Official Elder Scrolls OBLIVION interviews, pics, wallpaper,
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Official Elder Scrolls OBLIVION interviews, pics, wallpaper,

Official OBLIVION interview with Todd Howard!!!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_rpgnextgen.htm

Official Announcement

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm

Official OBLIVION screenshots

http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm

Official OBLIVION Wallpapers

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_wallpapers.htm
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:39 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Oh good GOD my computer is going to explode trying to run those graphics.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:48 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Oh good GOD my computer is going to explode trying to run those graphics.

Oh contrare my friend, it will probably choke fast until it is released by death.

Previewers write that even high end machines at the time of it's release, will have a hard time to show everything with all features turned on.

But it sure looks ehhh nice.
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:22 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The game may out during the end of 2005, or first-half 2006. 4 GHZ processor already in market from AMD, so if most gamers buying new PC in 2005-2006, then many would end up with 5 GHZ processor. Windows Longhorn also could come around 2006, so expect many new hardwares like video card for new OS.

Description on melee combat sound good. More options and uses more strategy than MW but seem a little less complex than Gothic. Mostly mouse driven with few keys control.
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:51 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I don't think that it's the number of GHZ on the CPU that is the real bottleneck today.

No drop this old 32 bit architecture on the base-cards, and forget the 64 bit AMD is releasing now a days, go for the full 128 or even 256 bit architecture right away, many graphic cards are already using this technology. And ofcourse we should be able to increase the frequence on the busses as well with todays technology.

It's time to say goodbye to ISA, PCI, and slow front/back and bridge busses.
Faster and bigger "cashes" should also be updated further, as it also is important.

I think they must manage to make an evolution on those points before we actual enter another decisive new generation of even faster PC's.

Well if Elder scrolls V can be played on less than max resolution, then I'm content, I'm mostly in for the gameplay, not the glitter stuff.
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:44 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ Micheal C:

For those kinds of CPU to be useful everything else would need to be seriously upgraded. Just the memory speed alone for a 256bit CPU would need to be incredibly high to keep up with the demand the CPU would place on it.

I have no idea the implications that would have on the size and complexity of the CPU's at the moment, but I bet a sudden jump in advancement like that would also constitute a sudden jump in cost.

I dont know about you but the 64bit AMD chips are already at the outer limits of my budget!
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:19 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Intel scrapped it's plans for the 4 GHz processor in favor of investing into increasing the other architecture aspects. It really is the better way to go until the entire system catches up to the CPU potential.

Makes you wonder what Bethesda is testing it on during development, though...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:21 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
@ Micheal C:

For those kinds of CPU to be useful everything else would need to be seriously upgraded. Just the memory speed alone for a 256bit CPU would need to be incredibly high to keep up with the demand the CPU would place on it.

The speed of the memory don't need to be as high as the CPU's in the beginning to get an advantage of a 256bit bus structure contra the 32bit structure, alone in one transfer it can send 8 times as much data on a 256bit, which actual means it can send more data with the same memory frequence.
Already today the CPU is reduced in activity when communicating to the memory, because of it's much higher internal frequence. But instead of bringing up the frequence on the memory we can broaden the highway to the CPU, as I think we already got the HW technology for that (Graphic cards).

quote:

I have no idea the implications that would have on the size and complexity of the CPU's at the moment, but I bet a sudden jump in advancement like that would also constitute a sudden jump in cost.

Perhaps, if we must break some physical limits that demands expensive materials, but I think that we already have seen these advancements on the the graphic cards without the use of "gold/wolfram" or other expensive solutions, we "just" need to convert it to the full PC structure.

quote:

I dont know about you but the 64bit AMD chips are already at the outer limits of my budget!

Well also for my budget, but it's only because it is still very new, and will ofcourse have their development expenses covered.
But I guess we have to go through these initial expenses anyway until more people have investred in the new technology, and the prices will be reduced 80 - 90%. But my complain is that, I don't want to go through this first for the 64bit, then the 128bit, but want to go straight to the 256bit structure, as I'm convinced we already have the technology for that.
Ofcourse we will need new OS and peripheral items, but this we will need to have anyway for the 64bit and 128bit structure.
But I guess there is more money in having us consumers upgrading our machines and software every year to be on par with a "controlled" and calculated damped development.

@Xen: Elder Scrolls V will probably be tested on "deep blue" or "Hall 2000"
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:20 pm
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

Thank you for the collection of links - a most valuable thing to have for a notoriously lazy person .
My excitement is not so much stirred by the technical aspects of the game, however, than by the prospect of another meeting with His Exalted and Most Puissant Lordship, Gerent of Dagon, Mehrunes (which, at the current state of affairs, might well be a possibility). For me, the most enjoyable aspect of the Elder Scrolls games were their lore and continuity, and I hope Bethesda will be able to keep up both.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:47 pm
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

ok im still new to PCs but talking 256bit cpu i just insane
the amd 64 is still fairly new.. oblivion is most likly due in less then a year htere is no way in hell technology will go from 64bit to 256bit

i mean come on there is not even one game out that utilize all of the 256mb on video cards

the way i see it is when they said next gen PCs you have to be realistic ....even SLI is really new and yet not fully adapted...

My guess when they said next gen they were prollu talking about SLI futhermore both amd and intel on working on dual processors....

anyways thats what i think of it cuz to me 256bit cpu is just non sense
Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:07 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by wacko3
i mean come on there is not even one game out that utilize all of the 256mb on video cards

Doom 3 with Very High texture quality - it thrashes any card less than 512MB.

But then again, id specifically added that mode for future proofing!
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:28 pm
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
quote:
Originally posted by wacko3

Doom 3 with Very High texture quality - it thrashes any card less than 512MB.

But then again, id specifically added that mode for future proofing!

any cards less then 512...ok there is not even one card with 512 yet lolll and wow ONE game........any high end cards right ow will run the game perfectly
yeah Doom3 is a bit ahead of its time but still i stand by my statement
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:30 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It'd be nice if they concentrated more on making a decent game, than trying to impress me with the oh-so "in", lame light bloom.

How about promising us some decent dialogue this time, instead of that joke of a wikipedia that they claimed was dialogue in the last game?

They've been promising the heaven and earth with their AI as well, that isn't easy to pull off, and takes a damn site more to pull off than showing me a pretty render. They have a lot to live up to if they don't want this to turn out to be a disappointment and for them to gain reputations as nothing more than hype-mongers.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:49 am
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Fez
It'd be nice if they concentrated more on making a decent game, than trying to impress me with the oh-so "in", lame light bloom.

How about promising us some decent dialogue this time, instead of that joke of a wikipedia that they claimed was dialogue in the last game?

They've been promising the heaven and earth with their AI as well, that isn't easy to pull off, and takes a damn site more to pull off than showing me a pretty render. They have a lot to live up to if they don't want this to turn out to be a disappointment and for them to gain reputations as nothing more than hype-mongers.

Well from all that ive read im not worried about AI nore dialogue....
NPCs will have schedules but with boundries and they will acting within those boudries. Ill give you 2 example of anecdotes that happen with the scripting of radiant AI: One time one of the gurad got hungry , therefore he had the need to eat, for that he can act withi a bounries ..so he can either go buy some food, steal it. or go into the woods to hunt, all that i guess will depend of the caracter himself if he good or bad or depending on his skills. Th guard went in the woods to hunt, unfortunatly since they didnt get all their stuff right in scripting a riot occured in town because th egurad wasnt there. Another example is at one point every NPCs ended up at the pub at ther same time, and this on guy was pickpocketing everybody lollllllllll .

So i mean when all the scripting will be top notch that gonna be a hell of a livily wolrd to play in. And also all NPCs will have full voice acting and will be able to speak among themself.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:05 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Yeah, I've already heard an example from the developers of that, so it isn't new to me. My point was that talk is cheap, your joy in that example means nothing unless it is implemented.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:38 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next