New to Gothic II have a few ?'s
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Slachkey
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

New to Gothic II have a few ?'s

Just picked up Gothic II and so far I have been blown away. This world feels alive like no other game I have played.

That being said I have a few questions.

1. I want to play as a mage but the game manual says that mages are for "advanced players". How hard is it to play through the game as a mage?

2. If I join as an apprentice with someone, does that mean that I cannot go back and become a different class? I'm confused on how to become a mage or paladin and I don't want to get stuck before I realize it.
------possible spoiler------more specifically the first thing I have done so far is learned to skin animals from the bowmaker. He says that if I do a quest for him then I can become his apprentice. If I choose to be his apprentice is that like picking my class?------------

3. I entered some building and got slaughtered by some paladins. Any way to know which buildings I can enter and which I can't? This building the door was wide open so I didn't think it would matter.

4. Is there a way to eat healing foods without going into inventory, like in the middle of a fight?

Ok, that's all I can think of for now. If someone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:38 pm
craptor
Village Leader
Village Leader

ahh got some "question mark" 's ??
ill give you some full stops

1- Mage is quite hard i would say. You should be very careful when u spent your Learn Points and think about future. You should join mages as late as possible because when u join then it requires double LP for strengh and dex and quadradle(sp?)(4X) LP for fighting skills.

2- Becoming an apprentice has nothing to do with your class. You can become a blacksmith and a mage, or a alchemist and a dragon hunter. They are totally independent.

3- Well. Sometimes they warn you. Such as when entering the townhall. If u have access they let you in. If u dont and u insist they attack you. If u enter somebodies house in the top quater first they warn you but they dont attack. If u steal something from the house they kill you. I dont see any other reason that would make them attack you.

4- U cant eat plants without opening inventory. But u can use healing/mana potions without opening inventory. U have to activate quick keys. U can doing it by editing a line in gothic.ini but i forgot which line was that.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:20 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: New to Gothic II have a few ?'s

quote:

1. I want to play as a mage but the game manual says that mages are for "advanced players". How hard is it to play through the game as a mage?

It's not exceedingly difficult, but developing your mage is a bit more involved than the other classes. Also, the quests you need to complete to become a mage are a bit trickier than the other factions.

Another point is that in order to create runes (that cast unlimited-use spells), you must have a blank runstone. There are more spells in the game than blank runestones so you must decide which spells are going to be your major picks. I won't give any suggestions though because you should play the game the way you want to...

Also, there are more health potions in the game than mana potions, so you shouldn't waste your magic on low-level creatures. Save your mana for the medium/hard guys. For this reason alone, I would suggest learning either Bows or one handed weapons up to at least 30% before making the full commitment to becoming a mage. That way you have some competent fighting abilities to take care of lower-level foes.

quote:

2. If I join as an apprentice with someone, does that mean that I cannot go back and become a different class? I'm confused on how to become a mage or paladin and I don't want to get stuck before I realize it.
------possible spoiler------more specifically the first thing I have done so far is learned to skin animals from the bowmaker. He says that if I do a quest for him then I can become his apprentice. If I choose to be his apprentice is that like picking my class?------------

No, apprentinceship does not exclude you from joining any of the factions. It is merely a way of getting some skills/exp. in the early part of the game as well as serving for a stepping stone for joining the militia.

The points-of-no-return as far as picking classes is:

1) Join the town militia --> Locks you into the Palladin class
2) Join the mercenaries --> Locks you into the DragonHunter class
3) Join the monastery --> Locks you into becoming a Mage

quote:

3. I entered some building and got slaughtered by some paladins. Any way to know which buildings I can enter and which I can't? This building the door was wide open so I didn't think it would matter.

I think I know the building you are talking about. It's the Palladin's sleeping quarters and unless you are one of them or in the Militia, they will get upset if you walk in there.

Before they attacked, though, they should have drawn their weapons and asked you to leave. That is your warning. Maybe you were going so fast you didn't realize someone had warned you.

quote:

4. Is there a way to eat healing foods without going into inventory, like in the middle of a fight?

There is a way to configure potion keys in the 'Gothic.ini' file. Look in the
system/Gothic.ini file and read the comments. It tells you how to uncomment a line that allows you add a 'drink potion' key.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:26 pm
Slachkey
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

re:

Thanks guys for the quick response, I really appreciate it

A few more questions though.

1. Is there a limited amount of learning points? Can I become a blacksmith, alchemist and any other trade if I put enough time in or will I eventually run out of learning points?

2. I guess you get learning points when gaining a level? How many levels are there in this game?

Again, thanks you guys for taking the time to answer my questions!
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, the number of levels is practically limited. You can influence it a bit if you play slower and spend a long time hunting, but itīs still limited. So you have to specialize. Wasting a few points here and there is no problem, of course.

Enableing instant potion keys was a gimmick for the Diablo crowd. A real RPGer shouldnīt need this.

Gothic is meant to be played slowly. Explore everything, talk to all named NPCs, think before you fight and enjoy the beautiful world.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:08 pm
craptor
Village Leader
Village Leader

After you have become an apprentice of someone - bowmaker, alchemist, blacksmith - you have to stick to that one. No matter how many LPs you have cant become an apprentice of somebody else. Also once u have become an apprentice u cant change it.

If u play really slowly and kill everything u should be able to reach lvl 41-42 without making use of any bug. MY max lvl was 44 and i used some bugs
10 LPs each lvl. ( Gahh I hope i dont remember wrong, would be so ashaming ) that makes 410 - 420 LPs so dont worry u have plenty of them
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:19 pm