What do we want in a patch?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Lords

Author Thread
Mitchy71
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What do we want in a patch?

First of all, I really wish I hadn't bought the game when I did. It is far too glitchy for a finished product. Makes me wonder about our alternatives as buyers and false advertising? I mean character generation was listed on the box.

Anyways. What do people think should be fixed in the next patch? Other then having to reload all the time due to a glitch, I think the maps should be the most important thing. The automap and maybe a world map that shows the position of where you are in relation to known territory.

One other thing I think this game needs is a Journal. To keep track of what people are saying about how to get where. Or even latest news on the Lords daughter and whatever. I mean, this is silly having to write stuff down just to play a game. I play games to relax and get away from paperwork, not to create more.

Lastly, I really don't like the disable traps/open locks feature. And you get punished for being more advanced. My character has a disable traps level of 7. To open a level 1-4 trap takes forever for the icons to appear. The only way I could miss that 1% chance of failure is if I leave to go to the can while they are coming up. So I examine the chest and leave if one icon is at the end. Couldn't they have simply made the chest auto open if your skill level is high enough?

I am interested in what other people think too. It seems like Dreamcatcher is getting an inordinate amount of hate mail about this game, so have been retructuring their forums. That is supposed to open sometime this week. Maybe they should have fixed some of the stuff wrong with this game while they did the Beta testing. Although, I think now we are the Beta testers.

Thoughts? My first post on the BBS BTW. Thanks for having me.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 2:56 pm
zaneor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Some thoughts

You have mentioned important things. Things that of course already should be included in the game. I agree with you totally.

The game is sometimes really boring and frustrating, because of the fact that it takes to much time to accomplish things. Of course I would not continue to play this game if I would not think that itīs funny and giving enough, but something should be done to increase the pace of the game. I would like to be able to run or atleast swim faster in the game. Further I would like to see, in the open (woods and Fagrove), less monsters (even on "Less" they are annoying to me, except for goblins, elves and soldiers) and instead more experience for a killed monster. Nobody likes to run around for hours with little or none progress and the wolves, bats, bees, spiders and the scorpions are just annoying and almost not worth killing. We are already able to increase or decrease the amounts of enemies, but I would sure like to be able to decrease the amount of crapmonsters. When out in the open and meet them, if I can, I try to outrun them.

Why not to be given the possibility to get the Moonstone earlier? That would save alot of time. That should be easily done by making the Moonstone-creatures easier to kill.

One thing that adds to the irritation and to the feeling that this an uncompleted game, beside the lack of people and furniture in the cities, and the lack of music and sounds, is that dialogs often continue like nothing happend just now. Like with the Appothecary in Arindale. I killed her husband and she didīnt react.

You made me going now... Itīs not especially difficult to complain about this game. One thingīs for sure though, todays games have some kind of "baby-sickness", like a new car-model. My dad use to say: "Do not buy a new car-model. It probably got a lot of faults." Itīs a pitty that this counts for the game industry now. Before the next time I buy a recent release, Iīll think twice, especially from Dreamcatcher.

Last edited by zaneor on Tue May 24, 2005 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 24, 2005 5:49 pm
Mitchy71
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok. Some more.

* Fix Treasure Chests in the Manor house in Fargrove. And maybe add some in the tower in Arindale. The guys say you can have what you want. Give something.
* Make the altars in temples actually able to heal. That is something else missed
* Anyone notice that in the Inn in Arindale doesn't actually have a room you can rest in? Even though thats a useless feature it would be nice to pass the time.
* Add a button, or even let the directions, enable you to dive while swimming. I hate having to go near shore to jump in to see if I missed anything when I find a hidden treasure.
* Add somebar or something so you can see just how much magical power you have. Its hit and miss with fireballs like how many you have or how fast it will come back. Will potions that add magical power be included? All in all, it makes single class wizards weaker then fighters, even at high levels.

I won't even touch all the various glitches, but this list is growing the more I play. I am getting more and more frustrated and am even wondering about playing anymore.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 7:06 pm
Runeblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

- Bees and Bats follow you into the water when you submerge. I think thats a drag.

- Liquid air and power potions don't work.

I know they probably can't fix this but... I hate the tiny hills that you can't climb and trying to get out of the water is a pain sometimes. I suppose they can't fix that now but really.... don't go under the bridge that goes to Emmindors tower or you'll get permanently stuck. Hey I like to root around in weird places.

This isn't a bug but a gripe (and a possible spoiler). Why is there no ruins at the Harrow Ruins. That was dissapointing. YAY I'm going to some ruins! BOO theres no ruins!
Post Tue May 24, 2005 9:51 pm
Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've always found the lockpick and trap disarm system to be weird. It seems so backwards that it's designed so that the better you are the longer it takes. The whole concept of speed picking/disarming seems bizarre.

An automap would be good of course and fixing the scripting errors is a must. I've read there are some real nasty scripting bugs where if you save in the wrong spot and reload that save there will be important triggers that don't reset properly resulting in game breaking glitches. Then there's the task switching issue and just the general lack of polish that should be dealt with sooner or later.

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Wed May 25, 2005 10:11 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

um in the lock situation your saying, i jsut bash it, that way it does it automatically for me.

actually, i bash every time now. i like the mini game but its gotten old i just let it do it for me and take the damage

as for a patch, well that is usually going to be small things not large things.

well a map definitely. I think this game needs a map more than most games.

Um a journal sounds like a large thing but that would be nice.

a very large thing would be to add a lot more npcs.
Post Wed May 25, 2005 10:35 am
Zu'l Zorander
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wishlist includes:
1) Automap
2) Side-Quests apart from the Mainquest
3) Less of those annoying 10-12 Wolves apearing (nearly) all the time
4) Some Dungeons/Ruins outside the Mainquest to explore
5) Some NPCs to talk to (to maybe get some Side-quests)
6) Working Heraldry
7) Working Dual-Weapons (for example the Frost Dagger as a second weapon has NO effect)
riddance of some of those Bugs (Trial of Ancients, Tomb of Souls, Tree Totem, etc)
Post Wed May 25, 2005 2:50 pm