Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How to succesfully import a Gothic 1 hero to Gothic 2?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Zymuz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How to succesfully import a Gothic 1 hero to Gothic 2?

I saved my hero at the final chapter of Gothic 1, now I tryed to import it in Gothic 2, but the hero become invisible! , Is there any trick to import it succesfully? With his Ore Armor and Innos 2hs sword etc etc, btw the Status menu shows the right xp points..
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:52 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Zymuz,

Personally i like this question very much, it shows deep enthusiasm.

You will know that while the hero import zen file is calling for those items, you do not have them in G2 (the armour and the weapon) if they were in the game list you may see them, but then there is also the torso of pc-hero, the head, the relevent meshes and so on.
We know that in fact the meshes are inter-changeable, so there is a technical trick (which is not to easy to follow) and it could take some manipulating, i can follow what to do but i wish i had more time to help.

Start by removing those items NOT in G2, and substituting the body parts, it can be done, you would end up with you pc-hero with his stats but no weapons/armour and other GOTHIC but not G2 items.

So following on from this, edit the said zen files, then refering to the G2 insert list, exchange those items.

The other way is long winded but more accurate, using Goman and the vdfs.exe tool, rebuild the compiled amimation files *but keep the names the same* - - - is it really worth it ? - - it's a lot of work, but very interesting.

Good luck.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:46 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

hey i'd love to start in G2 whit 21000 ore nuggets you'd be freaking rich ..
so why not give it a shot
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:41 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I doubt that this would work unless the format for the "character file" was the same across both games.

Since Gothic 2 uses different stats and skills, I would assume they were not the same.

Even if you were to somehow "force" it in, I would imagine the game may crash or act unpredicatably because of out-of-range or illegal values in the character record/ inventory.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:52 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

no im pretty confident that it could work .. whit abit of efford .. its easy to import a G1 file you just cant see your char or any of the items cuz it cant find them .. but whit abit of work it would be possible to use it whitout any problems .. or you could play the game as an invisible guy if you dont wanna bother
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:12 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

He he,

An invisible pc-hero, yeah, now that is "stealth"

(by the way if he inserts a sword and picked it up and equipped it, you would only see the sword moving) ! !

Editing the zen file will enable any item in the game to be given to pc-hero, either in his hand (left or right) or in his inventory, or equipped (on him) thats a fact, no problem there, so just put 100,000 ore nuggets in the zen if you want. So if you put an arrow in his right hand (in the zen) on hero import he would most definately have an arrow in his hand, furthermore this can be done with many items.
The files as elkston says, isn't the same, but that is of no consequence, we don't want them to be compatible, the name will still be called (as the subtituted name item) "swapping the animation called for item" and keeping the name "original" but then that called for item must be in the vdfs volume.
Why not try a "dummy run" with a small item to begin with, nothing too complicated to start with?
I most certainly would not recommend anyone who is "unsure" or a bit nervous to try this.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:03 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

the zen file is pretty cool .. never belived i'd seen an orc elite waering a paladins armor ..
looks stupid cuz of the model remake the armor does
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:18 pm
Zymuz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanx all for those advices, I see those items are no more on G2 and that's the main prob causing this "bug", by the way, do u have a link of all existing G2 items? Like potions, weapons and armors? Looks like I could only find the lists about G1 , meanwhile ill take a deep look into this .zen file
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:19 pm
Zymuz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow this editable .zen file it's REALLY cool, u can prety change anything! I was thinking, perhaps there should be a way to export the Item file grom G1 and save it in the item list inside G2 item folder, and somehow adding those items to the G2 engine, so that they would be "token" as standard G2 items, I mean Innos sword and ore armor (INNOS_ZORN,ORE_ARMOR_M), but I dont even know where those items are stored in the 2 games, I saw a lot of texture big files, but anything about Items.. tho Im pretty new in editage
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:30 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Zymuz,

If you are experimenting, insert pc_itemfeller, he has every item, potion,plant, food, weapon,armour,spell,scroll, everything, then drop an item on the floor, then still in marvin mode type, edit focus and then make a note of the code, then put those items which you require in the zen file, then hero import and you will have the items where you put them (inventory/armed etc')

I went to the valley of mines and killed the elite orcs with a piece of roast meat
also tried it with a bottle of milk, just try various items.

You must get the compiled mesh for the armour you require from Gothic, say, improved ore armour, then swap it for another armour (but leave the names as original) and the same with the relevent texture, then for example if you insert old knights armour (itar_pal_skel) (G2)but in fact you swapped it for improved ore armour (Gothic) the game wont know the difference.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:57 pm
Zymuz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What a piece of jewel, ty for this reply Wulf , just to ask, where are those items stored within the JoWood folder? I think I cannot find them, only textures I see, also, do u swap those with a modding tool or u do it with notepad simple editing?
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:14 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Zymuz,

Sorry for the delay,

You now need the "tools" i mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

1. The vdfs,exe tool from Nico's site:-
http://www.bendlins.de/nico/gothic2/ (this tool extracts all volume files,
also when you've finished all your "manipulating" it will rebuild the volumes.

2. "Goman" you can get from here:-
http://www.worldofgothic.de/gothic/index.php?go=editing_goman

This tool is capable of swapping (by importing and exporting) the various graphics/textures/etc' (be aware of the *export as* feature) it is the most useful.

If you get stuck try finding the old thread by Patrax - - "new old Knights armour" it gives a condensed but easy to follow guide how to start, also there is an old thread by KillerofevilsII - "Can you create your own hero for Gothic" (gothic general) which may help you to use Goman (its in German)
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:30 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Format of the zen file between G1 and G2 is different, so you will actually end up editing a bunch there. Before you save your char in g1, remove EVERYTHING on him, so that he is not wearing or wielding anything. If you leave something on him, then it can screw up his stats as worst thing, or simply make him invisible, as least bad thing.

In any case, I've done such thing and I had my G1 char in G2. Of course, with nothing, as none of the items in G1 are named the same way - and exist - in G2. But, yeah, you can get the char, but it's still some editing. You'll have to re-edit also all skills he has, at least the major ones like sneak, lockpick and such, minor ones it's easier to relearn then edit. Though those can be edited, too. A bit funny, even, how the zen files have the same version between G1 and G2, but the format is so different

But, as I said above, it can be done, I've done it myself, was neat to have the "old me" doing the action again
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:00 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

nobody clamied it would be easy .. but then how many things worth doing is ?
hmmm maybe i could make a patch and a converter to makeit easyer for ya all
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:41 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Uocjat,

Thats a good point worth thinking about, "is it worth doing in the first place"

My answer is no, start a new game, then as soon as able, make a save game.
At this point create a new zen, carefully edit the stats as required, then the zen is at least compatible with all following games/saves.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next