about your computer not being powerful enough..please lame excuse! I am running Gothic off a P500, Win98, with a TNT2 32meg/64 k cache 3d card(the Cougar system), with 256 RAM, with everything pretty much stock....I installed the patch and no problem. Its not your systems power its your systems configuration and bluntly all these 1.whatever Ghz systems are equipted with XP and it in a word...sucks...XP will be running smoothly next year when they put out the v.1.2 or something....come on its Microsoft it can't work right the first time through. That be sacrilege. Bluntly your system is too advanced for the game to run right under the settings and if you have only 98 RAM or less you fooling yourself about what your new ghz computer can do. Memory is the key to almost all of these games, not the processor, if you got the right 3D card with at least 16 megs and 128 + RAM you can run anything that says otherwise...hell my system ran Max Payne on 64 Megs of RAM before I got my new chip set in the mail, the right 3D card is paramount so it works in tandom with the memory to hold the game steady as it crunches the numbers....If you can't get it to function patch it, if that fails then your system needs work.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:16 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I HAD problems with my system crashing just as Rendelius described... when playing Gothic, when writing or surfin, whatever. But the problems started BEFORE I installed XP. Actually, I installed XP just BECAUSE of those crashes (didn't help, though).

Clocking down the processor did help, though - no crash since then. My board probably doesn't like my processor.

=I LIKED GOTHIC, BUGS OR NO BUGS.=

(And I want this old geezer under my name to go away! I hate him! Go away, will ya! Go away!)
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:21 pm
Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hey Jeff..I got a

1 ghz Athlon
512 MB Ram
Asus V7700 GTS AGP GForce 2 32 MB Ram

And the game runs PERFECT on my machine..

I have all details an everything on..So before you start fucking up this VERY GREAT game you should get a comp..ok

So you see your machine is NOT highend before you got at least 1.8 ghz Athlon or more..ok
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:26 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

jeff, 23.11 - not 21.11.
They are not beta, but not certified either. They give the best results for me, but your mileage may vary.
Forget 21.83, either from your manufacturer or NVidia. They were the first XP drivers and DO have serious issues.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:45 pm
Zachariah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Seems to me that this is no longer a discussion pertaining to the game, rather, a platform to brag on systems.
Hmm,PC systems, seen as status symbols,now theres a thought.......

[ This Message was edited by: Zachariah on 2002-01-31 17:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Zachariah on 2002-01-31 17:21 ]
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:18 pm
red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The only way to deal with Gothic is to return it to the store you bought it at or sell it. It's Piranha Bytes and Xicat Interactive's fault for releasing the game that says XP compatible on the box, but is not. If they are going to write something like that, they better be damn well sure it REALLY is Win XP COMPATIBLE, not a bug filled nightmare.

When I was playing it on Win98SE, it ran like the developers had intended it to (20 FPS, pretty pathetic), but the game had great gameplay, a great story, nice AI, but a crappy combat system.

Basically, I am not going back to Win98SE just to play Gothic. There is NO GAME ON EARTH I would do that for, because Win XP is about 100 times more stable than Win98SE, Win98, or Win95. Win XP is quite a bit faster than them also.

I returned my copy of Gothic to EB, and I am very glad I did.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:46 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next