View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Christmas Wish List Ideas?

Howdy!

I was a late comer to Wiz8 and have only had it a couple of months and really enjoy playing it. However, it has been out for almost a couple of years now, so I'm wondering what RPG some of the others have moved on to?

With Christmas coming up, what other RPG would you recommend placing on my Christmas wish list since it looks like it will be a while before Wiz9.

Thanks!
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:13 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Depends on what you like.

3D first person CRPGs I recommend to anyone:

Morrowind
Arx Fatalis

I know people will say "Gothic", and probably it's true. I'm just not a Gothic player.

If you could expand you defenition of a good game, we here will be more helpful

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:07 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

A lot depends on how much you like the first-person perspective. If that's your cup of tea (I much prefer it), there aren't really too many newer games to offer to you. Stanthony lists a couple, and they're good games, although both have aspects that differ radically from Wiz8 which may or may not appeal to you.

Make sure you've spent quality time with the older Might and Magic games (6 and 7 in particular, avoid 9). I'd say that's the closest you'll get to the Wiz8 experience.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:46 pm
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have been playing more strategy and simulation games for the last couple of years, but prior to that I mainly plaged CRPG games of the D&D variety. I have played most if not all of the M&M games thru VIII - Day of the Destroyer. I also enjoyed Baulders Gate, thou I didn't get into the follow-ups to it. No real reason other than I started playing on-line Diplomacy and then other strat & sim games. Probably the last D&D style of game I played was Arcanum prior to Wiz8.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between a 1st, 2nd or 3rd person within a D&D style of CRPG. In the D&D variety of CRPG, I prefer ones that require more magic development in the characters rather than ones where simple hack & slash dominate.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:18 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

1st person- you look out of the character's eyes (like Wiz8)
3rd person- you look down at the characters (like Arcanum)

If 3rd person works for you, you might look into Temple of Elemental Evil. I haven't played it yet, but it looks like the character development might be enough to keep the game interesting. You'll find lots of posts about that game in the D&D General forum.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:43 pm
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks.

I forgot to add, I have tried Morrowind. On my previous computer it would crash as soon as I walked off the ship. Started it again after getting my new computer but for some reason I wasn't finding it very interesting. Then saw Wiz8 on sale for $20, started playing it, really liked it and gave Morrowind to my son. I may try it again after playing W8 a couple more times.

I saw a web review of Temple of Elemental Evil and eMailed it to my son. I'll have to check to see if he bought it. If so, I'll swap W8 with him for it. If not, I may give Morrowind one more try.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:07 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I was unable to get into Morrowind as well. The lack of tangible rewards for completing quests just killed me... I've tried several times, but it just refused to grab me.

I spend most of my time these days with NWN, although that's all multiplayer. I wouldn't really compare that with Wiz8, though- it's a totally different animal.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:34 am
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Have you tried Baulder's Gate or any of its follow-ups?
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:36 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I've got BG1 plus the expansion. I really don't like it because character development is horrible. Even with the expansion, you can only get to level 7. 50+ hours of playing and only 7 chances to grow your character??? Not my cup of tea at all. The story was nice, and the party interaction was OK, but I'm too much of a development junkie.

I really had high hopes for MW, because it appears to have truckloads of character development. Two things come to light after you've played for a while, though. First, you can't really make use of many of the skills at the same time since you'll only use one weapon type and one armor type. Plus, a few skills (acrobatics and athletics) cause you to level too quickly if they are selected. The nail in the coffin for me, though, is that there's absolutely no difference (from a character development standpoint) between killing critters as part of a quest versus killing critters by aimlessly wandering the outback.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:52 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
that there's absolutely no difference (from a character development standpoint) between killing critters as part of a quest versus killing critters by aimlessly wandering the outback.

Very true, dte. Although I'm a devoted fan of Morrowind, I admit this statement is true

I played all Infinity engine games (BG with expansion, IceWind Dale with expansions, IWD2, BG2 with expansion, Planescape: Torment). I enjoyed them all - great stories, interesting setting, tons of objects, tons of NPCs. Though, again, dte is right - BG provides only about 7 levels of character growth. With ToSC expansion make it 8 or 9. But I though it was not a bad thing, although numbers of XP per capita were artificially made lower than in D&D rules. It made game loooong and nice, and every level up was like a Christmas! All in all Infinity games are great, I enjoyed them very much and played all of them more than one time. Well, except for IWD2...

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:21 am
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I read the background write-up about Arx Fatalis plus roamed around on its official page. It looks interesting, but one thing concerns me:

...and the player has at his disposal the innovative new "onscreen gesture based magic system"...

I like turn based games because my eye/hand coordination is not the best. How does this 'gesture based magic system' work? Do you have time to think about what you're doing, or does it requrie real time reaction skills? I may have missed it, but I didn't find an explanation on the Arx home page.

Thanks!
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:12 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by misplacedag
I like turn based games because my eye/hand coordination is not the best. How does this 'gesture based magic system' work? Do you have time to think about what you're doing, or does it requrie real time reaction skills? I may have missed it, but I didn't find an explanation on the Arx home page.

Thanks!

You're welcome Arx maigic system is quite fun. You draw you spells on the screen and voila - another dead rat It may become a bit tricky in hard combat situations, but you have 3 quick slots for prepared spells, and you can cast those with a simple click. I don't like fast combat, too, but I'm quite comfortable with the game. And BTW this magic system can really make you feel like a "real" wizard. You must learn something, not just push your buttons. It adds to atmosphere great deal.

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:42 pm
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks!

Arx gets added to the wish list.

Now a question about NWN (assuming that's the acronym for Neverwinter Nights). Does it play well as a single player, or is primarily a multi-player game with a BTW you can play as a single player add-in?
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:52 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

NWN plays better in multiplayer. It was meant to. But although orignal single player campaign is not very good IMO, there is an excellent single player add-on Shadows of Undrentide and there are some fantastic fan-made modules.

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:19 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
NWN plays better in multiplayer. It was meant to. But although orignal single player campaign is not very good IMO, there is an excellent single player add-on Shadows of Undrentide and there are some fantastic fan-made modules.
I enjoyed the original campaign more than most, but... what he said.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next