Members
Usergroups
what r u playing right NOW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@piln- Yes that is indeed how the multiplayer is, and it kicks ass (I played the demo)!!

Still playing lots of Gothic 2. I went to poohead8989's house and tried out Desert Combat, which is pretty damn good. I also played the Joint Operations demo, and OH MY GOD it's awesome!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:21 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by piln
@Wolfgarou:
Have you tried the multiplayer on SC:PT? Don't know if they kept it this way, but I read a preview saying that the "mercs" team would use 1st-person and the "ninja" team would use 3rd-person view. Sounded like a brilliant idea, I'm curious to know how it turned out.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but from what my friends said, it's identical to the demo. Gotta finish the campaign 1st. I prefer following a story rather than fighting it out online.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:32 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgarou
I'm playing Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow! Move over Thief 3. Sam Fisher can kick Garrett's butt back to the medieval ages:rpgrin:

Sorry, holmes...I am one of the few who will not agree. Thief:Deadly Shadows will certainly get more gameplay from me.

I rented SC:PT. Killer graphics, perfect play-control, and great-multiplayer. Problem is...I am a Deus Ex, Thief, Tenchu sorta guy. I like being able to do what I want to do and when I want to do it. With Splinter Cell 1-player...it's just like the original...designed by Corporate NAZIS. You have no freedom...there is only 1 freaking way through any mission and that is THEIR way. This really sucks compared to Thief or Deus Ex. Hell...Metal Gear Solid has 10 times as much freedom as Splinter Cell.

For instance...i knock the lights out in a train...I am forced to go forward in the train. I cannot go back even 1 or 2 rooms or mission over. I made it through the game renting it...and I can say 1 player has ZERO replay value. You have no choice...very lame. But yes, it will outsell Thief 10:1. The multiplayer is AWESOME though. Also, I like the trip-mines in the Jungles. Leaning on a trip-wire with force-feed back is pretty damn cool.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:46 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
This really sucks compared to Thief or Deus Ex. Hell...Metal Gear Solid has 10 times as much freedom as Splinter Cell.

No offense (especially to Thief fans, and I'm one) but didn't Thief walked you through the game too (at least in Thief 1, I didn't finish Thief 2 due to poor performance on my pc back then)??? Unless you count going into random rooms for some loot 'freedom'. Example (T1 mission 1), Walk to guard, steal key, go down well, find staircase up to level 2 find throne, steal scepter? Maybe 'freedom' is subjective, but I do agree that DX has more freedom I think the 'freedom' in Thief and SC comes from how you actually tackle each obstacle, and not the structure of the missions.

And MGS? It's so linear I stopped playing it after I found the scientist guy who was bragging how good Japan was in developing robots...
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:47 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Wolfgarou: True, not much freedom of action in Thief & Co (the Thief games are among my favorites as well). Those games are about atmosphere mainly.

Right now, I'm having fun with the Söldner beta demo's paperdoll:
Regular 'me'...
...Matrix, anyone?...
...psycho.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:08 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Jaz- I can definitely see myself playing as the "psycho" soldier.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:20 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Jaz, that looks great. Must grab that demo when I get home. Also had a look at some Ryzom movies yesterday. I'm not really convinced by any MMORPGs I've seen, and Ryzom's gameplay footage didn't do anything to change my mind, but the character creation looks great.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:31 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
@Jaz- I can definitely see myself playing as the "psycho" soldier.

Hey, build your own psycho! After all, you get to choose all your clothes and face and accessoires and camo patterns yourself. Be sure to check out the fun camo patterns (used one of those for the psycho)...

You'll need a LAN to play at home right now because their online servers are hammered. I guess they didn't think they'd attract so many potential players.

@piln: Nearly forgot, I'm playing a MMOG (not MMORPG) right now, too... text-based, about stone age tribes.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:33 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

@xSamhainx: I agree. The game is pretty good, but I don't quite agree fully with the trailer's claim. ;p
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:22 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Wow! And here I was thinking Soldner was an indie game!

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:08 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Playing Max Payne 2 with Cinema modification here: extra blood, extra killer weapons, matrix-like costumes...

Rawrgh!! nothing more satisfying playing a Collin Farrell look-alike character, pumping shotgun or double uzi guns in hands - blowing away multiple baddies, spinning around while running and reloading, evading, dodging, the blur effect - all the while in slow motion mode with pounding rock music in the background...
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:06 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Just finished Splinter Cell and now going back to Geneforge 2. Also installing Painkiller demo now. Mmm....mindless killing action, me like!
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:47 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Playing Far Cry.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:05 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Far Cry rocks. Tactical shooter, very good action gameplay but the story and cut scenes pretty much like bad B-movie straight to video market.

Amusingly in the Top Selling PC Games for 3/21/04 - 3/27/04, CS:CZ with outdated graphics still beats Far Cry!.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:07 am
mookmaster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Currently without a good game.
gathering the money for farcry, man i cant wait to play that game.
looking forward to xenus but who knows when thats gonna come out but when it is i'll be all over it like... dang i cant think of a good saying.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:36 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next