Usergroups
Jedi Knight II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Actually, I think nerfing is when developers significantly lower the damage caused by something, to the point of crapulence. Comes from the Nerf toy company, which makes guns that shoot sponges and stuff like that.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A nerf is any significant change that affects a large number of players for the worse.

For example, the Speeding Bullet power in Freedom Force is way too strong multiplayer. I'm expecting them to 'nerf' the power... no big deal for the multiplay scene, as you can edit your characters at will. But single player where you CAN'T drop... you'd be stuck with a crappy power.

Nerf's don't have to be about damage. Raising the cost of using a power to the point where if you didn't do a certain thing all your career to prepare for it is also a nerf as you have a power you can no longer use. (I guess that would be damage, as it's now '0' )
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:36 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
A nerf is any significant change that affects a large number of players for the worse.

For example, the Speeding Bullet power in Freedom Force is way too strong multiplayer. I'm expecting them to 'nerf' the power... no big deal for the multiplay scene, as you can edit your characters at will. But single player where you CAN'T drop... you'd be stuck with a crappy power.

Nerf's don't have to be about damage. Raising the cost of using a power to the point where if you didn't do a certain thing all your career to prepare for it is also a nerf as you have a power you can no longer use. (I guess that would be damage, as it's now '0' )

Maybe that's the expanded meaning, but I'm pretty sure it started as what I said. Else where did it come from, and why the specific word choice?

I think this because, on one the other forums I use (for Day of Defeat), people complain the that .45 has been nerfed (meaning it's less powerful than it should be).
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:14 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Nerfing...

As far as I can remember the first time I heard the term 'nerf' used, and quite possibly the first game it was used with was Ultima Online. A patch was released that made all magic weapons suddenly much worse, people likened it to running around swinging Nerf swords at things; hence the term nerf.

-v
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:45 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A "nerf" could also be used as an acronym for "Not Enough Rigourous eFfort" specifically with regard to play testing to look for exploits or unbalanced factors usually with regard to damage done, received, healed, or experience, gold or treasure gained.

Nerf in common usage is any change made to a games parameters that restores "balance". UO was where I first encountered this usage as well.
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:00 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yes, I was giving an expanded meaning. As far as it I know it does come from UO, and did get named from the toy.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:42 am
Blizzard
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi all!

Fist post but long time reader!

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I liked the single play Diablo and D2 for the quick hack-fest lineal romp that it was. It was multiplay with all the exploiters, spammers, cheaters, and 'nerfs' that wrecked them for me...

I've been playing D2(X) for 1 year now; online only. I know the Diablo-series isn't really 'appreciated' by most people here (to put it mildly), and I can agree on them with the SP-part being lame. On the other hand, if you like to just "go for some hackin' and slashin'", I think the MP-part is the best game available. I haven't been able to try DS yet, but I'll probably be mild toward the game because I like the genre...

Arcanum made me get lost in all the quests and subquests... I always want to do everything possible and got at the lvl 50 cap before I was halfway the main plot... Quit because of that before having finished it...

Now lets see what NWN and Morrowind will be like...
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:05 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2