Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A not-so-positive review of Gothic2 in danish computer mag..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

A not-so-positive review of Gothic2 in danish computer mag..

Yesterday I read a review of Gothic 2 in the danish magazine ''PcPlayer''. It scored an overall of 6,5 out of 10. The reviewer is most unhappy with the voice acting, saying that there's a huge amount of unimpressive spoken dialogue. He also says that a dissapointing ending makes sure you don't want to play the game again. Furthermore he thinks that the game is bugged and the graphics are dated. The things he seems to be happy about is the freedom and the varied sub quests, some of the music and the plot

Graphics: 6
Sound: 4
Music: 7
Challenge: 6
Interface: 5
Gameplay: 7
Replay Value: 7
Reviewers tilt: 5

Overall: 6,5

(Keep in mind that NWN scored 10 in this magazine. Shows what they know about games )
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:08 am
Urnakh
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Opinions are like... Well, you know the saying. Some like Gothic some don't, some like NWN some don't.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:18 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

(Keep in mind that NWN scored 10 in this magazine. Shows what they know about games <---- hooly shjit i onze reviewed it u probably can find my review for that game somewhere in old old old posts and i say only one thing that game SUX no offence but it sucked its under my desk probably somewhere played the game like 2-3-4 days and i got enough of it was pissed as hell that i put money on that thing
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:53 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

The best reviews are usually the ones by actual gamers like you and me. There are better reviews here:

http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/roleplaying/product_1903.asp?RVFirst=11&RVNum=5
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:51 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

Believe me, these people are ''actual gamers''... They make the best computer magazine in Denmark, by far
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:17 am
TrUmaNshO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I wonder what score gothic 2 will have on gamespot...Remember gothic 1(7.2/10)
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:22 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

OMG! what a shame from our danish friends...
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:51 am
FlipMoeJack
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I dunno, Gothic 1 bored me, but Gothic 2 is very good so far. I love it much.

Three games I love playing are:

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon
Neverwinter Nights/Shadows of Undrentine
Gothic 2

I player Morrowind for the looks, its oh so beautiful. And I love the plot, love reading the books, and love traveling and creating spells. The amount of skills to level up is crazy for a CRPG. I also test tons of plug-ins and community mods constantly, always adding to the game. Also a wonderful Benchmarking game (almost at peak performance+quality) with lovely GeForce 3 Ti 500 (I know, its old...still better than my brothers GeForce 4 4200 though).

I play Neverwinter Nights to play a beautiful RPG Online. I love creating maps, weapons, armor and creatures (so easy!) with the Toolset. My friends and I (all 3 of us: Me, the half-Elf(Sindarin) Sorceror/battle mage - My Brother, the half-Orc Warrior - and My Bestfriend, the female Human Archer/Rogue/Theif) go through tons of new story driven quests, and create our own too.

And I play Gothic 2 for the wonderful amount of NPC interaction, sub-quest plots and beautifully unique world. I can't say too much yet of Gothic 2 cause I'm only 15 hours into it, but when I complete I'm sure there will be much more I will love about this game.

I don't see any reason to compare any of these 3 games. They are all skillfully crafted(err programed), but they are all far too different. Their plots are different, their gameplay is all different, their looks are different, and they all sounds different. Most importantly, each community is totally unique. They all have their pluses, and all 3 of them are still going strong.

I'm so glad to be part of all three of these communities, learning and contributing, and informing.

Damn I wrote a lot, basically, the best reviewer is yourself, experience the game and you'll know whether or not you like it. Of course if you are afraid of wasting money, then go with the gamers review. Take in as many reviews as you can and summarize them for yourself. You'll have a much better idea of what you're getting yourself into. Oh and of course, VISIT THE COMMUNITIES. Join the forums, learn of the game before you buy it (thats why Spoiler Free Forums exist)
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:16 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe u should finish gothic 1 also cos then u get the full story
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:49 am
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDrak

Not at all. These guys are responsible for great reviews, and I personally don't think that Gothic 2 deserves a higher score... Maybe 7.0, but not higher than that
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:41 pm
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Yahari
quote:

Not at all. These guys are responsible for great reviews, and I personally don't think that Gothic 2 deserves a higher score... Maybe 7.0, but not higher than that

spoiled wretchs
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:48 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
quote:
quote:

spoiled wretchs

7.0 is fair, but something in the low to mid 8s is more like it. Gothic 2 is more than just "good". It offers so much more that other games do not and this cannot be ignored.

Full seamless 3D world with lush graphics, full spoken dialogue, a dynamic plot based on your class choices and actions.

There is just too much "meat" in G2 to warrant anything *less* than a 7.0.

And one more thing about the voice acting. Lots of people complaining seem to be non-Americans. Apparently they have this idea in their head that everyone should be speaking in "The Kings English" with proper accents to boot.

When has this ever been the case with English Gothics? It was the same way in G1. We had voices that covered different regions of the US. I don't know about ya'll but I like this. It seems to be part of the Gothic experience. Sure, even with this fact there were a few cases of lazy, uninspired voice acting G2. But on the whole it is adequate and sometimes good.

I'm getting tired of it getting blasted by people who have no idea what truly bad voice acting is. If you want an example, look at the Hong Kong section of "Deus Ex". That, folks, is terrible voice acting. Monotone, no emotion, sounds like someone just reading lines and nothing more. Can you honestly tell me that the Voice work on G2 approaches this level?
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:18 pm
FlipMoeJack
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
hehehe u should finish gothic 1 also cos then u get the full story

Ah, but I have completed Gothic 1. I most definatly dont' like it was much as Gothic 2...probably cause Gothic 1 was filled with annoying, game disturbing bugs.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:25 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
quote:

Some people just cant appreciate good athmosphere and combat.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:49 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

I must admit that it's wierd for me to see you people praising this game as if there's nothing wrong with it. This game has so many flaws, and yet you people overlook them. I don't understand you when you say that this game deserve 90%+.

I don't hestitate to call you fanboys
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:29 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next