Interesting article about women as game creators
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Interesting article about women as game creators

I read an interesting article today on MSNBC about the growth of women in game creation and development. Here's the link:

http://equipped.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=13
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:46 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for posting that Davo. Nice to know someone appreciates a good women when they see one.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:09 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

It's good.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:57 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i just read that article real quick

the only game mentioned by name that women were heavily involved with was "The Sims"

that sends a very NEGATIVE message about having women create games

if women involved in creating games means that we will get more horrible POS games like "The Sims", then i say ban all women from game development
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:12 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Go read it again.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:16 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Navaros
i just read that article real quick

the only game mentioned by name that women were heavily involved with was "The Sims"

that sends a very NEGATIVE message about having women create games

if women involved in creating games means that we will get more horrible POS games like "The Sims", then i say ban all women from game development

The Sims isn't horrible. It's actually very good. However, many people (I'm guessing you included) find it boring. I loved it, and I think that more women should get involved in game development.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:46 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
The Sims isn't horrible. It's actually very good. However, many people (I'm guessing you included) find it boring. I loved it, and I think that more women should get involved in game development.

Here here!!

The sims is an excellent game. Just because it strays from the highly tired and overused genre of men with big guns and small genitalia doesnt mean its a POS.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:54 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Yes, Chekote, I'm sure all those game characters are compensating with big guns.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:57 pm
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

It would make a refreshing change to play games about pink fluffy kittens instead of killing things. However since the market is still male dominated the pink fluffy kittens will be holding the guns. Although it should add a few twists to that genre.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:56 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire

Here here!!

The sims is an excellent game. Just because it strays from the highly tired and overused genre of men with big guns and small genitalia doesnt mean its a POS.

I've bored the guns in the game.Too much blood and kills and all this violance.Sims was a piecefull game.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:21 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Sounds like the sterotype is alive and well.

Sorry to break the bubble, but women may be more cunning and deadly than any man with a gun. We just do it quietly, with a lot more planning and almost never get caught.

I love a good battle, love the weapons, love to wack the bad guys into submission. I hate bunnies, and most women who would be involved in RPG developement would be more than willing to spill the gore bottle all over the pages. We are not adverse to that at all.

We buy the same games you do. We play them the same way, and we enjoy them for all the same reasons. If you don't want to be referred to as mindless jocks who just want to shoot up stuff, than don't lump us into pink bunny stuff. Fair is fair.

Anyway, just thought I would give my women's lib speech for the year and get it out of my system. Don't yell at me, or take offense. I am not picking on anyone, just expressing my thoughts on the matter in general.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:00 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I know why women are not as prevalent in video game development. Women do not like to play video games as much. I was at a wedding a week ago. While I was at the table eating with the bridesmaids, someone mentioned his PS2 and ALL the women said, "I hate playstations; I wish there were no video games."

OH, the blasphemy , the pain , the insolence , how dare they condemn my precious Playstation , I NEED my Xbox. Were they not women I would have killed them for such words, but they looked so good in those dresses I realized I need them more than video games.... But the fact is they did not like video games.

As women get more interested in video gaming, more women will find careers in game design. People should not try to force women into areas they do not want go into. When companies realize that they can make more money selling games to women, they will make more games (such as "The SIMS") for women and they will hire more women to gain insight on female tastes. As long as the market is free the market will reflect the wants and needs of people. Our only job is to keep it free.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:42 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Originally Posted by Darrius Cole

quote:
As women get more interested in video gaming, more women will find careers in game design.

quote:
When companies realize that they can make more money selling games to women, they will make more games (such as "The SIMS") for women and they will hire more women to gain insight on female tastes.

I have to point out two things here. One, women are interested in gaming. It may not be in the same numbers as men, but we are out here. But the hiring rates don't even match that % according to the article.

Secondly, the Sims is not my idea of a good game either. Give me G2 or NWN any day. I want combat, story and good quests. It is a personal choice and just as there are men who liked the Sims there are those who hate it. Same with women. Just cause I am a girl, don't assume that is what I would buy or create. That is the point I wanted to make. I will shut up now.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:03 pm
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

I do apologise if I came over sexist but I was trying to point out the game market will keep producing the same old games from the same old think tank because it sells. My definition of pink fluffy kittens was any new radical ideas coming from female game designers will be hit by a wall of male prejudice. I'm sorry, I should explained myself more clearly.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:47 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Don't take my comments personally either. You simply used a good phrase to point out male and female sterotypical ideas of what the other one likes or doesn't like.

I just like to stir the pot once in a while and hopefully make someone think about other ways of looking at women. No offense taken or meant.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:17 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next