Lintra tries again ...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Lintra tries again ...

After a hiatus of nearly three years, I figured I really should finish this game up. Last time I tried was right before NWN, Morrowind, and my move to Bermuda ... so Wiz 8 got put to one side ... its been sitting there waiting for a chunk of time to show up ... since Mrs Lintra is in a play that has rehearsals every night for the next couple of weeks I figured, Wiz 8!!

So, I started a new party over the weekend. Just now getting out of the monestary ... would've been much quicker ... but I could not, for the life of me, remember how to call up the auto map. Figured it out right before I left the monestary.

I'd forgotten how engrossing this game can be. Am very much enjoying this trip through, but lets see how I feel once I hit the road to Arnika. I recall that this can be very, very challenging - or not. Depends. Elven mage is pretty vulnerable at this stage (although a walking mayhem machine ... as long as the mana holds out).

Which raises two questions:

1. I seem to recall that one needs two character in a 'slice' of the party formation set up to prevent penetration through that 'slice'. Is this correct?

2. I also seem to recall that there are definate 'safe' resting points out doors ... how can one tell those from all the other chunks of turf out there? Only trial and error, or is there some general rule of thumb I've completely forgotten?
Post Wed May 25, 2005 4:51 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey Lintra, glad to see you've picked this one back up. Maybe after you're done with this one, you can install one of the new mods that are out now.

1. Only one character is required to "fill" a slice; however, if that character dies (and maybe some other conditions, not sure) then that slice is now considered open.

2. The only "safe" resting spot on the Arnika road that is on the way to Arnika is behind the house before you get to the 'T' (where the landscape first starts to turn green).

I haven't tried to fight my way to Arnika since some of my first games. I just run there now.
Post Wed May 25, 2005 6:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

What he said...

So what's yer party, Lintra?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed May 25, 2005 11:04 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Pretty standard:
Dracon Ftr
Dwarven Priest
Human Sam
Elven Mage
Cat Thief
Mook Ranger

As I said, pretty standard. But heck, I need an easy first time through *grin*.

I was toying around with 3 Ftrs (Dracon, Lzrd, Dwarf) + Thief + Priest + Ranger, but decided that was a tad extreme for a (still) newbie.
Post Thu May 26, 2005 10:09 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would not call your second team extreme. You could finish the game just as well as the first one. I find that fighters tend to make things a little easier and a bit more mindless when I am playing.
Post Thu May 26, 2005 11:44 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Bah, you can sleep in practically any corner that has some cover. I love corners. I just park my magic users in the back and put some melee types up front to soak up hits and deal out pain while the magic users dish out the death.
Post Thu May 26, 2005 6:58 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Val - yeah that was about right. As I was fleeing from a bunch of beasties I just could not dent (a sorceress and 5 piercer modai all with 90+ HPs ... how a lvl 6 party is supposed to deal with these I just DON'T know) I ran into some bandits and took out my aggressions on them. Burnt off my few remaining offensive mana points and all my healing mana (and a couple of healing potions) killing the six of them off ... most of the party was near death (those modai sure packed a whallop, 'tho sorceress went down in burst of fire *grin*). So I headed off the road hid behind a tree, crossed my fingers and pushed the rest button.

Whew! Made it through to morning. I am now ready to tackle anything ... well almost anything - no more piercer modai please!! Of course I didn't see another baddy until after I got to Arnika. *shrug*

Looking back on it, I wonder if there wasn't some way to take those baddies out. I imagine they were worth a ton of experience *grin*
Post Thu May 26, 2005 7:11 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ah, good old Arnika Road. The most unbalanced map in the game.
Post Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Ah, good old Arnika Road. The most unbalanced map in the game.

Yeah, and it ain't gettin any easier! After getting the wheel key I went to return to the monestary to see what is on the other side of the door. Yeah right.

Ran into a group of 5 bandit like types. Killed them off (pretty tough fight, they all had ~120 HP). While healing up got hit by an other group of 5 bandits ... looked just like the group I had just nailed, so I figure "Guys, we're a little low on mana, so lets just run by them". Nope. Got sandwiched between two groups. Was able to run out, going the way I'd come (couldn't run through the group in front, they'd blocked the path too effectively).

Left the map, rested up (after a surprisingly tough encounter with 9 bats) and tried again. Same situation!! ARGH! So, when I stopped last night, the party was, once again, on the Anika-Trynton road map (the one inbetween Arnika and the map outside the monestary), pretty badly banged up.

Am I supposed to wait before returning to the monestary? Or have I just had a run of bad luck? I just can't see how to fight my way through these guys ... and of course I am concerned about getting cornered in the canyons leading to the monestary if I try running.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 11:02 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

My strategy has always been to wait until my Bishop, Monk, or Psionic got the Insanity spell before heading back down that road, but that doesn't apply here.

I would back into a corner whenever I would see a group of monsters. Rotate out characters as necessary if they get damaged too bad. Go back to Arnika first if you do not have enough healing potions and stock up. You may want to get some Nectars too.

BTW, what level are your characters right now?
Post Fri May 27, 2005 12:15 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Most are level 9. The ranger is 8 and Vi is 7.

I debated long and hard about traveling with Vi, but I figured I'd put her on a flank, the Samuri and figher are in front, the ranger brings up the rear, the thief is on the other flank, with the mage and cleric in the middle. When surrounded (and no hope of moving to a wall - happens when awoken by a ton of bats) the cleric changes places with the ranger cuz he can equip a really good shield and has a much better AC.

Question: Have you guys found it better to freeze the Ranger into using only a bow? This is the route I have choosen, but would love feed back.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 12:24 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Level 9 characters should be able to handle the road back to the Monastery.

Ranger: Normally I have my Rangers stick strictly to bows. This way they become very effective at ranged criticals for the latter part of the game. That being said though, you do have a Mook Ranger. As Mooks can use the Giant Sword (extended reach ), I usually focus them on swords.

Another option on your formation would be to have your fighter and Vi in the center, the Rogue and Samurai on either flank, and the Ranger, Cleric, and Mage in the rear. This creates a "wall" with the flanks and center, thus protecting the rear. You then just face the "wall" towards your opponents. This also gives you the ability to move characters to the front if necessary.

quote:
When surrounded (and no hope of moving to a wall - happens when awoken by a ton of bats)

If possible, always sleep in a corner (the deeper the better, great for cone spells) with the vunerable characters towards the back. Getting surrounded should be a rare event.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, it is time for me to feel dumb.

quote:
Originally posted by _gator
Another option on your formation would be to have your fighter and Vi in the center, the Rogue and Samurai on either flank, and the Ranger, Cleric, and Mage in the rear. This creates a "wall" with the flanks and center, thus protecting the rear.

Hadn't thougth of that. Good idea. Of course it makes the back rank reachable by long reach weapons.

quote:
Originally posted by _gator
If possible, always sleep in a corner (the deeper the better, great for cone spells) with the vunerable characters towards the back. Getting surrounded should be a rare event.

Won't make that mistake again.

Thanks _gator!
Post Fri May 27, 2005 1:40 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
Of course it makes the back rank reachable by long reach weapons.

In your other formation, your center characters would have also been reachable by long reach weapons. Only the Ranger in the rear would not be vunerable.

Remember though, that you can always move characters to the front to protect the rear from extended weapons.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 2:10 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The other advantage to _gator's "wall" formation is that you can equip your casters with extended range staves and let them swing away once they're out of mana.

Survival on Arnika Road is all about knowing where the "funnels" (_gator's calling them corners) are and racing from one to the next until you get where you're going. There are 3 good funnels between Arnika and the Monestary "turnoff", a great one in the house clearing, a passable one just past the clearing, and at least two I can remember between the turnoff and the Northern Wilderness.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next