Usergroups
Grim, the bodybuilding superstar...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Archon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just wanted to know how bad ass Grim really is.

Playing along, I walk outside with him and am taken completely by suprise. He wacks me dead, very quickly. So, I take a look at my stats. 76 Hitpoints. Not bad. A sword that does 20 damage (Digger's Discipline).

So, I get ready and go at it again. I reload my save, book it on down the road and initiate the sequence again.

This time, I guess since I was standing closer to them, the other two diggers join the fight as well. Again, ole Grim nails me in 3 hits. Actually, 2 hits knocked me almost dead, but lets not split hairs.

So, this time, I take off running, swim the stream and as the bumbling fools are stuck on the bank I let loose with my bow. I kill both diggers, and run out of arrows before Grim is half dead. It still takes me 3 or 4 hits with 15 strength and a sword that is supposed to do 20 damage.

So, he's dead... I am thinking to myself MAN, this club of Grims must be a real prize (no, I wasn't really thinking this). I loot the club off of him, and LO AND BEHOLD, *5* DAMAGE.

This means that our buddy Grim must have a strength of about 200, to turn a mundane 5 damage club into a ~30 damage per hit machine! My only question is, why didn't they give the boy a sword?! Hell, he could fell a tree with one blow given a decent sword!

For as much as I love this game so far, glaring flaws like this never cease to piss me off. It happens in every game. Blatant twisting of the rules, with no effort made to cover it up. In the early game EVERYONE can kick your ass... so, we must rub this in by allowing even a punk like grim to do MEGA damage and have plenty more hitpoints than you. This would have been fine, but the reward for the trouble of killing him and his boys was paltry, to say the least.

Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:58 pm
Bogdanov
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Strange...
From my experience he's not tough at all. Probably the reasons of what you've experienced are as follows:
1. His armor is better than yours (if any) From animation he seems to be wearinf heavy diggers trousers (-15 damage)
2. Your strength is REALLY low.
I took him out in 3 strikes with some "stinger" club (damage 26 + my bonus for Str 30) while he and the other two buddies were only able to take me to half my hitpoints (I was level 6 at that time) thanks to "novice loincloth" (or whatever its name was) in like 5-6 succesful hits
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:30 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Archon
------
You are just angry becouse you got whopped.

Ignore it. Later in the game you will be so powerful that you can take out the entire Old Camp with one hand tied on your back. Right now you will get your ass whopped by most enemies, except maybee Molerats and Scavengers...

To explain Grim's strength...
You say that you have 76 hitpoints (in the end you will reach above 600), grims club does 5 damage, so he must at least have 21 strength to be able to take you out in three hits.

You can reach 30 Strength when you have gained 2 Levels.

Fact:
Grim is weak... Grim is very weak... Your average digger probably have 30-40 in strength, but its no surprise since they probably get strong waving their pickaxe every day for a couple of years.
Thats nothing compared to the heroic 200 strength or so you will have at the end of the game...

Fact #2:
At this time in the game you are WEAKER...
Stop pounding Grim, pay your daily ore. Go out and beat molerats and Scavengers. Try again when you have reached level 6 and have masterized one handed sword + reached 30 in strength and bought yourself a Diggers Trousers (or Lion Cloth).

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:43 pm
Archon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay, I have a fundamental problem with paying 10 ore a day, so I will not do it. Sorry.

You are definately right, I was VERY weak, but just remember that you underestimate the power of the guy behind the keyboard. Scavengers and Molerats... pfaww... I may be level 3 with no armor but this is not stopping me from taking down wolves, lizards and bloodflies.

And yes, I cannot wait until I am of sufficient power to decimate the Old Camp.

Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:12 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Archon
------
The entire thing with that Ore thing, is just to make you 'dislike' the Old Camp.
Its also a way to tell you that "you are weak, so we can do this to you".

You are able to spank them up for that later on.

Personally I reached Level 14, taking out stuff like Blood Hounds and Fire Lizards before reaching any better armor than Diggers Trousers...

Let me tell you now, if you keep that up (killing superior monsters) you will have a great advantage later on in the game... Try to take out as much possible before you reach the step where you have to choose... And once you just HAVE to choose a camp, make a HUGE save there, so you can replay the game with other camps.

(but dont loose any quest items. Everything that looks unique, keep onto that like it where worth a million... And btw, the Orc Hammer is included to the Quest items, you need it 2-3 times during the game, so never loose it).

And btw, if you can, save skillpoints... I had 60 skillpoints when I joined the camps, wich made my replay from warrior into Mage incredibly easy since I could almost instantly buy up to circle 4...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:24 pm
DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

My 2 Cents the Orc Hammer isnt really needed as such as any Hammer above will do the same thing, Like Gods Hammer etc.. But still If you have the required stats to use it use it, it is a very nice weapon indeed
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:12 pm

why do you try to take Grim speak to him than tell him you come later and when you are ready beat him also you can beat the outside diggers alone

one last thing if you say not able to beat Grim is unfair than what can you say about the smith inside the castle.it doesn't matter which level you're in and what strengt you have unless you have uraziel.
(I tried fighting him with a 40 readin ... 40. level hero and deal no damage with a 65 hiting sword)
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:29 am

At level 10 I own the old camp because I got scar's sword. This thing is ridiculous.

I do feel bad about getting it though because I used the ridiculously cheap hit him with 2 arrows, run, come back to hit him some more, etc.

Whatever, I own every monster. I can even kill shadowbeasts now, though if they hit me at all I die.

Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:35 am

Venkeroz
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:

On 2002-01-11 20:35, Anonymous wrote:
At level 10 I own the old camp because I got scar's sword. This thing is ridiculous.

I do feel bad about getting it though because I used the ridiculously cheap hit him with 2 arrows, run, come back to hit him some more, etc.

Whatever, I own every monster. I can even kill shadowbeasts now, though if they hit me at all I die.

You also own orc temple warriors, or firelizards??
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 10:55 am
RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yea well scars sword owns every other sword untill the very end of the game, so lay off it a little bit eh
as for grim, refuse to follow him, tell him maybe later or wateva, get to about lvl 5-6 and then come back with your masterd one handed weapon stylz, and your 30 odd strength. then wack him! wack him good!
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:17 pm

600+ hp and 200 strength by the end of the game? heh 200 str isn't even possible without cheats. I don't think there are enough potions to add 100 str.

I had 57 str and about 450 hp by the end. Some of those HPs were from potions or artifacts though.

What level were you when you finished the game anyway?

I only had 57 str, 29 dex, 50 mana and 1h sword maxed, circle 6 magic, bow skill level 1, sneak, acrobatics, pick locks level 1.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:13 pm

RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

57 str??!
were u a mage or something??
i had 130 strength and 550 hp
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 2:45 am