Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How to???? Learn Enchanting and how to use soul gems??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hawk
Village Leader
Village Leader

How to???? Learn Enchanting and how to use soul gems??

I have been practiceing my spells and don't have a clue how to trap a soul or use the gem it I did. How do I get my Enchant level up?? Do you have to buy the level. Is there a spell of enchanting I can get to practice the level up. Can't find any info on this. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

To raise enchanting you can:

a) use a lot of magic items with charges (not weapons that cast on strike, though)

b) create magical items (expensive and wasteful)

c) recharge magical items with soul gems (not a bad use for low powered soul gems

In order to trap souls you need to buy a spell of Soul Trap. It's a Mysticism spell. When cast you have a certain amount of time to kill the monster ... if you do its soul will get trapped into a soul gem (IF you have a gem that can hold it, which is mostly a trial and error thing).

My enchant has gone up like crazy after aquiring Azura's Star ... it's a quest item that's pretty hard to get, but it's a gem that can hold any soul (one at a time). I use it to trap everything in my way and recharge my weapon as soon as I trap a soul.

All in all the easiest way to raise the skill is to get it trained. It very well may be the hardest skill in the game to raise on your own.

To actually USE the soul gem after you have one with a trapped soul simply drag it onto yourself like potions, weapons, armor, and alchemy gear. You'll then get a menu to enchant an item or recharge an item.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:43 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Enchanting is not a real magic school. You trap souls into soulgems with the "Soul Trap" spell, that belongs to the school of Mysticism. To improve the skill, you have to enchant items or recharge them, which is done by equipping soulgems. As a side note, it's very hard to enchant anything because even if your skill is at 100, you will fail most of the times with serious enchantments...
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:54 pm
Hawk
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thanks to both of you for the help. I am wondering where I can find someone to teach me Enchanting. I don't remember if I met anyone yet. I have met enchanters but no option for training only getting an item enchanted. If you remember where please let me know. Thanks again.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:04 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Most of the Mage Guilds will have someone that can train you in enchanting. Don't remember where the "Secret Master" is, though. If someone wants to post the location of said Master, please use the spoiler BBS code since I would rather leave this thread in the general forum.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:08 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Spoiler:
The Enchantment master trainer is an Altmer named Qorwynn . You can find him in the ancient stronghold of Indoranyon. But be careful. He is hostile to your character. You'll have to sneak up to him using a powerful chameleon spell and raise his disposition to 100 before you can remove the chameleon spell. To make things even harder, you have to fight several Daedra and a battlemage before you meet Qorwynn.

If you've been through all of that, he will eventually train you. But even an enchantment attribute of 100 will let you fail most of the times when trying constant effects. I guess you will have to boost your intelligence, too. My advice is: If you have the money, let someone else do the enchanting for you.

Mod Edit- I'm hoping you just skipped over the part of my post where I asked to use the spoiler code.
Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:29 pm
Hawk
Village Leader
Village Leader

I DID IT!!!!! Now I'm running out of soul gems! LOL!!!! Thanks so much everyone!!
Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:11 am
Sibs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hallo,

I'm faily new to Morrwind and still trying to find my bearings.

I wanted to be clever and have my good broadsword enchanted with the souldrinker-spell so it would cast souldrinker when I strike my opponent with it. Failed of course, spell is only cast when used. But I always get the message that I did not trap a soul, although he was right in front of me. So what would the enchantment have to look like?

Thanks,

Sibs
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:44 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Check your soul gem inventory. You're going to run out of gems very quickly using that sword, particularly the low-capacity ones.

Welcome to the boards!
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:35 pm
Sibs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi,

thanks for the welcome and no, I don't run out of soul gems - that was my idea, to have it "cast when strikes". But it's only "cast when used", and even that is not working with me - too low range I suppose, and too short duration. Nevermind, it's only the beginning and that is always trial and error!

Sibs
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:18 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, unfortunately a Cast When Used won't do you much good at all.

You need a Cast When Strikes, with a duration that matches how long it'll take you to kill it. Note that if you do create this sword, you will go through soul gems very quickly, and your sword will frequently be out of power. It might be worth staying with a Cast When Used, but give a slightly longer duration than normal and make it a ranged effect - this would certainly be easier to deal with, and allow you to pick your souls more carefully.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:41 am
Sibs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

"Cast when strikes" does not seem to be available with this spell - but then I am "bittergreen" and have not tried much yet. But I thought a weapon like this would have spared me the time of changing from magic to melee.

Bye, Sibs
Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:24 am