FAQ
Members
Usergroups
It's a small world after all...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
OldStoneHouse

It's hard to say which one is "better"... Gothic or Morrowind. I will say that Gothic had much more personality and flavor. Morrowind on the other hand has a lot of stats to improve.

ON first glance, Morrowind appears to be the "better" game. But after you get down to the nuts and bolts of MOrrowind, much of it is meaningless and bland. Many of the character stats are worthless, almost ALL of the objects in the game are pointless, and it seems like there are only 4 different NPCs that just keep repeating over and over and over and over and over and ....

After it is all said and done, Gothic reigns supreme.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 8:51 pm

Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yet another guest proclaiming how much better Gothic is. *yawn*

Dunno where you get the bland and boring bit. I certainly don't find the game like that at all. I love the freedom of it and having so many choices at my fingertips. This guestly need to say which game is better is something I find quite amusing, truly.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Sat May 25, 2002 9:32 pm
ZyanTundra
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why does it matter if he is a guest or not? Notice he put "better" implying that it is an opinion and not saying it is a fact, where as you just said you "KNOW" Morrowind is better without giving any proofs. Morrowind is inferior to Gothic is almost every aspects, be it story, combat or immersiveness. The only thing Morrowind is good at is being open-ended and big. For someone like me, who has years of experience with MMORPGs this is nothing new, therefor Morrowind is nothing special compare to Gothic, "for me". Morrowind didn't set any new standards, many other CRPGs are better than Morrowind in plot, gameplay, combat system, NPC interactions. Every MMORPGs has a bigger world and more freedom than Morrowind. Morrowind is not the be all end all of RPGs, "I" still think its a great game in recent years, but there were and will be better games than Morrowind.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 1:10 am
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by ZyanTundra
Why does it matter if he is a guest or not? Notice he put "better" implying that it is an opinion and not saying it is a fact, where as you just said you "KNOW" Morrowind is better without giving any proofs. Morrowind is inferior to Gothic is almost every aspects, be it story, combat or immersiveness. The only thing Morrowind is good at is being open-ended and big. For someone like me, who has years of experience with MMORPGs this is nothing new, therefor Morrowind is nothing special compare to Gothic, "for me". Morrowind didn't set any new standards, many other CRPGs are better than Morrowind in plot, gameplay, combat system, NPC interactions. Every MMORPGs has a bigger world and more freedom than Morrowind. Morrowind is not the be all end all of RPGs, "I" still think its a great game in recent years, but there were and will be better games than Morrowind.

Next time I'm sarcastic in a post, I'll be sure to make a disclaimer at the bottom that sarcasm was used. That's exactly what my KNOW post was all about: sarcasm. The silly *bleep* waving on which game is better is truly tired. So very tired. "For me" Morrowind is a much more enriching roleplaying experience than Gothic was but I'm not going to say that Morrowind is the better game nor that Gothic is an inferior game in any respect to it because they are both very DIFFERENT games.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Sun May 26, 2002 3:03 am
Fredric
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Can anyone inform Zyan that Morrowind is not an MMORPG, so therefore the mentioning of him being a MMORPG pimp is a waste of crucial bandwidth?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 7:14 am
rpggod
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i love everquest
i love gothic
i love final fantasy
i love morrowind

and after its all sayd and dune and people keep fighting over wich is better i will still be playing the 4 of them plus
quake/maxpayne/dungeon sige/golden sun
and i will love them all till the eand of time non is beter non is worse
so has the rpggod writen so it shal be done

Post Sun May 26, 2002 9:15 am
ZyanTundra
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Fredric
Can anyone inform Zyan that Morrowind is not an MMORPG, so therefore the mentioning of him being a MMORPG pimp is a waste of crucial bandwidth?

I know it is not a MMORPG, but it sure seems like one. Morrowind is basically an offline mmorpg, don't tell me its not, cuz thats the first thing I noticed when I play Morrowind, imo.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 2:06 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I think rpggod may be the only sane one among us.

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:50 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

He's probably one of those persons that get on a plane on airport A,
doze off at take off, vast at sleep the 8 hour flight, wake up at the moment of touchdown and produce a semi-bored yawn 'that it's such a small country'.

Get off that Siltstrider !
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:39 pm
Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Earlier in this thread, I commented on the "static" nature of the NPCs. Well, after another marathon gaming session, I have to say that I'm really starting to HATE the NPCs.

I realize that the designers couldn't be expected to make each NPC an AI masterpiece, but the repetitiveness is really starting to get on my nerves. It doesn't matter what side of the world I'm on, I just get the exact same response to a particular topic. If they couldn't give every person a personality, at least give the different RACES something unique to say.

And why can't they shut the hell up until I actually initiate a conversation with them? Every person in town that I pass within ten feet of has to give me their standard audio greeting ("Hurry outlander, I haven't much time", "Move along", "Welcome outlander, what can I do for you?"). Ever walk into a room and get the same greeting from two NPCs in stereo? It's annoying as hell. But when I actually WANT to talk to someone, I can't get them to look at me until AFTER I've finished a conversation. It seems to me that a simple solution would be to change their behaviour so that the audio greeting is played only when I initiate the conversation (hit the space bar).

And don't these people ever get tired of standing in the same spot? Are they standing in a pool of their own waste or what? I still maintain that the "bad dreams", "no one can sleep" part of the story is a simple excuse not to program in some sort of day/night cycle, or at least provide for some movement.

And speaking of movement, why is it that when you meet some guy on the road, and after you find his friend/amulet/whatever for him, instead of walking away and proceeding on his journey, he just stands there like a moron???!!! Like, HELLO, you can go now!

OK, here's a thought: How about a mod that lets you say to an NPC "Excuse me, but you're blocking the damned door. Would you please move out of my way before I'm forced to behead you?" I don't know how many times I've been trapped in a room or corridor by some idiot who just stands there staring at me.

Sorry for going on such a rant, but IMO the NPCs really detract from the immersion level in this game. I honestly couldn't care less about any of them. While the world itself is amazing, the characters themselves are sterile and bland.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 11:10 pm
HiroHito
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: It's a small world after all...

quote:
Originally posted by Gofer
I have been playing Morrowind for a few days now and I can get over the "kiddie game" aspect of it. But it is disappointing to discover the world is so tiny. I was expecting Dark Age of Camelot type exploration. But each town is just a little hop, skip and jump away from each other.

Lvl 50 Runemaster here. DAoC is not big. Period.
None can keep us out, and once we're in, there are few that can keep us from our errand, be it burglary, spying, murder, or mayhem. And when our work is done, we scamper away, one rat among thousands.

And not a man the wiser.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 7:46 am
evilbyte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I find that the world is quite large enough for me ... I have a 23 level character and I still haven't explored half of the island ... mostly eastern, southern and northern areas ... central and western Morrowind is unknown to me for the most part, except for a the few western coastal/island cities which I visited by ship

Sometimes I find that I'm not in the mood to walk, especially when I'm running errands on paths I visited often ... I'll take the stilt rider or use a mage to transport me to the nearest city of my final destination to save time.

Morrowind is large and filled with stuff to do and places to see ... if it was larger, I think it would get cumbersome. Even after you've done all and seen all, developers provided us with the toolkit so that some of you creative types out there can expand it ... imagination is the limit.

ib.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:37 am
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I admit that I find the unsolicited NPC comments tiresome as well. However, there are already some very exciting mods out there that take care of this problem. One is called something like the Generic NPC Project, where a fan is starting in Seyda Neen and rewriting all of the NPCs to give them more of a background and uniqueness. I saw another mod that increased the radius around NPCs so they wouldn't be as likely to make comments to your character if he/she is just passing by.

I can't remember the exact names of these mods but both are available at Morrowind Summit and both have received relatively high marks in visitor voting. That's one thing I find so exciting about Morrowind. The Construction kit allows for so many excellent additions to the game to the point where if you don't like something, the chances are good you can do something about it. That's pretty durn cool in my book.

Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:16 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5