SP and NPC , more ramblings
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

SP and NPC , more ramblings

The spell power circles are all green, most spells, but the last circle is empty. Will They all fill up eventually? I imagine level strength has something to do with wiTh it. I'm at level 22 in Ascension Peak with NAS 81 and Val.
Why do some of you not use NPC's? Faster level ups?
How long was your longest battle? I just had a 90 minute one with the Rapax Prince and priestesses. 3 restarts .
The Diamond and Adamite Mares are beautifully drawn.
Please suggest your favorite 4 person group. I'm thinking, Psionic(never had one),Gadgeteer,bard(?) or Ninja and fighter.
Are there better drops and faster level ups on normal verses novice? I switch around sometimes starting out.
Thanks again, I'm going around third time, unbelievable for me!
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:52 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The last circle in your spell power window is used, when the power of the spell, should regulate it self according to what is needed. An example could be the "cure poison" spell. Instead of choosing the right power to get rid of all the poison, you can push the last circle, and the power will be automatically adjusted to get rid of the poison. If not even the maximum power should be enough the spell will automatically recast until either the poison is gone or your charcter runs out of mana.

Not using NPC's ofcourse reduces your group to maximum 6 characters, but it also extend the experience points for the fewer characters. So, yes faster level ups is a good reason!

A dynamic 4 group could be:

Fairy Mage
Human Bishop
Fairy Ninja
Lizard fighter

On "normal" and "hard" level, you will in general meet higher level monsters, and they also gives you more experience point for killing them.

I had a fight ones against 62 creatures at the same time in rapax rift, and it took me ca. 30 minuts to overcome them with a powerfull party first time around!
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:20 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Being an anal-retentive party builder, I find that RPCs really don't add much to the mix. Hiring Myles to do locks and traps (for instance) means that I didn't properly cover that skill in creating my party. I find that RPCs just muck up the chemistry of my party. The "extra" experience is just a minor side-benefit in my book.

Wiz8 may be a game where RPCs can add something to the experience, though. In particular, Val is supposed to add story-related comments when she's in the party. I planned on adding her to the party once to see what she had to say, but I just couldn't force myself to keep her.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:42 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Not anal at all I picked this party from a hat.Mook gadgeteer, Psi guy,fighter,Ninja,rogue and a Monk. They seem OK but again Identifying and mixing potions may be a problem. Is Alchemy a necessity for mixing potions?
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:21 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Your psionic and monk will be able to learn the ID Item spell, so that's not a concern.

Your ninja covers the alchemy book and yes alchemy skill is required to mix potions.

I'd be more concerned about the missing divine book. Your party doesn't have a lord, valk, priest, or bishop. Not having the magic screen spell would be a problem in my book. If you changed your gadg to a bard, you might be able to pull it off.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:47 am
otter
One of Us

Or change the Rogue, and have a Bard and Gad...(if you're starting over, or you got a pretty smart Rogue...)
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:01 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Clarification to novice/normal/hard difficulty level v. experience. For killing the same monsters, you get the same experience. But on the harder levels you may get more or harder monsters, thus getting more XP. (I checked my manual pp. 16-17: there is nothing in the documentation about difficulty level affecting the # or type of monster; it only documents to hit, damage, and spell resistance/damage.)

Treasure drops seem to be the same for all levels for the same monsters. But again, if you're pulling in harder monsters, you have a better shot at getting better stuff dropped.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:07 am
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

I know I've said this before (there was an extensive conversation about RPCs on another thread) but the main reason why I don't want them is that there are some places where cowardly RPCs (like Myles) just won't go. So the rest of your party goes there, and when they get back, probably having gained several levels in the process, it turns out that Myles has been standing around in Arnika twiddling his thumbs. I don't blame him - there doesn't seem to be all that much to do in Arnika - but he hasn't been getting any experience. There's no point in hiring someone who will always be several levels lower than the rest of your party.

As I have said, RPCs would be much better if they could go anywhere. And if they can't, at least let them level up with the party while in abscence.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:18 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Clarification to novice/normal/hard difficulty level v. experience. For killing the same monsters, you get the same experience. But on the harder levels you may get more or harder monsters, thus getting more XP. (I checked my manual pp. 16-17: there is nothing in the documentation about difficulty level affecting the # or type of monster; it only documents to hit, damage, and spell resistance/damage.)

Treasure drops seem to be the same for all levels for the same monsters. But again, if you're pulling in harder monsters, you have a better shot at getting better stuff dropped.

Ex. A level 24 Rapax Warlock gives you more experience points than a level 18 Rapax Warlock

On "Normal" and "Hard" level, you meet monsters with better magical resistance, and better fighting abilities, thus it's the same "type" of monsters you meet on all difficulty settings, but instead the monster "level" is higher on the same type of monsters, giving them better fighting abilities and higher resistances to magic and bad ailments!

Maybe some auto leveling in monsters regarding to your characters level also regulate that factor, but I'm quite sure the difficulty setting also do!
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:20 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Not having the magic screen spell would be a problem in my book

Are there any Magic screen scrolls?There must be a way around the lack of Magic Screen except dying alot. My scientific Picking from a hat is staying for now, I may change later but not sure of who or when. Some fights are from a distance and magic is necessary. Runnning into the middle to melee' is an alternative that works also but Enemy casters never miss (hardly). Can Pro Magic rings help? Eye for an eye definately may.No magic screen is a challenge but not unsurmountable, I think:-? . Time will tell. any thoughts welcome!
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:49 pm
otter
One of Us

I've finished 3 times with no casting at all, not even Music or Gadgets, and 2 other times with no Magic Screen caster.
My all-time favorite foursome:
Hobbit Samurai
Rawulf Lord
Mook Bard-Fighter
Hobbit Bishop
Sam for Sword bonus, Lord for Dual bonus (Mauler/DE) and Mook for the really big knife.
A small-to-tiny party really has only one use for an RPC, and that's in the case of an absent party member. None of the RPC's have been developed the way i would, and therefore have wasted their levels so far, which i have no reason to abide with. If one had a unique ability, maybe i'd be interested.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:49 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by otter
A small-to-tiny party really has only one use for an RPC, and that's in the case of an absent party member. None of the RPC's have been developed the way i would, and therefore have wasted their levels so far, which i have no reason to abide with. If one had a unique ability, maybe i'd be interested.
With a well balanced party, you don't need RPCs. But if you're not planning on replaying the game, then maybe you want RPCs to play with classes not in your party. Ex: I didn't have a gadgie first time through (imported Wiz7 party, which didn't have gadgies), and never recruited Madras because I though I could do better with other RPCs. But this time through, I picked 5 of 6 new classes for my party, and found out I love the gadgie class which I missed completely. If I didn't have the plan to replay it, I definitely would have experimented with Madras.

Also, some RPCs, especially Vi, do add stuff to the story at points. Even though she won't go to Bayjin, she warns you about Nessie before she leaves. If you ascend with her at AP, she fills in the story line. I liked Drazic & Rodan's commentary during the unification quests. (Yes, the Rapax themselves tell you about their alliance, but Drazic & Rodan give this part of the story depth.)

But Otter's right: once you know the story, and you have a well thought out party, RPCs aren't needed.
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:30 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

My Party from a hat got stomped by a plant (95hp!) on the Arnika road at Lvl 6. no matter what I tried there was not enough fight so I restarted with a new party and 2 fighters, Abard, A gadgeteer, A priest, and a Samurai.Since the monsters match the party Levels, Average levels or highest member?, This group should be able to go the distance easier. Getting stomped by a cabbage was embarrasing, I even couldnt run away fast enough ! What level alchemy can my alchemy guy start mixing? My new party made it to Arnika road at level 1, now I'm leveling up 7 times at once. That Walking cabbage is a salad.
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:26 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Nobody can accuse you of picking boring parties...

I think (otter might know for certain) that the autoleveller looks at the lowest level in the party. It sticks in my brain that someone tried to get around the autoleveller by stockpiling XP levels on just one member of their party- the rest of the party developed normally.

Some of those plants are pretty tough, so don't feel too bad. I lost a level 9 party to 4 sprites with 25 HP a piece a while back. There's a thread a while back that details the tougher battles folks here have had, as well as some battles we hate to admit to (sorta like your "salad days" )

The first possible mix requires your alchemy skill to be 15. You don't need to worry about that with your current party since nobody has (or will get) the alchemy skill.

BTW, I'm interested how your latest crew progresses. You're certainly weak in spellcasting at the moment, but once your samurai starts casting, you'll have access to most of the good buff spells. Should be interesting, and the battles should be short once you get into melee range!
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:22 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

No Alchemy! I should really plan my parties. My battles are short and XP is also low since my fighters kill quickly. without mixing for profit this party is lacking, maybe a Ranger NPC can help. Serves me right, poor but mighty in melee.must rethink.
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:31 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next