Space Rangers 2: Review @ Hooked Gamers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Space Rangers 2: Review @ Hooked Gamers

Hooked Gamers has posted a <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/710/710069p1.html" target="_blank">review</a> of Space Rangers 2. The Gameplay gets a score of 8/10 but graphics, sound and too much text pull the score back to 7/10 overall:<blockquote><em>Space Rangers might not ring a bell to anyone but the most hardcore gamers. I didn't even know the game existed until a month ago and now that I've played it I have to say it's no wonder that it isn't known too well. It's not a bad game, mind you, but the time investment to get anywhere in it is really too much for any but the most dedicated gamers. And that is precisely what I didn't like about in this game.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri May 26, 2006 6:43 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

That link is going to an IGN page for Hellgate: London!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri May 26, 2006 6:44 am
ikbenrichard
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

too much text ingame?. seems they like simple games. reflects the IQ of the average gamer nowadays sadly . the game was great eventhough the graphics are a bit simple.
Post Fri May 26, 2006 8:04 am
MasterLich
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sr2

Time investment? Ah, the impatient are numerous these days. Besides, there IS the famous difficulty adjustment slider.

In fact, there is a lot more happening than e.g. in Oblivion in this game all the time and the Russian team behind it must consist of some really clever people. Weirdly this title was published in UK already in 2002 and I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of months ago.

There is a lot of text, yes, but when I'm in the mood for reading, I pick up a text-based quest, and when not, I go and fight somebody, quest or not. You can play this game pretty much without reading the news, but reading them gives you interesting opportunities. My guess is that there have been several people writing/translating the text content and that's why the quality varies a lot. Native English speakers might get annoyed because of errors, but somehow, and maybe because English is not my native tongue, I have so far understood the point.

I've been playing this (one character and) game for about 40 hours now and I start to get really addicted. It is not like "I finished the main quest because I only did those quests", because you can only speed up the research needed to gain knowledge of the real enemy (and not a lot). I have no idea how far I am in the main quest, but my guess is 20 - 25 % finished.

Some of the quests are randomly generated, for the text-based ones it seems the locations vary. The game is supposed to generate a different galaxy for every game, but I haven't tried that yet...

The AI is brilliant when it comes to overall management and generates a real feel of a galaxy with a dynamic economy and 5 races watching what the others and the player does, but it lacks in the combat AI part.

Overall, I would give a score of 9.1 out of 10 based on following opinions:
- most importantly, this game is simply FUN and "atmosphere (not much atmosphere in space)" is great and contains some good humour
- technically I've experienced one CTD so far and no bugs
- sounds OK, music depends on your taste (techno-style)
- graphics are as good as they get in a 2D space game
- combat is a bit simplified, but if you would really have to plan each turn carefully, you would not have finished a single game in 1,000 hours.
- interface is actually quite good and some thought has been put into it
- AI is super and calculates somehow the movement and action of every ship in the galaxy every turn a bit like in X2/X3
- at 100 % difficulty my *** is handed to me exactly often enough to think of alternative ways of getting through
- can get frustrating when "you have to get there in x days" and someone kills you on the way there. Sometimes you have to reload to a stage before the quest, because the super-fast ship that does not like you is in that system already before you accepted the quest
- RTS missions and mech fighting have a short interest span, but nothing is really obligatory in this game to progress

Note: RPG elements are light, but you can choose from 6 different professions that affect your starting attributes and spaceship. No real levels, you just get EXP that you can spend to an attribute after you've gained some. Higher attribute, higher the need of EXP to raise it again. Some enemies scale, but according to what???
Post Fri May 26, 2006 9:19 am
ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

He's just wrong, plain and simple wrong.

I thought the gfx were excellent. They don't need to be better, they do exactly what they need to do. In fact, in many cases they're more than they need to be. There is no need for the animated people on planets for example.

The sound is excellent as well. I really don't know what he's complaining about.

How anyone can not appreciate the text adventure quests is beyond me. And the AI is obviously very advanced.

what a n00b!

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Fri May 26, 2006 9:22 am