Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Perfect 10/10 Review @ Eurogamer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Perfect 10/10 Review @ Eurogamer

A scant four days after the release of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, Eurogamer has posted their review of the game. Giving the game an astounding 10/10 score, this is what the reviewer had to say: <blockquote><em>Oblivion is a staggeringly ambitious game that successfully unites some of the best elements of RPG, adventure and action games and fuses them into a relentlessly immersive and intoxicating whole. If the irresistibly picturesque visuals don't draw you in, then the ability to engage in a massive, unique and above all hugely entertaining adventure ought to tip the balance for anyone doubting how good this game could be. If ever a game was worth the full asking price, Oblivion is it - to miss out on it would be tantamount to a dereliction of duty.</em></blockquote>Read the rest <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63571" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:02 am
Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

So they're saying it's good then?
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:05 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
So they're saying it's good then?

quote:
staggeringly ambitious
relentlessly immersive
intoxicating
irresistibly picturesque
hugely entertaining
effortless capacity
infinite wealth
breathtaking extent
sense of awe
beautiful, sweeping vistas
beautiful game settings
marvellous sights
immense, stunning architectural majesty
idyllic land
extraordinary number of permutations
a logical coherent sense

Maybe?

From Pamela Cleaver's website;
quote:
Writing Tips

Some tips on writing for children

A is for ADJECTIVES & ADVERBS:
Don't use too many of them. If you find yourself using a string of adjectives to describe a noun, try for one, stronger adjective. You only need adverbs to modify verbs of speech if what is said is against the sense.

http://www.pamelacleaver.info/tips.htm
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:45 am
Hein
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

10/10

After few days into the game, I'd have to deduct 0.5 pt because of the clumsy menu system. A full point because of the "click on the map and skip the difficult area" option, another 1 pt because the graphics look to have been the most important part of the game design, gloss over content so far, 7.5-8 out of 10 is best I can do, could change ofcourse after a few more days in the game.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:53 am
fluffy bunny

It's so funny watching the guys over at a certain other site get upset about all the good scores this game is getting. I visit them at least once a day now, just for laughs.

Oh, and Oblivion kicks ass. It's not the perfect Morrowind-sequel, and there are certainly things I don't like about it, but it's probably the most immersive and impressive game I've played since, well, Morrowind. Easily worth 10/10.

(it should be noted that I don't believe 10/10 means "the perfect game", and neither does any of the major sites who use a 1-10 scale. that would be stupid, anyway - what's the point of having an inachievable rating?)
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:26 am

Perfect scores and Uber Games

Personally I'd rather see the numerical point score done away with altogether - it is divisive and makes peoples blood boil Why not just a ranking of "poor, average, good, very good, excellent"? Or something similar? No numbers, but its clear if something is worth having. Of course, the criteria against which the review is evaluated are also important - as is the bias of the reviewer. So its all crap really. Some Oblivion reviews do seem very rushed and no worth very much. I disagree that 10/10 " does not indicate a perfect game". To me it suggests that the game has no flaws, has succeeded on every count etc. I have yet to play such a game. Baed on what I have read so far, Oblivion succeeds on many counts, but suffers from a clunky interface amongst other (minor) issues. That does not mean that the game will not be great to play - but its certainly not a game without any flaws. I think it is this gushing insistence by some reviewers that have irritated people. If a someone has a heavy bias towards a certain game or type of game, they may develop tunnel vision which disregards anything critical ofthat game. One need only look at "fanboyrants"on the net to see this. What I really want from a review is objectivity and a good set of criteria against which the game is assessed. Give me that and I'm happy.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:46 pm

fluffy bunny

Well, reviews are subjective. All you're getting when you read a review is someone elses viewpoint on the game. Preferably, this is someone who knows a fair bit about what makes a game good, and has played a lot of similar games so they know what's expected, but still, they're just voicing their opinion.

As for the 10/10-thing - according to your scale, 10/10 may mean perfect. But your scale isn't what's being used here. Since the subject of this thread is an Eurogamer-article, it might be relevant to look at their scoring system, which we can find here: http://www.eurogamer.net/scoring_policy.php

Quote: "Let us make absolutely clear that a 10 is not and probably never will be "the perfect game". There's always something criticisable about a game, however small."

Basically, it's their site, it's their scale and it's their choice how to use it. According to their scale and their reviewers opinion, Oblivion is a 10/10.

Simple as that, really.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
I think it is this gushing insistence by some reviewers that have irritated people

Gushing. Very good choice of words and a very insightful statement you made.

I quoted about 26 adjectives from that review. That is gushing. It really invalidates a reviews credibility when it gushes positively or negatively for that matter.

I find Oblivion enjoyable. That is hard to say about alot of games on the market.
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: 10/10

quote:
Originally posted by Hein
After few days into the game, I'd have to deduct 0.5 pt because of the clumsy menu system. A full point because of the "click on the map and skip the difficult area" option, another 1 pt because the graphics look to have been the most important part of the game design, gloss over content so far, 7.5-8 out of 10 is best I can do, could change ofcourse after a few more days in the game.

I'll give you the .5 discount for the lame menu - but 1 point for an option you choose not to use? Come on. Plus it does come in handy within the Capital City. The interzone walking thing in the city sux. Pretty once but tiring after a while. Otherwise I'd rather eat you know what than fast travel.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:16 pm
karnaugh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Numeric review scrores

Bill Harris made a very convincing argument for numeric game rankings in his blog which you can find here

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_dubiousquality_archive.html
Search for 'game rankings'
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 pm