Might and Magic IX
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Might and Magic IX

I bought this game today, pretty crappy, but it was very cheap. But I have a question, how to i level up/train when I have enough exp?
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:42 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There are trainers in various towns that you can pay to level up. There's also "libraries" in town that allow you to buy new skills. In the first town (Sturmhold or something like that), the trainer's in the top left corner of the map, IIRC.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:22 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Okay, got another question, im at the beginning, at that island you end up on. How do I open the locked door after killing the Bone Trasher? I don't have any character that can lockpick with me...
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:14 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You mean it's not obvious that you're supposed to go back to the troll-witch? Welcome to MM9. She has a key for you.

Make sure you pick up the goodies in that room before reading the book. Reading that book is a one-way trip whether you're ready to take it or not.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:06 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
You mean it's not obvious that you're supposed to go back to the troll-witch? Welcome to MM9. She has a key for you.

Make sure you pick up the goodies in that room before reading the book. Reading that book is a one-way trip whether you're ready to take it or not.

Okay, thanks. But can't I return to that ruin later? It was deadly but it looked very interesting.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:21 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Much later...
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:06 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Okay, actualy the game is pretty fun! But I have some new questions, where can I get cured from dieseses? And where can I ressurect dead characters?
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's been almost a year since I played, and I didn't finish the game, so take my advice at your own risk...

I believe the temple in the first town (left side of map, half way to top) can cure anything and resurrect as needed.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:40 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Might I suggest www.tothegame.com It has a walkthru for MM9. There are some other good sites, but I have deleted them. A quick search should locate them.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:14 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Okay, actualy the game is pretty fun! But I have some new questions, where can I get cured from dieseses? And where can I ressurect dead characters?

Hehe, yes this game can be addictive and fun at times, as it still contains a lot off good CRPG elements. It's certainly not the pretty graphic that attract you in the first place compared to other new games, eventhough it's much better than the previous versions, no it's the gameplay!

I tried to think it through why MMIX did dissappoint me unlike the previous versions, it's not the graphic as it is improved as mentioned! I though about that "Danicek" said that he actually had a good time playing the game, and he didn't had any experience with previous MM games.
Maybe I'm only dissappointed because I'm missing something from the previous versions, but is it only a hard to describe missing atmosphere or are there also some real content that's missing???
MMIX include a long and twisting game, lots of different areas, good amount of gaming hours, more or less challenging puzzles and monsters, as in previous MM games, so what's missing! I think it's many small things (summing uo to a big downsize). I've played through MMIX once and had quite an amount of immersive hours, but still ended up with a unsatisfied feeling! (I must be a unthankfull wailing gamer).

Now after some more thought, I have tried to come up with my complains with MMIX:

1. Characters, are very unbalanced later in the game. Magic users are way more effective than melee/range fighters.

2. With at least 2 magic users in your party, the last 1/4 of the game is way to easy.

3. I guess I sometimes miss to be attacked by hordes of monsters. (Sometimes)

4. No real freedom in the party joining NPC's

5. No party flying ability (I really miss that one).

6. The card game in the bars.

7. The old Inventory placeholding system instead of this inventory list.

8. The equipment doll, where you can see the equipments look on your character.

9. Missing the traditional runestone quest.

10. Somehow is magic system to powerfull for magic users, and I ended up in using 2-3 powerfull spells. (Ex: Devine inervention (Multi recovery) spell could be cast unlimited, which probably was a bug, which made the game much easier).
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:14 pm
corwin

While I enjoyed the game somewhat, and I've played them all from MM1 on, I felt the game was rushed, unfinished and definitely not polished. It could have been great, it was merely acceptable.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:32 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
While I enjoyed the game somewhat, and I've played them all from MM1 on, I felt the game was rushed, unfinished and definitely not polished. It could have been great, it was merely acceptable.

Ditto (except I never played MM1 and 2). There are places later in the game that demonstrate what the rest of the game should've been like. This is a title that was rushed out about 6 months to soon.

I *loved* 6 and 7, found 8 too easy, but was sorely disappointed by 9. The character advancement was a step backwards, and not well tested, the change in the inventory/character management was a poor decision, and the lack of HORDES of beasties was disappointing.

In the past versions of M&M the attention to detail was what made them special ... here there is little to no detail. I used to defend this title, but once I finished it, I gave it away. No. There is no defence for putting out such a peice of raw (sewage?) material.

I just hope that there will be a 10, at some future date, and that it will do what 6 did, help rejuvinate a sagging genre with a sweeping epic ....
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:38 pm