Maybe sometimes
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Xardas character is one of most interesting I've ever encountered in a computer game. The Gothic saga is as much HIS story as it is yours.

The unlikely relationship bewteen Xardas and the hero is fascinating to me. At its deepest level it is almost like a mentor-student type thing. Or maybe even father/son (Star Wars LOL!!).

On the surface he appears to be your ally, but even in Gothic I, there is a sense that he is not telling you everything. Indeed I will admit that only sensed this feeling AFTER finishing Gothic 2 (of course, you all know the ending) and replaying G1. His behavior in both games in convicingly tied together by the plot elements. His collapse in the Sleeper temple, a confusing moment when I first played G1, makes perfect sense now.

But anyway, I think the character of Xardas is too complicated to just turn into an "ultimate evil" bad guy. I've got a feeling that your relationship with him will continue in ways that are not readily apparent. We'll just have to wait and see....
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:06 pm
Selfidias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think you all wrong because Xardas helpd the hero to destroy the barrier maybe it is his own intrest but after that he teleported you to his tower and saved your life. Than he helped in the fight whit the dragons, if you riding in his Library under the monastery you know he is always want to help the Chosen One and he do exactly that. I think Xardas is an intresting charakter but NOT Evil. Just Remember He is study Black magic only for get the answer of the barrier. He is want to brake it down and he knowed , not the magicans done something wrong. he thought there must be something else, something dark and evil, and he was right, there is the sleeper . I thik in the end of gothic 2 he is just go forward to can help you in the Gothic 3. Im think to in the gothic 3 you ask him about his disaperance and you get a satisfactional answer. BUT bthat is The PB work.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:21 pm
Jackie
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

From your post i can understand that you are new here.
Wellcome to the forum!
We will help you for anything you want!
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:10 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

you might be new but I have to agree with you selfidias. Xardas ain't evil, maybe a lust for power, but just like he helped you with the sleeper and the dragon, will he help you again. Maybe he knows of an even greater danger than the dragonbs and the sleeper but to fully understand it he needs the power of the dragon for something. Xardas is not evil or good He is Chaotic neutral he is the balance between the good chosen one and the bad chosen one
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:34 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You know he didn't want you to destroy the last dragon and Xardas was a necromancer. So maybe Xardas created the bone dragon himself?

Xardas is a bit power-hungry since he left the fire magician guild and became a necromancer and necromancy is basically one of the strongest magic teachings overall.
M essages
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:10 pm
Jackie
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I believe that Xandras is not evil.
Because he didnt send us to our main quest.KILL THE UNDEAD DRAGON!
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:19 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well he has his own purposes and willings for more power etc and he used u to get that power becose without the hero he could not recive all that but for sure he will not use the powers of black magic against u or anybody over the seas tho he has somekind of own purposes for what he will use those powers , and we most likely will see that in G3. if he choosed beliar then there over seas somewhere must be somekind of temple where the whole CORE exists and u cannot most probably enter the place if u dont have that kind of power that the sleeper or the undead dragon had and xardas most likely wants to see what lies behind that temple
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Eat_Lead
Village Leader
Village Leader

Xardas is good IMHO as by being a chaotic neutral he infact is keeping the balance between Innos and Beliar."ME" is just a tool for Xardas to achive this
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:24 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

When I get my hands on this sneaky bastard.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:52 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Xardas helped - and even saved - the main char ONLY because he knew, that this person is only one who can get him to his ultimate goal. He doesn't help you out of his pure heart and good will, he helps you because he needs you to get his own goals fulfilled. He knows that there is no one else who can do it. Frankly, if he would have succeeded in G1 with his plan, he most likely would not have saved the main char from the ruins, simply because he didn't need him anymore. But he failed, so he needed the main char again, because Xardas knows that the main char is the Chosen of Innos and thus, only one able to actually get to the "bottom of things".

So from this point of view, yes, he is evil. But make no mistake - he is not stupid. He also does know that, as I said, the main char IS the Chosen of Innos, so basically also only one able to beat up whatever Beliar summons and sends against him or the world. Xardas knows that if he would try to do something what the Sleeper tried, or the Undead Dragon, then eventually his path and main chars path would cross. And he is smart enough to realize that the main char would be a match for him

That leaves one to think about what will happen further. If main char and Xardas would confront each other, result is unknown to both. Both are equal and can beat the lights out of each other, so becoming the "boss of all evil" now that the Undead Dragon is gone, and risk the fight with the main char, is not a smart thing to do. Sure, Xardas doesn't know yet all the strength what he gained, he's just learning it, but as he has already seen twice, the main char has overcome all obstacles so far with relative ease, which shows that he is also advancing in his power and strength and learning about it. So, heck knows how it plays out, cards are open to Xardas and main char and they know each other. We'll have to see. Maybe they both will eventually fight each other, maybe they will combine their strength against something else, no idea, we will see.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:34 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yups nicely explained again xardas used u to finish his own goals without the hero he wouldent have done it cos The Sleeper and the undead dragons are both beliars and Xardas is serving beliar so he actually cannot and wont kill those 2 creatures , someone else can do it and it is you
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:10 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2