Am I retarded?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Am I retarded?

Just started playing and I am stuck already.

I have been playing the game for a few hours now and for some reason, I cant find out where the hell I am meant to go.

I checked the message logs, and I know the NAME of the place I need to get to, and I remember being told to go south, (ignoring the fact that that makes no sense in space) but I can see no indication on my radar or HUD to show me where south is!!!

Can someone pleese help, I am sure I am just missing something planely obvious.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:07 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Don't worry - most of us did this in the beginning. The backstory includes an explanation that pilots found it easier to navigate with gates organised in a N-S, E-W fashion, so it makes some sense.

First, have a look at your Radar. Gates are marked with a "N" or "S" etc - the South one may be out of range but if you can see the N gate, fly in the opposite direction and so on.

The Sector Map is your friend. Press "." and have a look - you'll be able to see where you are and you may be able to target the S Gate straight from that map (scroll through the list of objects and press "T" to target). If you haven't got close enough for your scanners to have picked it up, target a Station that's towards the bottom of the map (which is South, of course) and fly in that direction - you'll see the Gate eventually.

You can check the South gate is the correct direction by targetting other ships within 8km and press "C" to comms them - they can give you directions. Good luck.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:11 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

The learning curve on this game is fairly steep, and the manual isn't much help. Read the threads here, they are full of invaluable information, download the maps and then ASK for assistance. You'll soon catch on.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:54 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
The Sector Map is your friend. Press "." and have a look - you'll be able to see where you are and you may be able to target the S Gate straight from that map (scroll through the list of objects and press "T" to target). If you haven't got close enough for your scanners to have picked it up, target a Station that's towards the bottom of the map (which is South, of course) and fly in that direction - you'll see the Gate eventually.
This is exactly how I do it as well. One thing I'll add is that the sector map shows your ship as a white triangle pointing in the direction your ship is facing. Since your ship can end up "upside-down" making left and right turns do the opposite of what you expect, I occasionally bring up the sector map and slowly turn the ship until the arrow is pointing where I want to go (try not to run into anything while doing this ).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:55 pm
Dhruin

Good point. The Stations in X2 are place more or less on a flat plane for ease of navigation. The sector map shows a top-down view -- but it is a 3-dimensional world so your ship may be pointing "up" or "down" rather than N,S,E,W.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:19 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Ecliptic extensions will give you a grid overlay if you get truly befuddled as to which way is up, down, left, right, etc... especially in combat.

I use it on capital ships like my TL because they take 2K to turn to a new direction at full burn.

Getting a Duplex scanner helps a lot... and a Triplex scanner (you need a bigger ship than a Discovery) is a little pricey near the start of the game but incredibly useful. It will let you map the entire sector in seconds.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:16 am
corwin

In a new sector, I often target something close by where I want to go, to get the direction right, then I can get close and begin to look for those 'hidden' gates which are side on behind asteroids!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:53 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I picked up that Duplex scanner as soon as I saw it, definately comes in handy.

I also bought a navigation computer so I dont even have to worry about where stuff is, just pick the station from a list and tell my ship to dock

I realy like the way you can still use those onboard computers even when your not in the ship. Having my little Discoverer follow me around while I ship freight is pretty darn cool.
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:17 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

If you think that's cool wait until you get to the point where you're sitting on the bridge of a Capital ship commanding a small fleet of heavy fighters led by a Corvette to clear a sector of enemies so the transports you assigned to a factory can trade in peace.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:30 pm