Usergroups
Greyhawk - The Temple of Elemental Evil (PC, Single-Player R
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I haven't played Wizardry at all, but from what i've seen in other single player games like NWN and the Baldur's, some of the realtime combat just seemed haphazard and more than a few times I'd be unable to cast spells or control my other characters in time. I like that this game will offer more control over that. Plus if they're going to have good AI for the NPC's then that should keep the combat interesting too.
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:16 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@redTiger - In W8 the combat is turned based with an overhead tactical display. Essentially there are five "zones" Front, left, right, back and center. Pole weapons can span a zone, but other weapons are limited to attacking only the zone directly in front of them. It works quite well.
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:56 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by RedTiger
Has anyone actually beta-tested this one yet?

Is there a beta going on for it yet???

From what I have read in the reviews such as http://www.gamespy.com/previews/august03/templeofeepc/ the one at gamespot I think I would be interested in playing in the beta for sure. Test out the new 3.5 rules and some turn based combat- bring it on
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:02 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Re: Looks great

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
Originally posted by Wastelander

That said and all aside anything with "turn-based" in its description deserves a look.

Though being turnbased doesn't necessarily work, remember the combat in Wizardry 8, truely awful!.

Many gamers don't think so! They like the challenge.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:14 am
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
@redTiger - In W8 the combat is turned based with an overhead tactical display. Essentially there are five "zones" Front, left, right, back and center. Pole weapons can span a zone, but other weapons are limited to attacking only the zone directly in front of them. It works quite well.

That reads like a good system. I'm starting to jumble up some of the older party-based games I've played, but I remember some of them worked with a zone like system for attacks and spellcasting. It worked pretty well, definitely more challenging. I'm hoping the combat system in this one is more organic though.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:30 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I mentioned this in another thread, but FYI Gamespy is having an open chat with Tim Cain (Troika) tomorrow at 4 PM. I'm getting all my questions about the greyhawk plans ready.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:26 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

In my opinion the best combat system in a crpg ever made was the one for wizardry 8.

The only one to the best of my knowledge that had ranks in 3d.

The orignal wizardry games had ranks but they were in text. When the games were made graphical such as might and magic the 3d combat effects went away.

Only one game made party combat in 3d. I believe sir techs jagged alliance is something like this also or related.

TOEE is not going to be like wizardry 8 though lol so I dont know why I pontificated on it. TOEE is going to be like Arcanum., or fallout except delete the seperate 'combat' screen.

I believe you will switch to combat mode when hostiles are around. And cant stop until theyre all dead or your dudes get far enough away.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:03 am
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

ToEE is essentially based on the engines used in Arcanum but according to Tim Cain's gamespy chat last week, the combat engine was completely redone. The info i've heard/seen about the tactical interface is that it's using a radial menu for each character.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:11 pm
seamusmc

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
Since game is single player only, there is not much use for editor.

What? This statement makes no sense. An editor can be used to create single player modules. People are still creating single player modules and plugins for BG2 let alone Dungeon Siege or even NWN.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:34 pm

Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

My one (and sebsequently ONLY) try at turn-based combat was Pool Of Radiance and it was fantastically, truely, god-dammed, bloody awful. It took so much T..I..M..E in a game that was in its self below mediocre that I gave the game away after 20 mins of play. It put me right off this type of game-play.
I also had a go at Wiz 8 and hated that kind of turn-based combat too. It was a tedious and totally unremarkable game. I think that a GOOD turn-based combat type game is going to be dammed hard to create. The sheer amount of time the combat takes must be dammed near impossible to get around. And while I realise some control freaks like that kind of thing I'd rather have the AI do it for me, leaving me free to consentrate on the nuances of the RPG. I'd like more of the Thief-type games (without the short missions) where there's no (or very little) combat, and your character evolves through using his/her intelligence, wits and guile. Are there games like that about?
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:35 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Actually, the old gold box series had great turn based combat. Because you know... they designed the first D&D games like D&D.... turn based. No patches required, didn't risk deleting your hard drive, and rarely locked up or crashed, either.

I cite Neverwinter Nights as being the best implementation of 3rd edition complex rules, sure, but ultimately the BEST DIRECT TRANSLATION of D&D rules belongs firmly to Pools of Radiance (the original, not the Ruins of Myth Crapola).

If Troika can pull that kind of translation off with the complicated 3rd edition character rules they will firmly stride to King of the Hill of D&D games. Even if the story ends up sucking somehow... if gamers can play it and go 'wow! it's like playing D&D but faster!' people will complete it anyways. That said, if I have faith in everything it's with the story... I loved Arcanum's setting and story, simple as it was.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:55 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

You know strange that you mention the gold box games.

MANY years ago I went to a public question and answer thing at a game convention with black isle games.
I had totally forgotten the names of the developers. None of them was Tim Cain because Ive seen his picture, but many of them could be these developers names that I see in news from Black Isle Im not sure.

Ok at that time they were working on fallout 2, or another fallout type game. To make a long story short, they said their goal was to create a game like the ssi gold box series, that they were big fans of it. At this particular time, baldurs gate was not out yet but about to be in a few weeks and they knew what it was like although we didnt.

The game fallout was orignally designed to be a the engine of the Pen and paper GURPS game, there were supposed to be about 10 games or more all in different scenerios just like the gold box games. GURPS is generic universal roleplaying system steve jackson games, I dont know if it still is popular today.

It did not work out that way, they didnt get the GURPS license and altered the names of the skills and perks and what have you. Im pretty sure there was a lawsuit as well.

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw that in, that the Troika people, and black Isle for that matter then and today, were trying to recreate the ssi gold box games in todays tech. As a matter of fact, I think the lionheart project is related to plans that old. I believe its story and plan were created a LONG time ago and finally given to another developer to create.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:44 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by seamusmc
quote:

What? This statement makes no sense. An editor can be used to create single player modules. People are still creating single player modules and plugins for BG2 let alone Dungeon Siege or even NWN.

So first you will create the module and then play it? You already know where everything is and nobody to share it with.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:46 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by seamusmc
quote:

So first you will create the module and then play it? You already know where everything is and nobody to share it with.

Repeating seamusic, there are a ton of SP NWN mods out there. Same logical situation. I guess people just like to show off how creative they can be.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:51 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's out, but i'm sure that's old news at this point ... anyone playing it yet? i'm waiting for the fedex guy right now.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:09 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next