Usergroups
Worst Game Ever
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Played it?! It's been installed on my system for years!!
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:51 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sort of the wrong place to try and find someone who agrees with you.

I not only think Wizardry 8 is a great game, I come and lurk here just hoping to catch some good vibes from people playing it for the first time.

I wish I could play it again it blew me away and far exceeded my expectations. Very different than the norm.

I used Wizfast though, because after the thirtieth time or so, you no longer need the added realism of watching the monsters walk toward you and around eachother. To say the least. That could have been forwarded through. I couldnt imagine how long it would have taken to fight through the rapax castle areas without wizfast.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:59 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

*rookie vibes* *rookie vibes* *rookie vibes*

Just trying to brighten your day...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:54 pm
youdie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I Love Fallout 2

This is my all time favorite game, i don't play games that much, but i have tried a wide variety over teh all the different genres and fallout has to be the number one.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:46 am
Daniel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wizardry8 never dies!

Since I installed the game, i never uninstalled it. y? Because I love this game. Of course I play other CRPGs as well but the more games I play the more I realize this game is unbeatable. It's like having a good friend next to me, I don't know how to explain that. Long story short: I love Wizardry8.
Ridica doar degetul mijlociu!"

I'm BAD!
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:25 am
Sonicus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why!

Hello....Wiz8 is arguabaly one of the best games of all time. It's rating were great by most everyone, and the lowest rating I heard that it was given was 64% up by the germans...Wiz8 is a great game with 5x battle speed and continus combat. What I don't understand is why some of you all hate it? I also play Divine Divinity and the two (combat wise) are different. Overall I think Wiz8 is the better game but I prefer Divinity's way of combat.

Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:13 pm
mustafa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've played many 3D games and finally end up uninstalling them within a few hours. There are other games which we can play utmost 3 or 4 times without getting bored. But Wizardry 8 & Heroes 3 will be in my hard disk forever. Heroes 3 is 2D isometric (with 3D units) game but I still enjoy playing it more than many 3D games.

Wizardry 8 is unique in its gameplay. For anyone looking for games similar to Wizardry 8 gameplay I would suggest Heroes 3 or 4.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:30 am
Sonicus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

:-?

what is heros 3/4?
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:49 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and 4

Turnbased strategy.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:53 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I like Wizardry 8 very much. Maybe that's because I'm used to this style of gameplay - my first RPG game EVER was the first part of the Realms of Arcania series.

There could be a little bit less enemies (all these monsters ...) but I simply love the possibility to get time for thinking - I mean in turn-based combat. (That's why I liked Age of Wonders very much, too.)

I also liked Divinity very much. It's a class of its own - a different style of gameplay.

Personally, I believe that there are several styles of play within the mass of RPG games - just variety - and therefore there are different fractions of RPG players.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:08 am
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wizardry 8 is the only game I've ever bought that I couldn't play for more than a few hours. It just didn't seem to have any character interaction or plot - which I consider the most important aspects of any game (or book, or movie) - just tedious combat. I also cannot abide party-based RPGs where you create the whole party yourself. This eliminates the possibility of meaningful interaction between members as seen in BG2 and P:T. Instead, the whole party is treated as some sort of gesalt entity (one mind, multiple bodies) rather than having individual personalities.

Tell me, does the plot pick up at all? If not, I'm afraid I won't give it another chance.
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:52 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@ThouShallNot-Maybe if you had played a little longer you would have found that there are several opportunities in the game to recruit other characters you did not create to your party. Also, as the game progresses there are more opportunities for interaction, also, did you try giving all of your party members DIFFERENT personalities, THAT is one of the unique and enjoyable aspects of this game-of course if you don't have speakers or mute the sound, you miss the experience of all of the different reactions of the characters in your party...try making one chaotic or aloof and see if they all act "gestalt-like" then...Also, I don't know if you stopped to consider this one...had it occured to you that you were getting all of these battle opportunities in order to train and develop your characters, sort of an allusion to reality, they are after all going to a strange world, so they have to "grow" through battle in order to be more powerful, so they can have more interaction, better weapons, spells and so forth...I have played many rpg's and this character building through battle seems to be a fairly common concept; so forgive me for being puzzled by your complaints. If you found the game so bad I wonder why you and a few others are then apparently WASTING your time by watching the wizardry board and posting if the only reason is to diss and complain about the game???? I personally love this game...if I ever won the lottery or found a long lost rich relative I would hire the sir-tech crew myself so there could be more Wizardry games!!!
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:11 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Now Shrewgirl, everyone's entitled to an opinion, even if it IS wrong...

@ThouShaltNot: In the midst of her smackdown, Shrewgirl makes some very good points. It sounds as if you've either not played past the first town, or you've made some character-generation decisions that weren't in your best interests. A party in Wiz8 is only as monolithic as you want it to be. The incredible variety of classes, races, and personalities allows for a very complex party dynamic. The meshing of 6 (or more, or less) different skill sets into a complete adventuring machine can be very interesting in this game, more so than BG and P:T. Bottom line is that Wiz8 is targetted at "old school RPGers". For those of us in that group, Wiz8 is mana from heaven. Other gamers very well might not enjoy it as much.
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:31 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I didnot mean to come across in a "hostile" manner...if anyone's feelings are hurt I apologize...but I do stand by my last comment...if someone doesn't like the game, why bother posting a complaint? There are many games I do NOT like, but I don't waste my time posting a gripe about them...I just vote with my dollars or lack thereof. Again sincere apologies if I have come across offensively I guess at times it would be better if I were a little more like my elfin rogue with cunning personality instead of like my agressive, female dracon fighter!!!
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:43 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

No blood, no foul, young lady. Think of it this way- the occasional "dissenting vote" gives us fanatics a chance to circle the wagons and defend our game. It would get a little slow if everyone here was a rabid fan. It's not nearly as much fun to preach to the choir day after day as it is to go out and convert the heathens...
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:08 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next