Usergroups
Divine Divinity is Good???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Does it work just having one Player character?. I didn't like NWN partly because of this.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:49 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You only have the main character.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:12 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

DD was one of the top 5 games I played last year; probably in the top 3. Getting it is a MUST, if you can find it.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:22 am
labyrinthian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

better than bgII? Heck, no

Sure I liked this game. Pure fun. Go around. Kill stuff. Solve quests, none of which are very hard or require a walkthrough. But there are big ol' problems...

mages that always cast the same 1 or two spells,

many skills being essenitally useless, while others are so essential,you are useless without them

no identity to items-randomly generated bonuses mean even legendary items are generic. Sure, great variety, but I'd prefer my special weapon be...well...special in some way.

Although there is character interaction, I didn't actually end up caring about anybody, even my own character. Heck, I played BGII when it was new and I can still remember all the names from my party. The depth of that game was astounding. The depth of this game...wasn't.

I love humor, but only when it brings you deeper into the game. Minsc and Boo did that. DD humor reminded you that it was just a game, and so ruined the atmosphere.

BGII had better graphics for its day. Remember, DD came out 3 years after BGII, and the latter still had better backgrounds. That's kinda sad.

Diablo style point and click combat is really boring compared to strategic BGII style.

All that said, I did like DD. It's just no classic. I liked the Charlie's Angels movie, but it's not exactly Citizen Kane. And BGII was.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:39 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Yes it is good.

It is everything a game with a kill log should be! When your kill count is numbered in the thousands !

In addition there is humor, and some pretty good puzzles that required I really think about them. I only got really stuck once - and there I was just blind. I was able to logic my way through the rest.

The character development is really good - you can make your character into pretty much what ever you want.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:05 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

If you have to have a party then this is not for you. If, like me, you don't like parties and prefer to solo, then this game is absolutely fun.

I can't think of any skill that you absolutely must have or you invalidate your character like some have claimed. I also can't think of any completely useless skills. It's really hard to decide what skills to follow when you level up because there are so many cool ways you can build a character.

As for not having money to pay for repairs and identifying I find that i have plenty of gold and spsare items to sell if I need more gold. I actaull ythink they need to tone down the items and gold a bit but it's still fun.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:02 pm
Dr. Doom
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Divinity is a good buy. you will not be disapointed.
Divinity will give your this "addicted" feeling.
start at 19h and stops at 06h in the morning

There are some isuues that makes the game sometimes a bit anoying.
a few broken skills. if you want to play a ranger.

but this was caused because the publisher CDV pushed (read :forced) the game on a earlier release date.

my 2 cents -> buy it, realy!

And also take a look at the next game based on the divinity world. Riftrunner,
This is divinity, but even better. alot of fans put there input on divinitry. told them what they liked and disliked. and the developers listened very carefully.
find more information here: www.larian.com
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:21 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

One sentence : Very high grade of detail !
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:27 pm
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Divine Divinity was one of my favorite games. The developers put forth a lot of work to make this game very enjoyable. Its diablo with more story and better graphics. I lost many hours of sleep playing this game and I cant wait to see what they have done in Rift Runner. They are supposed to be making it even better
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:44 am
zuman
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Divine Divinity is Good???

quote:
Originally posted by Gothic Soul
Is this game equal or better than baldur's gate.

much better
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:24 am
Kraszu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Game is not bad, i stoped playing it near the end becose of pointles walking, why they jost don't add horse to a game? Sometimes u have to walk for like 5+ minutes (realtime), well that is many times actually. Game is also boring at start it's hack&slash for like 5h or more.
Post Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:55 pm
Zebulon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DivDiv is a really gemIMHO.

And the music tracks are the best i heard in a game...(i tried to get every single piece of music made by Kirill Pokrovsky ....)

and i loved the scorpion traps....hehe

Zeb
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:42 pm
eggrock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm, I'm used to people's preferences but both sides are making some good (/bad) points. DD is currently collecting dust while I catch up (just upgraded PC, worked Half-Life2 and now working Gothic). I was debating several games, Gothic II (which I'd have to order), Arx Fatalis (ditto) or DD which I already have. Maybe finish up the NWN expansions or even jump off on a tangent and get Doom3 or finish up the Myth series (excellent).

DD was in the lead but after reading this thread I'm ambivalent about playing it next... So some questions.

- Is the game patched well enough or does it have any showstoppers to be worried about? Pretty important to me that the game's at least playable. Then again Morrowind likes to crash a lot and I loved it; Gothic used to crash a lot until I got everything just so--I love that game too. So I can work the technical end but quest breakers suck mightily...

- Diablo comparisons are due to the combat and only that? DII is also collecting dust because I hated it. If this game resembles Diablo II overly much it may cause me to lose my apathy and get that garbage disposal installed, solely for the pleasure of grinding CDs. Kidding but I really didn't like DII and couldn't stand more than half an hour (I should give it a real try I suppose.)

- The jokes and music, dialogue etc. are unimportant to me. I'll enjoy them if they're even halfway decent. The important thing (to me) is character development. Is there a good class system or are you a generic character (a la Morrowind/Gothic) that specializes in whatever skills you choose? How is development in general (not personal preference) terms?

- Speaking of skills, what's 'broken' or 'useless'? Because the game doesn't rely on it much (a la detecting enchantments in BG/ToEE) or because some skills are underpowered/nerfed?

- How big is the game? Is it linear?

Sorry, some of these I can research but the forums are slow enough that I hope some bored souls will sacrifice a few precious minutes (of work time!) to reply. If I like DD, the followup is a guarantee so no worries about that.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:05 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yup, DD is patched enough that you should have smooth gameplay. At least I did.

DD is only similar in combat to Diablo. This game is a lot deeper than Diablo.

There are your three basic classes: warrior, mage, and survivor (thief). The skills are all pretty much useful, although you'll probably want to focus more on the combat skills and spells since you'll be doing a lot of fighting. Some skills are overpowering, but I can't think of any that are nerfed. No matter which class you choose, you can pick skills in any of the skill sets. So, you can play an axe-wielding warrior who can pick pockets if you want. Character development is pretty basic. Pump up your main stats for your class and you'll be fine.

The gameworld is huge. Not Morrowind size, but it's bigger than Gothic. You can pretty much run around doing as you please. You don't have to strictly follow the main storyline.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:43 pm
eggrock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you, sounds good.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2