17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Thread
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Which is better? PC or Mac

This may be a silly question, seeing most of you will be games fanatics, but which do you feel is better, the PC or Mac?

I've been to many Mac discussions and they (Mac) have started this Apple Switch campaign to have people say the Mac is better on TV. I use a PC. But I have to say, today's iMac looks pretty impressive, although not altogether there yet for the serious games player.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:10 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I would have to say the pc because of software and hardware availability and cost. However I will admit that I know nothing about the Mac being that I have not used one since like 1988. In a lot of benchmark test results I have read, it always appears that the Mac wins, but I just feel these are biased in favor of the Mac platform.

As for the newer Mac commercials, in my opinion those do more harm than good. Having some idiot actor/actress talk about how hard it is to do something on a pc because drivers are required etc. Those are like the Dell commercials. I think they are aimed at the illiterate computer shopper, because anyone with half a clue would just be like "shut up idiot".

Maybe one day if the Mac gets more support I would switch, but until then the only way I will use one is at work, if the circumstance arises.

Last edited by TribalMan on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:40 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Pc. MacOS has got to be the second worst OS that ever existed. After Linux, of course.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:40 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

You only have one-third to one-half the functions in a Mac, as clearly indicated by the distinctly less number of mouse buttons.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:21 am
-Rattlesnake-
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Depends on what you want to do. Macs are undoubtly faster (their processers, while seemingly less in mghz, are actually much faster than that of a PC,) but they're much mroe expernsive. They're good for graphic design. They have a good OS.

PCs are nice low-cost gaming machines. They have a clunky, privacy-invading OS, but have more mouse buttons. Personally, I like my 800mgz G4 better.
Every man returns to dust

-Phish, Farmhouse
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:37 am
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Since I feel like breaking stuff today i must vote Mac because they are better fit for that purpose..

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:10 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by Jericho
Since I feel like breaking stuff today i must vote Mac because they are better fit for that purpose..

The horror!
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:31 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Pc, babayyy ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:07 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Mac may be better in the hardware department right now, but that is changing. Mac is starting to shift to software dependance like pcs so they can compete better.
At that point, they'll be just the same.

My personal preference is for pc.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:19 am
Lizzy
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Pc. MacOS has got to be the second worst OS that ever existed. After Linux, of course.
*Gasp* *shock*

I happen to like both those OS's. MacOSX is much more stable than Windows 2000 or XP. It's also great for a home computer, it's fast and the hardware is very reliable. I happen to know alot of Mac users and compared to Windows, it's like seeing black and white.
Your question is kind of skewed, since technically Mac computers are Personal computers, so that's why I'm comparing Operating Systems.
If you know how to use Linux, then I'd say you'd probably like it more. But It's not designed for a personal computer. The plus's for Linux would be that it makes a better webserver and doesn't ever get viruses because of it's architechture doesn't allow for it, also it's easier to type root as opposed to Administrator.
Back to Mac, the downside of getting a Mac is the cost and the software availability. But I know alot of people who own Mac's and absolutly love them, of course they're not gamers.
If your into more serverside based operating systems, there are some good free ones out there. Take FreeBSD for example, great for webserving. Also RedHat, a linux os, again great for webserving.

I guess what it comes down to is purpose. If your looking for something to play games on, then your probably looking for a PC. If not, Mac's have a lot of great features that most PC's don't come with, and will suite all your needs. If you are looking to run a webserver, I'd look into Linux. If your like me, you have a PC for games at home and a Mac at Work for work.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:24 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I don´t know about MacOs. I think it´s messy, hard to navigate and all in all user-unfriendly. And that´s when just using it as a workstation. When trying to administrate it in a network, it´s horror, pure horror. As for Linux, I know that it is in fact much more stable and far better suited for servers than Windows, but hey what can I say, I like the graphics. And what´s up with all the different packages needed for when trying to install something in Linux. Why not put them all in the same *.tgz-file for crying out loud?

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:42 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

For me it is PC, never even used a Mac

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:55 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I Like Pc. I had a macintosh once ( it was a really long time ago ) and I didn't like it to much, maybe the new models are better. And I always feer that games like Gothic won't work on Macs
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:08 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

PC all the way. The hardware is better and can be upgraded easily.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:06 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I must admit my bias since I earn a living off PC's. In Australia, Apple has a restrictive distribution policy (they'll only supply to Apple Centres - only one Apple Centre in any geographic area). I have no doubt this type of policy will ultimately kill Apple's hardware business and they will move to rely on software as Val indicated.

Anyway, back to the point. I'm constantly told how superior the MacOS is and I recently fiddled with one for the first time ever (not sure how I've never managed to touch one previously, but I hadn't).

It took me quite some time to make any sense of it! I've worked with computers for many years, and I'm sure my intimate familiarity with Windows makes it harder to adjust to different ways of thinking, but there's simply no way in my mind that the Mac interface is inherently easier to use.

PC. For breadth of range and choice in both hardware and software and Windows XP is excellent.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:07 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next