View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

hi from the developers

hi folks,

i must admit i was conspicuous by my absence lately. we have finished the addon yesterday night, so from now on i'll turn up more frequently.

i just wanted to thank you for your praise and criticism. you seem to have analyzed the positive and negative aspects of the game very well, which makes your feedback very helpful for us developers.

a comment on the translation and voice acting: the translation was done by non-native speakters, but during the recording sessions, both the mixer guy and the voice actors gave the script a positive mention. i myself (as well as the other piranhas) am not able to seperate the grain from the chaff in terms of that, but i was hoping that their sense of style was not absolutely wrong...

i agree with you, the repetitive apperance of just 16 voice actors spoil the games atmosphere in some situations. believe me, we would have loved to improve the variety, but we just didn't have enough money to pay additional actors. on top of that, the protagonist's dubber (as well as diego's) was no longer avaliable, so we had to pick actors with a similar voice. it's a matter of taste weather you like'em or not. i personally think they did a good job.

if there's anything you'd like to chat about with us, don't hesitate to post your questions or comments here. i'll do my best to answer all of them, and the same goes for my teammates. but please don't ask us for help when you're stuck in the game. in that case, please check the other threads for support. this is rather supposed to be a "behind-the-scenes"-thread

kind regards from germany,

kairo
piranha bytes
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:14 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thanks for posting, Gothic and Gothic 2 are both incredible games

Question:
I may be a bit in the dark here, but is the G2 addon strictly German, or is there an English addon planned as well?
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:42 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Its nice to hear you guys will finally be able to get a little shut eye…but snooze too long, there’s work to be done. I would like to personally congratulate you all on the fine work you have done in crating the world of Gothic and sharing it with us…I hope, like others, that the expansion pak will be released in an English format also…Your game has consumed a lot of my time and my wife is really peeved. I can’t wait to let her know you have just finished another one…

Sylvio
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:18 am
AndyDev
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Let me just congratulate you and say it's one of the BEST rpg's I've ever played, you did a great job.
There is one HUGE problem though. because of this darn game, I can't leave my PC for hours! and people are starting to get upset at me. I mean I come from work, eat, and play the game! and it's ALL your fault

Software engineering today is a race between programmers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe striving to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:20 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Damn I love Gothic + piranha bytes
If you ever need a free voice actor I'm you'r man

No really I'm really happy that's done...

*EDIT* Who! Did you worked al night cause when you posted it it was 04:14

Gothic II Credits
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:28 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Re: hi from the developers

quote:
Originally posted by KaiRo
i personally think they did a good job.

Well, they did have very big shoes to fill .

Firstly (or secondly ) I'd like to thank all of you guys at pb for creating such a great series of games. Gothic was my first step into the role-playing universe and you you gave me a incredible first impression.

Ok a question about the addon: Besides the water mages, can you reveal any other characters from Gothic 1 that we my be meeting?

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:06 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Good to see you're back, KaiRo . It's also good to hear about the add-on...!

Made this thread sticky.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:17 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Hi, KaiRo. I'd like to thank PB for two excellent games, even though I myself isn't such a fan of undead, caves and dungeons... But I like them better than any game else, anyway.

And, I too wonder if the addon will be released in english as well.

The only thing that seems strange to me is all the reviews, with lot of shifting results. Some people doesn't seem to like to have minimized stats and don't create a character in the beginning of the game. But I think it's really good.

Thanks again for these good games.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:37 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@all: thanks for your compliments. does us good, really.

@jekyll/ragnar: as far as i know, the english version of the addon - and other language versions as well - are planned to be released outside germany. but don't nail me down to that, as for the time being, we haven't signed any contracts yet. i imagine it depends on the sales of gothic II.

@andydev: suddenly, i feel so guilty but as long as you don't knock people down to steal their gold or eat strange plants for extra strength, you're allright i guess.

@freakie: you're right. i didn't sleep all that much for the past few weeks. it seems to be a law of nature in the game industry that things are getting reeeally heavy-going in the eleventh hour. i have some spare time this weekend though, that's why i'm hanging around in this forum

ironman: i don't want to give too much away, but i blabbed something out in a german forum yesterday. so why shoudln't i tell you as well? you'll meet cavalorn. remember him? he's not a central figure, but one of the characters that you'll bump into right at the beginning.

@jaz: nice to see you too. it's been a while... thank you for making this thing sticky.

see you later, guys.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:17 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:
@all: thanks for your compliments. does us good, really.

ironman: i don't want to give too much away, but i blabbed something out in a german forum yesterday. so why shoudln't i tell you as well? you'll meet cavalorn. remember him? he's not a central figure, but one of the characters that you'll bump into right at the beginning.

see you later, guys.

I remember him (*grins*). Every new chapter the man was beaten for some ore and bows ect

Just one tiny litle question: When goes the fanclub open
I check every day but it's still not open...

*EDIT* I'm just wondering: Who wrote the story (scenario)???

Gothic II Credits

Last edited by Freakie on Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:29 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

quote:
Originally posted by Freakie

jesus, where did you find that link? the page is aaaage old. it hasn't been updated since ... well ... long ago. we threw the plans overboard, because we piranhas don't have the time to manage a fanclub. we're arranging actions and contests in the forums and on the official website instead.

(here's my reply on your EDIT ) whe have a four-headed story department. mike, stefan, björn and mattias come up with all the ideas. the general idea behind the plot exists for 6 years, and they're adding new elements since then. in addition to that, we're seeking for new ideas and inspiration by the players. that's why we check the forums.

Last edited by KaiRo on Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:37 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Freakie

jesus, where did you find that link? the page is aaaage old. it hasn't been updated since ... well ... long ago. we threw the plans overboard, because we piranhas don't have the time to manage a fanclub. we're arranging actions and contests in the forums and on the official website instead.

I find every site that has someting to do with Gothic...

Gothic II Credits
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:38 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

I hope the the hero well never say his name, I like that every time he wants to say his name people (like Diego ect) will interupt him. I just like that nameless....
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:20 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: hi from the developers

Kairo,

Welcome back and many thanks to you and your team for providing
me with hours of enjoyment with the Gothic games!

quote:

i agree with you, the repetitive apperance of just 16 voice actors spoil the games atmosphere in some situations. believe me, we would have loved to improve the variety, but we just didn't have enough money to pay additional actors. on top of that, the protagonist's dubber (as well as diego's) was no longer avaliable, so we had to pick actors with a similar voice. it's a matter of taste weather you like'em or not. i personally think they did a good job.

So the protaganist was actually a *different* guy than G1? You know what, at the very beginning of the game I heard some subtle differenes in the deepenes of his voice and I could have sworn it was a different guy. But overall he sounded so much like the original Gothic actor that I convinced myself it was actually him. Now that I know that in fact it was a different actor, I'll say that I think he did a *great* job both of capturing the essense of the original voice (English side that is) and dealing with the drama of the script.

As for Diego. Like you said it is a matter of taste. The actor did not do a bad job if you consider the role from an isolated standpoint (i.e. no expectations from Gothic 1). But I much preferred the original Diego. I figured the only reason he wasn't there was because you couldn't get him.

quote:

if there's anything you'd like to chat about with us, don't hesitate to post your questions or comments here. i'll do my best to answer all of them,
kairo
piranha bytes

Nothing to add to what other people have said. Just hoping things
line up right so we can see an English version of the add-on.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:29 pm
AndyDev
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:

@andydev: suddenly, i feel so guilty but as long as you don't knock people down to steal their gold or eat strange plants for extra strength, you're allright i guess.

Actually I was wondering, poor hero, he eats and eats plants and uncooked food all day .

I want a few spoilers
What's the name of our belowed hero????
Any eastier eggs???

I don't really think that you will answer those, but I made my shot
Software engineering today is a race between programmers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe striving to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:34 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next