Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Should Gothic 2 be made as an X-box game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

should the gothic series be a video game?
yes
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
no
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
Orc Hunter 06
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Should Gothic 2 be made as an X-box game?

i think jowood and Pb should publish gothic 2 on x-box... i dont even have an x-box, but i would buy one if they did, also i think it should be different than the original gothic in certain ways so that people would buy it. maybe have the addon added in and change the story line a little bit... any ideas or comments?
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:48 pm
Rallos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why X-box, its not like it would support the games graphics. Gothic isn't a Microsoft owned game so it should be for all consoles.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:15 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Gothic is an excellent game, however it does have some major flaws.

The main problem with console audiences is they want instant gratification and super slick presentation. Gothic doesnt realy deliver on these aspects.

The main reason Gothic would work as a console game are:

Controls: Console owners would turn their nose up in discust (It requires thinking).
    Graphics: Console owners (Especially XBox) expect their games to look super wonderful with environment bump mapping, super high polly counts etc. Although Gothics graphics are very nice and can be appreciated by most of us here at RPGDot, it doesnt have the required eye candy that console owners expect.
    There are probably more but you get the point.

The bottom line is, Console owners arent anywhere near as forgiving as PC owners when it comes to flawed genius. Gothic would bomb on XBox. I dont expect Arx to do much better.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:51 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ya, ppl who play console games want more polish than originality and depth.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:05 pm
Matt TRD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What are you lot on? I own an Xbox and the only games so far that look good are Halo and Splinter Cell. Everything else hardly compares graphically.

Gothic is a sublime game and deserves a wider audience so why not release it on consoles. I am sure that provided they reduce the details they could get it to run acceptably.

As i am fortunate to own all the consoles and a PC i can honestly say none of the current consoles could run Gothic II as well as my PC without reducing the graphical quality.

Xbox needs a quality rpg and no Morrowind with all its bugs and boring gameplay does not even remotely compare with Gothic II.

P.S if you have a good spec Pc you wont find better graphics on consoles.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:14 am
Orc Hunter 06
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

if not x-box then ps2 or gamecube or something... i just picked x-box cause it was more closely related to computer games... i just figured it would be interesting to see a game like gothic on the video game market, since there arent any real good ones yet, and i thought it would be a good way for PB and JoWood to make more money but there should be some small changes in quests and story line (or an entire different story line, like going to the dark side and following xardas instead of being a paladin or dragon hunter) i think most people would but it if it were on video game, and you would have to worry less about lag and running out of hard drive space
Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:31 am
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

maybe on X-Box 2

(yes, they are making one, it is not just a rumor)

Broken in Exile
Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:15 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I say no because, if that would be a succes the publisers would turn to making GothicIII a console game. I always hate it if games that originaly were released on PC suddenly swich to console because of the profit the publisers make by it, for example: Starcraft. Startcraft and bloodwar were released on PC but the next Startcraft title (Startcraft Ghost) goos to the
X-box.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:22 am
Orc Hunter 06
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i dont think that PB or JoWood would move permanently to the x-box im sure that gothic III would still be pc, maybe both, but forsure pc
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:14 am
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

Why x-box??? Why do they always take good games and put them on x-box so ppl wont be able to play them? Its not fair, i mean they always make a "Batter" x-box or PS... what? Do we need to buy those expensive things just to play a single game?
For axemple:
I played baldors gate 1 and badors gate 2-shadows of amn, But now, i cant play BD3 Because its on the x-box... Why? Its such a good game, when ill be able to play it, there will be gothic 1000000000000000000000!

I hate it when they do that to good games!
I agree with EVD...

(Ok, Im calming down... im calming down... )
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:28 am
thebiz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd like it. It'd look and run better. It'd control great as well. Gothic would be better on console IMO.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:52 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

hello people? are you even sane?Piranhas are here to make money and bigger audience gothic2 gets, more money for them.Also more money means they are able to make gothic3 much better.i'm quite sure if g2 would be translated for xbox, it would be a success.There are not THAT many quality rpg games expect morrowind or kotor fot Xbox right now..One of my pal wondered the same thing.he would like to play gothic2, but he isn't going to update his pc anymore.
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:50 am
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

One the xbox can easily handle the graphics and complexity of Gothic, if can handle Morrowind just fine so could it handle gothic 1 & 2.

Two: It might be an idea to put it on console, but the interface would need to be simpler and less keyboard oriented.

Three: while the console market is big on graphics and being done in 20 hours or less. One has to remember that some of the major rpg's of our time are console oriented. Final Fantasy any one of them was easily 30+ hours. they are all console.

Before I went console with gothic I would check out Morrowinds sales first to see if they are worth it.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:46 pm