Night of the Raven Storyline
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Night of the Raven Storyline

I'm a huge fan of the Gothic series, but alas I won't be able to play the add-on for Gothic II as I'm in the army now. Could any of you please either fill me in on the storyline of NotR (in great detail, and with spoilers), or direct me to a place with such information?

Thanks!
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:05 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Whew... that's quite a request! Especially for one person. So.....

I propose that we all pitch in to help this fellow Gothic fan out. How about someone start us off (I guess that's me) and then another person can continue, until we get the whole story posted. And let's not get bogged down in debates about inconsequential details, okay? Let's just make it work!

So here goes (I'm assuming you played through the original version of Gothic II):

This time around when Xardas revives you, he tells you not only about the threat coming from the valley of mines, but a new menace as well. A cut scence is introduced in which you see ancient Aztec looking ruins in a place unfamiliar. A group of Water Mages are exploring these ruins, however, elsewhere in an undisclosed location, a dark clad figure hovers over an altar, performing some ritualistic incantation. Suddenly waves of energy emanate from the temple and travel throughout the land, and the earth quakes, but nothing more is noticable. The mages exchange glances, wondering what to make of the strange phenomena, when suddenly life size stone figures adorning the ruined temple come alive and attack them with tremendous ferocity. Not to be unnerved however, the mages conjure fireballs and quickly disentigrate the uncanny beings. The cut scene is over, and you are returned to dialogue with Xardas.

Would someone please continue?......
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:43 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

... and then your adventure starts, and eventually you'll find the "bad guy", who apparently is your "old buddy" from Old Camp (in G1) called Raven. Just like previous time, he's just as stupid and stubborn - in addition to selling his soul to Beliar - and still doesn't understand any other language then sword blade.

That's that, for short But if longer, then I suppose that there are some reviews available, perhaps on main G2 forum. In general, the story leads you to previously unknown part of Khorinis island, part which was believed at first to be just a mountain massive. But go figure, apparently there's much more then that, and the place is where once ancient and advanced civilization was. Civilization is there no more, as at one time in the past, they managed to anger Adanos, the god they worshipped, so greatly that he came down from heavens and simply drowned the whole nation. Don't mess with the god of water, unless you have a scuba suit stashed somewhere...

And, also, that nation posessed one great and powerful item, which actually was the cause of the nations downfall. It was a mighty weapon, which came from Beliar himself and, had a will of it's own. Only strongest of warrior generals wielded it, strong both physically and in mind, but apparently the last general wasn't so strong in mind and the sword took him "over". And now, after the Barrier was blasted apart, Raven somehow learnt about that item and is working towards getting it. In return, he sold his soul to Beliar and promised to be his general, and lead his armies against the good people and the world.

Of course, there are also the pirates there, although they don't play very big part in the overall role. They support you, a bit, basically only enough that they can say that "we did help you", but not enough to have very great use from them. There are the Water Mages, who still remember you from G1 and while the rest of them got over the issues tied to you, Saturas is still very grumpy towards you. But in the end, he'll cool down too. There are many more quests available, which in total are not mandatory to get through with the main quest, but they're great for supplements and enhance the overall world feeling. There are also different things added, i.e. quests and NPC's, to areas where there previously were none, to make the world more living and also to use some assets, which previously were already in the game, but had no meaning, i.e. were not tied to anything.

So in total, the story itself is not that complicated, although it is good. The add-on itself is though very nice, the world is lush and extremely detailed, definately something you'd want to see and experience. It's something what can't be described with words, and the screenshots give only half the credits
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:49 am
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

And there you have it Malgaroth...

I was trying to wine 'n' dine the story, ease into it's psyche. "Wanna come up to my place?" Stoke the fire, maybe a neck massage, and then....

WhamBamThankyouMam Whailor just cuts right to the chase

Oh well, I certainly can't argue with his narrative! It gives you all of the key elements in entertaining fashion!
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:17 am
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

He he.

Thanks, both of you, I appreciate it! Did you find out anything else about the Nameless Hero in the expansion?
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:01 pm
Borntoeat
Village Leader
Village Leader

there is nothing about nameless hero ..I think it is wanted to be that way ..so everyone can imagine itself ..there is no book or movie or game wich could be good if it tells everything.

that's only my opinion ofcourse...
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:49 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

You know one part near the end of the addon made me a bit emotional.

It's after you defeat Raven and go say your goodbyes to Thorus. He gives a very heartfelt speech about how all the people from the mining colony will stick together no matter what chaos is happening in the world around them. In a way, the series is also telling *their* stories -- albiet in a somewhat peripherial manner.

I just can't help but feel a bond with all of those who were in the colony. Its like we shared an experience that stays with us. We are a brotherhood that will watch each-others backs as we all go onto our future destinations (the mainland?).

Thorus will return!
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:17 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thorus is the best!
When I killed him in gothic 1 I feeled so guilty that I've reloaded and just KO him!
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:19 am