Sea Dogs 1
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

Sea Dogs 1

has anyone ever played this game? it looks kind of cool, but I dunno if it's good enough to add to my already overflowing list of games to play. and also a second Sea Dogs is coming out with graphics like Morrowind.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:17 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I have played it, a 3d - Pirates ! game, unfortunately the game doesn't take place in the Caribbean Sea, but in a fantasy world. It is fun to play, sometimes difficult and get the latest patch - the original release was buggy.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:08 am
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

A very good game, yes. Kinda hard to find, though. But as HiddenX said it can often be difficult. Even on easy setting I definitley found myself struggling with some of the sea-faring battles (which are seriously awesome, just like all those good ol' naval adventure movies you've seen). It's highly open-ended, very similar to Morrowind in that there is a path you can follow with a storyline but it doesn't matter when you start it, or if you start it. You can just make a living for yourself. Problem is, as a captain in charge of ship and crew you have to make good money, and that is hard to do. I found myself constantly losing funds just trying to upkeep artillery and crew members, let alone attempting to upgrade the crew and ship.

But, it is very fun. Great graphics, too.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:55 pm
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have a feeling we'll all like Seadogs II a lot more.

For the sequel, they've seriously beefed up the RPG elements and tightened the open-endedness that could make the first game feel a bit aimless. It's a much more focused game. It's great looking (I saw a fun demo of it with Pete Hines at E3) and I think will be MUCH more of a crowd-pleaser than the first game.
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:03 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

How old is it? Will it run under Windows XP and how powerful does my computer need to be?
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:21 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

@Gig

All about Seadogs:

http://seadogs.bethsoft.com/gpoverview.html
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:38 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

@HiddenX--Thank you for the link!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:53 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by irritantnumber6
...tightened the open-endedness that could make the first game feel a bit aimless. It's a much more focused game. It's great looking (I saw a fun demo of it with Pete Hines at E3) and I think will be MUCH more of a crowd-pleaser than the first game.

The very thing that made the original Pirates fun was its complete and total open-endedness. Every time you played, the game was completely different. I'm starting to get sick and tired of being served everything on a silver platter. That's prolly why I quit W3. Every unit being scripted down to the last second. No originality any more. No imagination required to play games any more.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:02 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

There actually is a pretty large online "Pirate Community", if you check out the official Bethesda Sea Dogs forums, youll see there are people that are totally into the crpg pirate thing. I play Stronghold with a couple of them, and they are seeking the ultimate pirate game, and seem to think Sea Dogs 1 totally sucks. According to them, the bugs are the stuff of legend, and just making the game work well enough to play is no small feat. Supposedly thr graphics are good but thats the only good thing. Even when i expressed some degree of excitement over Sea DogsII after reading the official site and checking out the screens, they were down on it already and said that Bethesda is totally incompetant. They are an onery bunch when it comes to the purity of a pirate game, it suprised me!This caused a small rift between us because I got pretty sarcastic like well eXcUUUUUSE MEE. A lowly landlubber like me suggesting a new pirate game might actually be good! Looks good to me, SDII is definitely on my list. And its on theirs as well, no matter how much BS they want to throw at it i know they prolly got advanced copies ordered,lol
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:25 am