Exclusive Empire of Magic Screenshots at RPGPlayer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Exclusive Empire of Magic Screenshots at RPGPlayer

Italian site RPGPlayer has posted <a href="http://www.multiplayer.it/rpg/articoli.php3?id=7415" target="_blank">10 exclusive screenshots</a> from Empire of Magic.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:19 pm
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Why is it,more and more it seems, I see games coming out that are suppossed to be a RPGs and when I look closer are really STATEGY games with a tiny bit of role-playing thrown in? These type of games should not even be allowed to bezuddle a fine(new skin) RPG site such as RPG dot.com. IMO!
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:26 pm
dagoo9

campervn

I disagree entirely. I bet many people could take issue with some of your favorite rpgs and make a case why they do not technically fit in the category whatever that may be. I know an rpg when I play it. RPG/strategy (particularly turn based more involved ones) games to me are more rpg than a lot of the action rpgs that are discussed here. I would still rate as one of my favorite "rpgs" of all time Masters of Magic.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:50 pm

albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well,lets see then. My favorite rpgs fpr last year were : Gothic 2,Morrowind and Tribunal,Arx Fatalis,Divine Divinity,Neverwinternights and Dungeon Siege. Those,in my opinion are all rpgs. When you control armies and have to send out little guys to forage food,hunt,build houses,chop down trees,mine gold etc. then thats a strategy game. Having you also control one hero, ammidst this rabble, who you can rpg like specc. up,does not make it an rpg game.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:11 am
dagoo9

Clearly you never played the game I'm referring to, I'm not talking about warcraft III. Please explain to me with your encyclopedic knowledge why dungeon siege (a game which is entirely linear, rudimentary character development, and pure action) is more of an rpg than Masters of Magic. Is therefore Gauntlet a great rpg. My point is that you are being overly didactic and people can argue over what an "rpg" is on this site for ages. I was merely trying to point out that this site should address the full range of "rpg" material out there. And frankly I don't feel any one person should be the arbiter of that.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:52 pm

dagoo9

I eagerly await your final edict
Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:32 pm