FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where's the big money in this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Necrox

(please disregard the terrible spelling, I was a bit quick on the keys there :p)
Post Thu May 23, 2002 9:22 am

Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I accumulated more than enough money (except for that I would have needed to enchant powerful items) through regular trading alone. There are plenty of items to be found in the 500 to 4000 range. There are enough merhants with 1500 to 2500 that you can sell these (under market value) with a respctable income. Also, I would buy services (Training) from some of these merchants, and then trade higher valued items to them to get my money back. This almost always seemed to work, particularly with a few trainers in the Balmora mage and fighter guilds.

The point is, you don't *need* more than about 10-20k to be very comfortable with most purchases/bribery that you need to accomplish in this game, other high value items are not really for sale anywhere, anyways.

The exception, as I noted before, is enchantment. In order to enchant constant effect items, they ask for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of gold. Additionally, I have yet to hear of someone on the boards (or myself, for that matter) who has successfully enchanted an item with a powerful spell/constant effect. Aside from the better recharge rate, I haven't really used my enchant skill at all.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 10:55 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Well, given that this is my first time through the game I won't download any mods, although I might do that the second or third time through. But the vendor in Caldera sounds promising.

I cannot for the life of me use alchemy - my character is only at level 25 in this skill (most of it purchased) so there's really not much hope until I can buy a few more skill points. Plus I have no idea how to make potions anyway. All I've tried is using the mortar and pestle with a couple of same-effect ingredients, but it always fails.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 12:47 am
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

Another great source of funds for the purists, is to sell skooma to creepy each bottle is 500 gold, quick and easy cash since most thiefly caves have these in them.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 7:35 am
Mourn

Is it really cheating if you are a lv 35 or so and just tired of waiting 24 hours every 10 seconds in front of creeper. its not like you don't already have the trade systems beaten. i made over 70k off of the orc armor at the stronghold east of the ashlander camp (begins with u can't spell )
just took me alot of game days of waiting (and a few trips back and forth that stuff is heavy)

and while i say that i still won't use any mods till i beat the blade's quest fairly. but giving creepy about 50,000,000 is really tempting.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 9:29 am

Mr. Sixpack

Cheating

Cheating this, cheating that.
Yes, probably you are right, it MIGHT be considered cheating. But what the heck? Are you really such a sorry bastard that you dont have nothing more to do than spend hours and hours in front of a computer screen to get 15k numericals out of a computer program?
Sorry? Hello? Anyone home?
I understand that some may be angered by others cheating their ways to heaven, but face the truth: EVERYONE only plays the way he sees most fit.

And yup, probably I ll be cheating now, too. Thanks for posting the money mod. That saves time. And time is money .
Post Fri May 24, 2002 4:12 pm

Meistet_Dragosch

cheating or not? - that is the question!

If anyone here says that modifying a trader so that he has a lot more money to be able to buy really expensive items from you, wouldn't you also regard it cheating if you wait for 24h a lot of times in order to sum up a great amount of money after a while? Of course you would also need some other valuable items(about 1k-5k or so) and not only the one you wish to sell(which might be worth a lot more) but in the end you will have exactly the same effect: you will sell an extremely precious item for a large amount of money. In my opinion it's completely unrealistic that a merchant regains all of his money within 24h. Where should he have it from? You cannot tell me he could do so by legal means.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 4:34 pm

Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I found a vender with 9000 in cash. He gave SUCKY trade value for items though. He was in one of the tribe camps.

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Fri May 24, 2002 4:38 pm

I have, without cheating, created:
a daedric shield with a constant effect of 25 points of night eye and invisibility. That was expensive.
and an ebony staff that adds 100 fire and cold damage over a 30 foot range. Great for clearing out fighters guilds and mage guilds, if you ever come up with a reason.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 4:40 pm

Necrox
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey I don't care what people do themselves as long as they don't cheat in MP games and as long as they are aware that they waive all rights to brag about how cool their character is and what cool stuff he/she has the second they start cheating.
Someone here was just trying to justify what they were doing and not call it cheating to make themselves feel better, and I just pointed out what IS in fact cheating.
Personally I don't cheat till I've played the game through a time or two, because it totally ruins everything for me. The fun thing about CRPGs (other than story/plot) is to build up a character and collect cool stuff for him/her within the limits of the game... emphasizing BUILD UP. Meaning that if you cheat you're gonna miss that aspect totally. Sure it's fun to play god for 15 minutes, but it gets old SOOO fast.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 4:41 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

A trader mod with cash isn't cheating. Its a convenience, and a damn good one too.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 8:34 pm
Daudr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Without any cheating at all I now have 1.28 million on me and the following items with constant effect enchantments:

Daedric Shield of Health = 5 points health regen
Daedric Face of Speed = 15 points Fortify Speed
Daedric Gauntlets of Strength = each gives 12 points Fortify Strength
Daedric Axe of Vigor = 3 points stamina regen (I run everywhere without stamina loss)
Exquisite Ring of Intelligence = 24 points Fortify Intelligence

All these items (and more) were obtained using Creeper in Caldera and without any cheating. Creeper now has an entire inventory of ebony and daedric items I did not need.

Even with vendor issues, money is very easy to obtain in this game.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 8:35 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks to this post I accu,ulated 68,000 from Creeper using a couple of soul gems that I'd found and created (using my Soul Drinker dagger) and a few other high-priced items I couldn't use. I was then finally able to train myself well in Armourer, which will save me lots of cash. I also trained myself well in Alchemy, and other assorted mage skills, so that should help a lot cash-wise. In this process of all this training I also went up three levels, which was very nice as well.

I'm now strong enough to carry a bit more loot ( I've left behind more stuff than I ever took out) and so the cash should start coming now.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 11:50 pm
bedwine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Getting a bug up your butt for cheating is foolish

I have been using the scamp for trading armor weapons and potions. I have accumulated about 200,000 by using the waiting 24 hours method. It really gets silly. Waisting 24 hours for 40 days straight just to rid ones inventory is down right stupid. AND IT IS AN UNBALANCE in with the game. There is know way to argue otherwise. They shouldn't have 60,000 dreg items and have vendors with more cash. By the way, Why don't people sleep in this game? It is a goofy thing for the player to be the only one in the game who sleeps. Why should one have to sleep to level up. The whole concept is goofy with this game. Don't get me wrong. This is a great game but there are some serious gaming flaws in the game that knock it down from being what could be the greatest RPG ever made.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:41 am
gaden

theres a guy in the zambani camp (I think thats the way its spelled) in the grazland region that has 9K gold and buys everything
Post Sun May 26, 2002 10:29 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next