How to increase difficulty
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

How to increase difficulty

Hey everyone. I am looking at giving gothic 1 another run (especially if I can get the Golden Mod running). Anyway, what I am trying to do is basically double npc damage, while halving my own. Do I have to create a mod to do this or can I access monster strength stats and such through on of the system files?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
later, rordog
Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:54 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Just play the game again wtihout reloading even once. That will make it a 'little' harder.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:14 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ha ha, been there done that. I've also done the diggers quest (up to the final undead orc that requires uriezel). I also started a kick-boxer up to the orc cemetary (where the orc warrior was just too much to overcome with just boxing).
Really what I guess I want is to double enemy damage, because I can already limit my own through skill point spending and weapon choice.
Later, rordog
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:19 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

If that is to happen, Wulf is the man. And maybe Uriziel, too. But, would it be enough just to limit yours?
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:24 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

There isn't much option to what Rordog knows already. Personally, i would opt' for getting the golden mod to work - it has a new angle and is interesting.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:27 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for the imput guys.
Wulf--> Do you have any idea why after I did an uninstall the game will only let me install it to my C:/Windows directory (won't even give me an option to choose what directory I want it to go in) rather than C:/Program Files?
I don't really want it to go in the Windows folder as it will be mixed in with a ton of other files and stuff that may be important and I don't really want to risk deleting one of them by accident or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Rordog
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:09 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Some games install to C: by default, some can be altered later some cannot, i am of the same mind Rordog, all neat and tidy, all my games go onto D:
Did you try making a folder first? - then maybe reboot, then point to it on install. You could also try creating a sub-folder say> C:/windows/Golden - this might trick the installer as 'windows' is what it is looking for, then you might be able to move it to another place or rename it.
In the past i have sometimes edited the install routine file where it will say 'C:/windows' and alter to suit say 'C:/golden' then save - you may have to search several files to find it
Try similar things along this line, if you get stuck we could try other things.

Better still, i will download and install see what happens and let you know...i will report back here.

Edited:
Nope, it's all russian to me, can't see any further way to help at the moment.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

@Wulf, appreciate your efforts, but you may have misunderstood. I had no prob installing golden mod (it just didn't work), so I uninstalled G1 so I could go from a clean install. However, now when I launch the G1 installer it partially in German (checkboxes ie. language and data packs displayed in german text) and it does not let me choose an installation directory.
I have reinstalled G1 berore and never encountered anything like this.
Anyway, I dunno what to do (hard drive wipe is not an option at least for a couple months).
later, rordog
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:29 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Rordog, you can try uninstall, then run a registry clean program. This might remove any previous registry pointer to an install directory. Then re-install. I use a program called One-click that removes temp files, internet trash, etc., but it seems to find alot of hidden reg entries when it does the reg clean.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:25 am
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

OK, rdog
to install this golden mod, u only have to download the russian mod, then the english one. And if u see the menu (it change; another wallpaper) u can start a game. When i did it firstly, the mod stayed russian.. So i reinstalled it in the same way, and now it works
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:52 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

edited for double post

Last edited by Rordog on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:25 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I was never really worried about golden mod working (which it does now), but rather the fact that upon a reinstall of G1 it was forcing me to install to C:/windows (where a number of important system files are).

Even a registry cleaning was unable to overcome this problem so in the end I just gave in so I can play G1 again +Golen mod.

Thank you for everyone's imput.
rordog
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:28 am
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

It isn't importent to reintsall gothic to play Golden Mod....
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:24 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

quote:
Originally posted by Rordog
I was never really worried about golden mod working (which it does now), but rather the fact that upon a reinstall of G1 it was forcing me to install to C:/windows (where a number of important system files are).

Even a registry cleaning was unable to overcome this problem so in the end I just gave in so I can play G1 again +Golen mod.

Thank you for everyone's imput.
rordog

Isn't it possible just to copy paste them into the folder you want??
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:10 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Back to the original topic of this thread -- see the thread "Tips on Followers" for ways to modify the NPCs and monsters in the game.

One trick someone mentioned works very well - use a bow/crossbow to target an NPC or monster at max range and then use marvin to edit them.

When taking followers around, it was the best way to get them to attack Orcs (rather than ignoring them like human NPCs). I just changed the Orc's guild to that of a Goblin (from long distance) and then the followers would attack them gladly.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:35 am