Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Fable: The Lost Chapters (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
DAJUIL

Fable

the most asomest game in the universe

:lo:

Spoiler:

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:33 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So I finally got around to trying this game. Wasnt expecting much. You know what? Its got alot going for it.

CONS:
- Too linear
- Horrible Console Save System
- Really a half RPG action title
- Reeks of consolitis in many aspects

PROS:
- Excellent production values. Art, music - feels like a "Fable". Well done.
- Hilarious game. Really. Some great NPC lines like when a bandit guarding a door tells me "You can't be serious. I'm no expert at infiltration but don't you think you ought to at least give it some effort and dress like a bandit?" There is lots of that kind of stuff on quest and its pretty damn funny.
- Fun combat. I can pop off heads all day long with my bow. It never gets old. Pretty decent melee and very frantic.
- Imaginative quests. They are just alot of fun. I've had two puzzles so far that were actually pretty damn hard!
- The interface is very slick despite it contributing to the "non immersive" RPG linearity. The quest cards, mapping radar all that stuff. Once you get over it not being a serious RPG, the streamlined interface keeps the game going and its just "fun". Teleporting, quest cards and radar map really work here.
- The evil vs. good thing is fun to mess around with. NPC reactions are like a mini game and its pretty interesting.
- Fun graphics. Great to look at. Sure its consolish but on the PC its damn pretty.
- Totally (and I mean totally) bug free. At least so far.

Conclusion:
Does the game insult our intelligence? Yes and no. As an "RPG" yes, but the parody factor really carries it. Try the "lost boy in cave" quest. Totally cookie cutter RPG - but the ending is simply hilarious.
The whole "good and evil" thing plays a surprisingly small part in the game but it does shape the quest selections. For example I've earned 2 quests that totally oppose each other, savior or butcher. I'm treading the evil line so that makes perfect sense. I'm at the crossroad. I'm glad the system is there - it adds a nice dimension to the game but its not really all its billed to be. Bottom line is - if you can accept the game as a half RPG action game you might just love it. If not, you'll hate it. I'm having a blast with it.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 2:07 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I played Fable through to the end. To say the game is linear is an understatement. You really can't go anywhere in that game. Want to see what's on the other side of that fence? Sorry. Want to jump in that lake and see if there's anything on the bottom? Too bad. There's very few places where you can actually explore in Fable.The map sections are also very small, so there's a lot of load screens.

What can I say? Gothic really spoiled me.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yup Gothic is my favorite series. I wouldnt compare Fable to that though - and I think the problem most people have with Fable is they can't get beyond that type of comparison. Fable is NOT a real RPG. Fable is an action RPG and a parody.

So I take it you didn't like the game?
Post Thu May 25, 2006 2:29 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
Yup Gothic is my favorite series. I wouldnt compare Fable to that though - and I think the problem most people have with Fable is they can't get beyond that type of comparison. Fable is NOT a real RPG. Fable is an action RPG and a parody.

So I take it you didn't like the game?

I liked it as I mentioned in my review of the PC version. I mention that only because I bring up Gothic as an example in the review:

quote:
One thing that is missing is side-stories. There are explanations attached to quests, but they begin and end with the quest, and your only role is to play hero and save the day. This is better than the FedEx style quests in many action-RPG's, but is lacking compared to classic epic RPG's. For example, in Gothic 2 there is a character called ‘Constantino' a loud-mouthed rich noble who hangs around the local bar and berates the townsfolk. You learn about him from a few different people, and then have the opportunity to ‘teach him some manners' as part of an alchemist's experiment. Then you can discuss him with someone else and hand off his ring as a reward. The character is part of the living world, just passing through while on his quest. But in Fable everything plays as if the world begins and ends with you, which makes the world feel even less alive.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 3:11 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'll read your review tonight - its blocked here at work.

The Gothic comparison bothers me though.

Humor me with an anology. Many years ago Siskel and Ebert decided they were going to "lighten up" on their reviews of action movies since they were constantly beating them sensless in reviews. Their argument was that it was pointless to benchmark them against heavier films since they had totally different entertainment objectives.

Finally, they started getting good reviews.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 3:52 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:

I actually give Fable a good review, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was just providing some context based on the hype about the game doing everything and being everything. I was providing a frame of reference that talked about the story and quests and how you fit into the world.

I wasn't rating Fable as referenced by Gothic, just using Gothic as the basis of an analogy.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:07 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I don't know why you're so flustered over the Gothic comparisons. There aren't really too many rpg's that use a 3rd person, over the top\behind camera view like they do. Add to the fact that the camera is almost exactly the same distance from your character in both games, and of course there's going to be comparisons. Even some of the sword\axe combos were vaguely similar.

I'm not saying they should be compared quality wise of course. Fable isn't one tenth the game that Gothic is, in my opinion.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:10 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

You know I missed the whole hype machine behind Fable. Since it was an xBox title I pretty much ignored it. I assumed it would be designed with lots of contraints due to the platform and target audience.

I did hear that it was like Halo - a PC game gone console so I knew there would be a port. My only real disappointment right now is the save system. I was well over an hour into a quest and I wanted to go to bed and not lose the quest state. When I faced TwinBlades I was thinking "oh sh*t". Of course the pattern was pretty obvious and I carry a virtual orchard of apples

I killed 18 guards last night and kicked a chicken 29.12 yards. Is that wrong?
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:15 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
I don't know why you're so flustered over the Gothic comparisons. There aren't really too many rpg's that use a 3rd person, over the top\behind camera view like they do. Add to the fact that the camera is almost exactly the same distance from your character in both games, and of course there's going to be comparisons. Even some of the sword\axe combos were vaguely similar.

I'm not saying they should be compared quality wise of course. Fable isn't one tenth the game that Gothic is, in my opinion.

Who's flustered? Maybe you fall into the camp I described earlier - you have the "Siskel and Ebert" prejudice against fluffier content.

You don't kick chickens in Gothic, the bandits don't crack jokes and you don't get a handy dandy radar. They were never attempting to make Gothic.

I don't know - how about a new genre label like "Disney RPG"?
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:25 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:

:wink:

In all honesty though, you might be right about the "Siskel and Ebert" syndrome. I don't tend to favor games with too much lighthearted humor in them. I prefer the dark, gritty atmosphere type games like Gothic 1&2, System Shock 2, and the Thief series .

Ahh, just thinking about System Shock 2 brings back fond memories. Now that was an RPG with atmosphere. I can't wait for Bioshock.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:42 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
I don't know - how about a new genre label like "Disney RPG"?

Hey - then you're messing with Toontown!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 6:30 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Damn I need to spend some time on gamerdad.com tonight!

JDR13,

For the most part I do as well - but I also get kicks out of mind numbingly simple games like Serious Sam so maybe I have a higher tolerance for different types of games that might lose other people's interests.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 6:39 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I quite enjoyed the 1st Serious Sam myself. Different genre though.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Both Serious Sam and Fable are among my favorite entertainment titles. I mean, any game with a chainsaw and a P-Funk multiplayer model in it is a winner by definition, and so is any game where you can go on a murderous rampage in a shiny dress.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 10:36 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next