Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What minor things does Oblivion still need?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Dark Phoenix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What minor things does Oblivion still need?

I think the general consensus in the gaming comunity is that this is a great game. Not perfect, but good.
But, what are the things that, for you, are lacking? I've read the post about the lousy spell effects for more powerfull magic, add it here.
For me I have a small issue with the facial animations. Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a lot better that Morrowind, but when I'm being profusely thanked for compleating some quest and the NPC's eyes keep wandering like a child with ADD, it's a bit annoying. Look at me when you'e talking to me damn it.
Minor, I know, but I keep looking over my shoulder to see what she's looking at.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:00 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

There should be better sound effects in the dungeons. My footsteps always sound like I'm walking on wet moss with leather shoes, not walking on stone/concrete with iron boots. It seems my footsteps sound the same wherever I go, no matter what I'm wearing. There should be more echo sound effects.

Also, I'm only about 15 or so hours into the game, and I've yet to find any 'hidden switches' or 'movable torches' or things that reveal secret passages in dungeons. It doesn't seem they exist, which is a bummer, because finding secret areas is one of the hallmarks of a good dungeon crawl. Maybe I'm just missing them, so there could be secret areas I'm missing and don't know it, but I don't think so. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Last edited by Sir Markus on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
I've yet to find any 'hidden switches' or 'movable torches' or things that reveal secret passages in dungeons. It doesn't seem they exist, which is a bummer, because finding secret areas is one of the hallmarks of a good dungeon crawl.

Something I've thought about just yesterday.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:17 am
Dark Phoenix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wound't secreat areas be largly negated my the map? I mean, if you can see that there is a passage there... you're prob gonna look for the pushplate.

i did find a hidden pushplat underwater in one elf ruin that revealed two of those glowing rocky things.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Phoenix
Wound't secreat areas be largly negated my the map? I mean, if you can see that there is a passage there... you're prob gonna look for the pushplate.

Most games avoid that by not showing it on the map until you find it. I don't see a reason why Oblivion could not do it in the same way.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:54 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Some butterflies and fireflies might be a nice touch.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:25 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
Some butterflies and fireflies might be a nice touch.

But there are butterflies.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:34 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

There are hidden switches, torches etc too, in several castles and such.

Biggest issue is the level scaling, hands down.

Other than that, I lack "bosses".. I mean, you go through a dungeon, and you don't really know when the dungeon is over, you get no feeling of accomplishment; "that was it? It's over? Where is the loot or the final boss/leader of the place?". In most games, dungeons give a feeling of satisfaction as you kill the final boss, but in Oblivion(and in Morrowind too most of the time) this is lacking. It makes all dungeons feel the same, they feel random, none of them feel really special.

There is probably more, but that's all I can come up with right now.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:26 pm
Tjvelcro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I hope for a expansion or mod that the dungeons are more unique/dangerous. Like more traps (ones that you can set and trigger), switches, hidden passages and the like. More types of weapons and mage armor, maybe even a merc like in D2. Bigger battles with multiple enemies and allies. More magic items that can do things that magic cant do (maybe scanning the enemy and determining its strength or something). Just my 2 cents.

Tjvelcro
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:45 pm
Chopkinsca
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It would be kind of cool if shopkeeps noticed that you knocked every single item in their shop onto the floor while waiting for them to wake up. They are extremely quick to call you a theif if you even just grab something, but knocking everything around in various ways gives no reaction.

It also bothered me that glass objects and pots don't break. It would add to immersion if you are walking through a shop, knock something over, it breaks, and the shopkeep makes you pay for it.

A more interactive way of buying things, most available items are where you can grab them, and you carry them and all you want to buy on the counter. Selling things, and buying expensive-lockedup items would go through the old route of the menu. It would be like that old zelda game for the gameboy, you pick up what you want to buy and bring it to the guy. If you manage to sneak out with the item without the merchant seeing, you stole it.

That's all I can think of. Maybe you can tell, but the only fun moments I had where in peoples houses, too bad people didn't react more to you doing different things. I know I'd say something if someone was throwing books over the railing to downstairs, or jumping on the table while I'm eating.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:09 pm
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yesterday I found an Ayleid ruin named Nornal.

This ruin had a wide range of creature levels in it ranging from Rats and Mud Crabs to Liches and Gloom Wraiths with a healthy dose of Marauders thrown in for good measure.

The deepest part of this ruin was flooded and had a system of switches/gates to access its furthest region. This region, once I got to it was guarded by the Liches and Gloom Wraiths.

Well after I cleared out the bad guys and entered their little hide-away I found one, solitary Ayleid Sarcophagus containing a single Flawed Sapphire. I was extremely disappointed.

First and foremost I think I would recalibrate the random loot generators and also add in some unique, placed loots.

This vanilla-ization of loot bothers me far more than the creature scaling issue...in fact I don't have much of a problem with how the creatures scale up, IMHO it keeps the encounters exciting and in general the game system gives you the tools to prevail in most situations.

But Risk vs. Reward is a big issue in all CRPGs and if there is a high amount of risk then there should be some sort of reward to reflect the accomplishment of overcoming that risk. Right now I feel the Risk:Reward ratio is good for the first 15 levels or so but after that it's very uninspiring and somewhat unmotivating.

I would add pack mules and carts to park outside of dungeons and load up with booty...just like in Daggerfall.

Rideable horses do nothing for me...I don't use them in game. I'd get rid of the horses and the way-too-detailed grass and replace them with more useful things like weight-reducing backpacks, portable bed rolls, portable enchanting kits, etc.

I turned the grass completely off and it significantly improved both pc performance and the game experience. Making Cyrodil seem like a big, overgrown field did not improve the immersion factor for me.

Rising Force!! I have yet to find a levitate spell/potion/scroll/item...has anyone found one? I loved this power in Morrowind and I'm hoping I just missed it somehow.

HoLo
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Levitate is NOT in the game!! However, there is likely a mod out there which has returned it, just like Mark and Recall!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:27 pm
Dark Phoenix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I way agree about the risk/reward system. It infuriats me when a banit had an "enchanted sword of flaming death" and I kill him pretty easily to get it, but on a serious dungeon crawl, I get 35 gold coins and a flawles ruby, which is worth about 35 gold coins.
Another thing that always makes me smile is that the Alyied Ruins are "thousands of years old" but they've got tones of chests with gold septims in them. If you're familiar with the history of Tamriel then you know the Septium Empire is only +- 400 years old. They should have done somthing like the Dwarven coins back in Morrowind.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:34 am
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

I already have a long list of complaints elsewhere...
But more to the topic... What would have made it better...
Or rather what is it missing?...

I really like the traps...
They are definately weak, but there is the "Deadlier Traps" MOD...
Which makes all the difference...

But on the other hand where are the trapped doors and chests...
Am I crazy?
There were trapped doors and chests in Daggerfall,
and trapped chests in Morrowind, eh?

Course you can add them by MOD, but then you need a skill to UN-trap them.
Ok, we could use the Security skill...

But then the mages need a spell... We could make one, eh?
And the melee fighters are just gonna hafta forfiet a few dozen hitpoints.

Not that smashing crates is ever fun in a standard FPS...
But shouldn't it make sense that ME-FIGHTER-Ugh! ME-HAVE-BIGAXE-Ugh!
ME-NO-HAVE-SECURITY-SKILL-Ugh! ME-BASH-CHEST-WITH-BIGAXE-Ugh!

Maybe I just miss Ultima Underworld too much...

And just to put it out there, You dont need a MOD to levitate.
Press the ~tilde~ key and type 'TCL' no quotes...
TCL is Toggle Collision off/on.., It is up to you if you abuse it...
Just as a Levitate spell would be.

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:17 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think it needs an addon which uncovers one of the adjacent territories.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:03 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next