Members
Usergroups
Major performance problems... hlp me!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
bandito_de_vida

Major performance problems... hlp me!

I get 5fps in town and while travelling. Sometimes I can get up to 10fps in shops and homes. My system specs:

Athlon 1700+
256 PC2100 RAM
GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB
Win XP Pro
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:43 am

bandito_de_vida

btw

To help you guys solve my problem, I put all the options down to their lowest settings.

BDV
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:51 am

TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

It seems like the weakest link would be the graffix card. That does seem ridiculously low though even considering that card.

I have about the same setup as you, with the exception of an 1800+ and GF4-MX440 64mb, and I get 15+ in towns with high settings (15 is the absolute lowest I see in Balmora. Most of the time it is in the 20's or higher up into the 100's inside buildings/caves).

On my PIII 500 (now deceased...I think Morrowind killed it ) I was getting higher than what you are getting and I was using medium settings. Something has to be wrong with your setup.

If you haven't aleady, update your drivers (graphics & sound mostly) and perform defrag and scandisk and stuff to get your drive optimized.

I'm not too familiar with the GF2, but are there tweak utilities available. Or maybe try adjusting your system-wide video settings in the advanced video properties on your desptop settings? Tweaking the system settings for the card may reap you some benefits.

Sorry I wasn't much help
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:26 am
miltonic

Try these tips

You only have 256 MB of RAM and you are running Win XP. Win XP takes up 128 MB of RAM just for itself, leaving Morrowind only 128MB of RAM to work with. When working with AI and other things in those large environments, your probably taking a big hit in performance. I'd recommend having 384 or 512 MB.
The graphics card is a little out of date as well.

Since you are probably looking for an answer that doesn't result in upgrading your system, try these.

Download the NO-CD rack of morrowind-mods.com. It disables Safedisk, utility that comes with morrowind and is running while your game is playing. People state that their framerates improved by 20-30% when disabling it. Do a search, this is probably the most popular morrowind performance tweak you can do.

Make sure you have enough virtual memory available on the drive where your OS is installed. If the drive is near full, that could be your problem right there. Scandisk and Defrag your drives as well, that can help immensely, especially if it's been a number of months since you've last done it. There are some good morrowind tweak FAQS on the net, do a search and you'll find them eventually. Good luck.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:21 am

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I have absolutely no performance problems (except for well, yes, in Ebonheart at night) and my system is the same (Athlon 1700, GeForce2 and Win XP pro) except for RAM (512 MB).
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:32 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

I don't have any performance problems with morrowind, don't no my framerate.
I have a even weaker system.
The only difference is that i run on a
athlon 1333
windows me

Morrowind will slow down if I play it for a wile, so i need to restart my pconce in a wile.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:37 am
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

wierd... I have Athlon 1400Mhz, GF 2 MX 64MB(hehe lol, Ti4600 on the way), Win XP Pro, 256MB RAM, I play morrowind at 1024x768 and I get 15-19 FPS outside and 30-40 inside but I use old drivers(23.12). It must be something wrong with your game
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:38 am
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'd reinstall as my box is faster than that:)
Athlon 1ghz
Geforce 2 gts
256mb ddr
win2k sp2..

Id agree with the more ram thing as xp is memory hungry...
Try stuff like defragging your drive and increase your swap file to 1gb..
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:57 am
bandito_de_vida

thx

thanks for the tips guys. I think the old drivers are the problem, and I could use that NOCD crack. Hopefully if I clean up my system, it'll all come together!

BDV
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:55 pm

sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hey there, bandito...aside from tweaking your stuff, there's one thing I dont think anyone has mentioned that might help. Morrowind, as it is, uses alot more resources from your CPU, thus putting stress on that component, thus creating more heat, thus degrading the performance of MW. This is not good. heat is the number one killer of CPUs, so my suggestion is this-get a good "water-cooled" fan for your CPU, my friend. I have a Cooler Master on mine, and so far i have enjoyed fair-to-good play with MW. I even took the side panel off my PC to let more air in. maybe that's superstitious, but i've burnt out 2 CPUs with crappy fans so you can see why i do it.cheers
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:59 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I built a bon-fire in my computer and played Morrowind for 10 hours straight and nothing every happened...

Heat is not an issue with gaming, because if you can run any application for extended periods of time, then your computer is not over heating.

I would say RAM is your issue though, but you shouldn't be getting 5fps outdoors, so I'm wondering if you're just exaggerating.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:20 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

a bonfire........riiiight.

I have seen cpu burnouts happen in games- polygon/texture heavy games. twice, in fact.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:03 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

CPU's don't burn out from a single game. If they burn out during Quake 3, then they'd burn out during Microsoft Word. It's just that simple.
Every single processor comes with the proper factory tested fan to keep the CPU cool enough to run at optimal levels for as long as the computer is on.

Heat has no bearing on what program you're running, it's there all the time, whether or not you're playing Morrowind or surfing the internet.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:20 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

You sure? I always thought of it like a car engine. If it is just there idling it won't get that hot, but if you run it at redline for a couple hours, you may get some problems, especially if you are at or below minimum requirements.

A graphically intensive game will require a lot more processing cycles than a MS Word doc. If what you said were true; basically "no matter what the program, it puts the same strain on the cpu", we could all run Morrowind on a DX66. After all, MS Word will run on a DX66

Maybe i'm just an idiot
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:13 am
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

well, Quake is nothing for a nice, fast Cpu, but its hell on a 500 mhz k6...hmmm.
yeah, i think tribalman has it pegged, mate. MW has "redlined" my pc just from playing it ALL DAY. if you look at the task manager's performance readout WHILE running MW, its using almost 100 percent of the CPU. MS Word does not. and they both generate heat, but MW more. why would you even need a fan otherwise. did you ever notice that OLD, OLD ass PC's dont have fans on the CPU. hmmmm. try running MW on an awesome video card/crappy cpu, you still get heat buildup. its there, bro.#polygons/textures=#cpu cycles
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next