Just got the call! :)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Just got the call! :)

Just got the call from EB saying my copy has arrived, going to go pick it up in a few. Now I'll finally get to see if this game really has all these problems with framerate and such. My vid card is pretty low-end, so Iam hoping it wont. I just dont want any severe lag.

I'll give my thoughts as soon as I can
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:00 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Good luck!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:32 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Indeed...looking forward to seeing how your rig handles it, Pak!~
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:18 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, I also look forward to your first impressions.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:05 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Not me.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:11 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Alright then, so I got it, now, here are my specs, and my findings so far (its pretty long, cause its an account of what I did in game) :

Processor - AMD Athlon (T-bird) @ 1.2ghz
Memory - 768mb pc-133
Vid card - Radeon 64mb ddr (7200 I think its called now)
Sound Card - SB Live Value
Hard Drive - 30gb 7200rpm

Here we go:

It installed nicely as in most cases so far, fast with no problems. I started the game @ 1600x1200 just to see what things look like. The intro was nice, no real problems there, was a little jumpy during the movie part though. Got into the game, and right away was astonished! I had everything full, and it was bearable for the most part. The first bad thing I noticed, was that parts of people were missing. The guy u see 1st off had no left leg, and the guard was missing his arm and left leg I think this is a driver thing. I went out of the ship, and just stood looking at things for a minute, WOW! Was a little jumpy on my system cause I still had everything at full, just to see how things looked, but not bad. Got started into the character creation part, and things were going pretty good. Not too jumpy, but this is still with everything max. I went through a bit more, tried out the 1st weapon u get, and then it locked up So I re-started, and after that it hasnt locked up since So, I get outside and start talking to NPCs, and they look and react real cool but then I noticed some white splotches popping up evey now and again I think this goes with the driver problem idea. After talking to some NPCs, I decide to go look around, find some things to kill. I found some mudcrabs, and headed over to one, but as soon as I got near it, my computer kinda frooze for a few seconds, then came back again. I didnt really care, cause its still maxed out. I went on to kill it, and all was well. But then at the next crab, it frooze again for a few seconds. Then I noticed it did it even when there was no crab, just at some random interval. I was kinda mad, cause it was running fairly smooth with everything maxed except for that freeze now and again. So I put the res down to 1024x768 (or what ever) and dropped shadows to half, and view distance to 3/4. After that, things were running pretty smooth, but that freeze was still there I tried going right down to 800x600, with everything @ lowest, and it still did it, and those splotches were still there. The disapearing arms thing didnt happen again though. Thats the story so far, it seems really nice and solid, except for the glitches mentioned, but I am leaning to a driver issue for those, I'll have to try other drivers, cause I have the latest now and see what happens.

So, everything was running pretty smooth even with everything maxed, sound is awsome! The voice acting IS great, and the music as we know is great too. I've never played a game with the same feel to it, but its a real good experience. If I can get that freeze to go away, and those splotches, I think I will play it with all @ max, but even at like 1020x768 with everything mid level it looked nice, and ran real nice for me. For those with even lower systems, @ 800x600 with everything @ lowest, it reminded me of the graphics in the Wizardry 8 demo. The landscape was kinda blurry, but the models were still real good. (so if you've played that, it might give you an idea of what to expect if you have to use lowest settings)

(BTW - If you have any ideas about the glitches I am having, feel free to help me out )
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:35 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Great! Be sure too let us know more. What character did you make?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:45 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I read several other threads about this freezing. It is not your PC I think. People say that it sometimes load "part of world" and you can see something like "loading...", but it sometimes do same thing without this message.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:49 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Thats possible. Maybe I'll re-install the game to my newly fomatted 2nd hard drive I was using for storage, if it is a loading thing that might speed it up a bit.

I just kinda fiddled around with a character, and made a male Nordic names Sandaval, class Barbarian, and birth sing Warrior. Not sure if I'll kepp it, but I reall like the battle axe I have

Yep, as soon as I get things to my liking, I will give a new report on what I think.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:03 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I am planning dark elf swordmage (or how they call it) born under sign of mage.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:07 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I just got the call from Mommy that she got the call from EB, too.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:05 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
I just got the call from Mommy that she got the call from EB, too.

LOL

Well, I installed a different set of drivers, re-installed morrowind (wouldnt let me move it to my 2nd(F drive though ) Now its running real good. The White splotches are gone, and things are going smooth. That wierd loading/freezing thing is still there though, but doesnt usually bother me. This game is really cool, I am just walking everywhere and things look so nice I have to stop and look at the trees (or whatever u'd call'em). I even stopped to watch some wierd creatures. Only thing I have left to find out, is if intense fighting, or magiking will bogged things down too much.

Definatly worth the money, best game I've played since DAoC or Gothic by far.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:40 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Very nice Pak...glad to hear things smoothed out for you. Many people have suggested a freshly defragged HD before installing MW, I guess that every little bit of speed you can eek out helps. I defragged last night and will be doing so again probably Sunday (game should be here Monday.)

Keep us informed...I enjoy reading reviews, and not just negativity over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again..
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:06 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

40 minutes... only 40 more minutes...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:27 pm