Whats your favorite game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Whats your favorite game?

What is your favorite adventure game and why so?
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:14 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I haven't played any for a while (excluding Broken Sword 3), so I may forget some...

...but if I had to choose just one, I'm pretty sure it would be Bioforge. And that would be closely followed by Azrael's Tear. Depending on what mood I'm in, they might even switch places

I'd also like to mention Shenmue 1&2 here, but I'm honestly not sure what "type" of game they are. Well, they're brilliant, whatever they are!
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:28 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

DOTT. Weird humor, good puzzles.
Broken Sword 1. Classic, classy point and click.
Death Gate. Old school and absolutely minimalistic. This game shows why Legend was one of the best adventure devs. Shannara is also pretty good.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:52 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Quest for Glory 4, followed closely by all of the other Quest for Glory games.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:06 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Planetfall (old text adventure game).

Syberia 1/2. Adventure games definately profitted from the new computer technology.

Quest for glory series was fun, as far as I remember.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:48 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Like Val - Quest for Glory 4 followed by Quest for Glory 1, then 5, after that comes 2, then last but not least 3. I'm also a huge fan of the Zork series - Zork 2 being my favorite game from the series. The Longest Journey also ranks right up there at the top of my favorite adventure games. heh I've yet to play an adventure game that I didn't enjoy one way or another. As to why I like them. It's simple. Puzzles, no matter how unlogical they are, and storylines.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:34 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Prince Of Persia Sand Of Time and i like the Quest for Glory series.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:13 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't know if this would be classed as an adventure game but,

I like silver, mostly because of the fighting system, and as an added bonus it had a half deccent story aswell I would recomend this game to anybody.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:00 pm
Wysardry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's a tough one.

The original Zork trilogy, the Infocom "Sorcerer" trilogy or perhaps Level 9's Snowball are my favourites. If I absolutely had to choose one, it would probably be Sorcerer, as being able to cast spells was an unusual experience at the time.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:17 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

To those of you who like old-school puzzly text adventures, I can't recommend Andrew Plotkin's "Spider And Web" highly enough. Get it for free from his website (and read the info before you start playing!)

The puzzles are excellent. It's nice to see that, when good IF is currently leaning almost entirely towards story, this title manages to combine a great story (great story-telling, more to the point) with a genuinely challenging game, and still manages to play fair for the most part (ie, no deliberately obscure or illogical puzzle solutions just to prolong the challenge).

I haven't played any of Plotkin's other IF's, but I hear they are very good. And I have nothing against story-centred IF either, I just get the impression that the more traditional puzzling style is more appropriate here. Another IF author I'd recommend highly is Adam Cadre, I've played a few of his - Photopia and Shrapnel in particular are excellent. Shrapnel is rather gruesome, and can be incredibly confusing, but it's really clever and if you stick it out to the end, you should get the gist of it. Photopia is one of the best short stories I've ever read, interactive or no. If you are alive, you will enjoy it Worth playing twice to get all the details, AC's use of interactivity to tell the tale is superb. Not exactly a happy story, though.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 9:20 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I liked the Zork text adventures a lot, and I replay them from times to time on my handheld.
My favorite graphic adventures are - in no particular order:

Zork: Inquisitor - the last game in the series had crankiness return to the Zork universe. I mean, come on... which other game has incredibly useful spells like 'turn purple things invisible' and 'reverse spell effect' (which, in this case, would make 'turn invisible things purple')?
Cranky, clever, hilarious.[

The Dig - great atmosphere, great soundtrack, great characters. The only adventure which made me want to hit one of the protagonists over the head with a shovel, repeatedly. And which made me regret my wish once it had miraculously come true.
Atmospheric, romance, old-fashioned.

Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate - Heroine Zanthia and her bumbling sidekick Marco made for some memorable screwball action, and the adventure sported a memorable villain.
Witty, screwball, cute.

Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge - Malcolm the evil jester was such an improbably likeable hero, and the gimmicks (like studio audience and align-o-meter) really made this adventure one of the highlights for me.
Comedy, cartoony, quips.

System Shock - for me, it's an action/adventure, and I loved it - so it makes this list. I guess I needn't say anything about this game because nearly everybody will be familiar with it.
Betrayal, dire, traps.

Realms of the Haunting - this action/adventure had a gripping story, nice plot twists and a cast of unexpectedly good actors in a set of remarkable FMVs. Being the hybrid game lover that I am, Realms probably is my favorite of these games.
Occult, twisted, epic.

By the way, I remember Bioforge all too well. It was a nice game IMO, yet I played it some time after System Shock, and it just couldn't compare.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 7:40 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Quest For Glory 4 was my least favorite in the series. Possibly because it kept crashing on me... but I recall not liking the combat much either.

Quest For Glory 5 was my favorite of the series, though not by much... all of them were easily fantastic.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon May 10, 2004 3:08 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

The Longest Journey (a "classical"adventure): I like the atmosphere very much, good story, beautiful pictures, and the riddles are not too easy.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 4:30 pm
gothic_army_babe_202
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yo!

my favourite games r all the final fantasies and the prince of persia the sands of time i juss luv the final fantasies tho. my favs r final fantasy x and final fantasy x-2
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:18 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Have you seen anything of the new Prince Of Persia? Bit more gothic-looking... not exactly original, but it does look pretty good.
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:21 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next