So many crashes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So many crashes

I bought and installed DD before several days. I really looked forward to it.
Now I have big problem with it. It crashes every 10 minutes or so. My PC completly freeze and sometimes there is repeating sound (sound that was played last before crashing is repeating in neverending loop).
It is crasing everywhere and everytime - when walking, when fighting, when reading manuscripts, when looking into menu or stats.

No other game is doing this (I bought ICWWII in same time and it is running fine).

Data:
CPU Amd 800
GForce2 GTS
DirectX9 Beta
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:06 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Maybe DirectX9 Beta - i don't think Divinity was designed to run on that DiretX 9. Most/Some games will goes berserk because of that thing.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:57 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Agreed. I'd suspect that as the possible culprit.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

No game goes berserk because of DirrectX 9, but probably I should finally try to uninstall it. However I hoped that I will wait for DirectX 9 final.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:29 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

No crashes, but slowdown...

I haven't had any crashes yet, but what I do suffer from is slowdown and freeze every now and again.

When this happened first time, I noticed my hard drive was being accessed regularly, so I defragged it.

This helped a bit but it still happens.

I have a Geforce 2, DirectX 8.1 and I have downlaoded the latest files from Larians site and installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

I have learned to live with it and maybe a future patch will solve my probs.

Regards,

Hex
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:06 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I tried to install everything newest, but I must live with DX9 beta - nothing helped.
So now I am playing IWD2 and I will wait until DX9 will be released and than I will try DD again :[.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:45 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
... but I must live with DX9 beta ...I will wait until DX9 will be released...

Eh? Why? Maybe there's certain programs in your computer that need it, but DX9 beta still not a stable version; And no games (for around another year or more) that will take advantages on any features incorporated in DX9, and currently only Radeon 9700 video card support DX9 (still useless since no games utilize it, which usually appear first in First Person Shooter games rather than CRPGs). So currently even final version of DX9 will does nothing for games in your computer.

However, it is your choice. ^-^
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:20 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I have solved my "slowing down" problem.

My Virtual Memory was set at 384Mb and I have increased this to 512Mb min & 1024Mb max.

This may be obvious to some of you techy guys, but it may help someone else with the same problem.

Regards,

Hex
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:50 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
... but I must live with DX9 beta ...I will wait until DX9 will be released...

Eh? Why? Maybe there's certain programs in your computer that need it, but DX9 beta still not a stable version; And no games (for around another year or more) that will take advantages on any features incorporated in DX9, and currently only Radeon 9700 video card support DX9 (still useless since no games utilize it, which usually appear first in First Person Shooter games rather than CRPGs). So currently even final version of DX9 will does nothing for games in your computer.

However, it is your choice. ^-^

It is not really my choice. I have it and I spent long hours searching for uninstall tool, I found several links, and one site, but file was not there. It is not possible to install older version "over" newer version and I can not reinstall my system now :].
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:34 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, I finaly did it.
I bought new graphic card (GForce 4 Ti 4200) and I formated my main disk and reinstalled WinXP. And Divine Divinity works without problem. I suppose it was DX9.

I am really enjoying this game. However I have feeling that I am leveling too quickly. I am going around one Orc Camp and I am now level 19 and one Orc camp and small part of land was nearly only thing I saw (all orcs, orc crossbow men, orc fighters, elite orcs, elite giant orcs ect.). And read somewhere that there is no challenge above level 25. We will see. Still it is good game and I am only beginning.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:33 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I made it to level 30 or so and then the game started acting funny. Everytime I went to play the game, I had to reset the game settings (Dialog box popped up saying that the game wasn't shut down properly the last time I played and the game settings had to be reset). This happened everytime I played it, and when I would play the game, it was slow (real slow). Again, this didn't happen until after I reached level 30 or so. Plus, the game would lock up for no particular reason. I do have a lot of patience (I did play Daggerfall remember). But, that was several years ago. So, I checked for the latest patches (None) and then deleted the game. Too bad, it was the kind of game I liked, "Questing and Killen"
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:17 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Max Killen
... I do have a lot of patience (I did play Daggerfall remember). But, that was several years ago. So, I checked for the latest patches (None) and then deleted the game. Too bad, it was the kind of game I liked, "Questing and Killen"

You played the Daggerfall? , i heard that game is legendary also because of if bugs . Kudos for your bravery in whacking through the game with all the bugs . If you can finish Daggerfall (did you?) then surely you could finish Divinity
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:26 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hmm... I am near level 30 (currently level 27), I hope I will not meat same problems.
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:17 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I don't think there is bugs will be triggered when reaching level 30; i never have that problem. In Max Killen case it's more possible his pc (hardware) or softwares inside that triggered the problem. Hey Max, maybe you can reformat & reinstall your system during this coming holidays (probably not a good idea spending Christmas time with that ). Afterward it always make pc runs faster & more stable.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:29 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I doubt it is Maxs PC, I have strange feeling that it is Max himself :]. He always meets such problems or some other problems (we know it from Wizardry 8 forum :]]).
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:51 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next