Usergroups
Ultima Ascension
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of an active Ultima Ascension board? I was using the Wayward Avatar's board, but it seems to be gone all of a sudden. I'm mainly trying to get the thing running smooth, but it's a pain even on my fairly modern system.
Post Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:25 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hm, sorry, no - haven't heard of one lately...
Post Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:30 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

How about a couple of other questions. Would anyone recommend the game? I always thought it looked interesting, but held off on it because of bugs and poor performance. It's probably as patched as its going to get now so I thought I'd try it. It seems the performance is still an issue though.

Has anyone played it recently and got it to run smoothly with a non 3Dfx card?
Post Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:19 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

With all patches applied it runs fine on a 1400Mzh Machine with Geforce 2 MX (64MB) and 512MB Ram. However, this doesn't say you will like the game itself, it's rather, well, childish and basic sometimes...

Post Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:53 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I played the Ultima IX, on a 350Mhz pentium with GTS2 64MB card, and 128Mb ram, with a fair result, but adding the Ram up to 256Mb made the game even more playable. And don't forget the patch 1.18F. The game is more liniar than the usual ultima games, but still have a lot of good gameplay.
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:18 am
Garrett

I played it on a PIII 500MHZ with 256 MB Ram and a Geforce 2 MX and it performed well. I also loved the gameplay, very atmospheric and since it is the Avatar's final adventure, every Ultima Fan should go see it!
Be aware that it is however only a RPG light...
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:27 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Ultima IX RPG light...? hmmm. I guess i know what you want to say, but not what you mean!
Ascension may not have a lot of character building and multiple characters to control, but many other good RPG issues like, different worlds, many puzzling quests, fairly good action combat, lots of items to collect/use. Lots of NPC interaction, evolving story, spells, potions. Well , yes the game is more an adventure game than a character powerbuilding game, but in IMHO still deserves the name CRPG no more , no less!
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:47 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I had mixed feelings about it, although I liked the immersiveness, I hated the choppiness and bugginess. The overall feeling was that of frustration, although I readily admit I had some fun with it.
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:50 am
Garrett

@Michael C: I didn't say it not an CRPG - but an RPG light. There's no doubt it has less CRPG elements and also its RPG System is less sophisticated than for example BG2's or Wizards & Warriors'...
It has less stats, less character development possibilies, is too linear...

[ This Message was edited by: Garrett on 2001-10-26 04:58 ]
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:56 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I enjoyed playing it. I hear the fan patches at http://www.fansforultima.com made it even better. People seem to especially like the dialogue patch from what I read there.

Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 5:25 pm
Bourrie
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:

On 2001-10-25 15:25, Raldor wrote:
I was using the Wayward Avatar's board, but it seems to be gone all of a sudden.

The Wayward Avatar's board is still working; check it out:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~ultima9/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:40 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks Bourrie. It must have just been down for a good part of the day yesterday. I couldn't get to it for some reason.
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:23 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for all the other replies too. I'm still undecided on this one. I've played up to meeting Lord British, and the game is enjoyable, although I understand the RPG-light reference. The jerkiness is hindering my enjoyment of the game though. I have it patched up to the unofficial 1.19, and it's still choppy.

I got the framerate test savegame, and my average framerate from that test is about 35. That's with good visual quality settings, so it shouldn't be too bad, but the game is still jerky when the camera moves around. I'm wondering if it's something separate from framerates, but I'm no 3D guru.

I'm considering putting my old Voodoo2 back in the PC to see if it helps any, or maybe I'll try it again in another year when I'm running a 2 or 3 GHz and a Geforce4 Ultra or whatever.
Post Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:11 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

when the forums *were* running for this game, they had like 20 different .ini files tweaks you could do to help game performance.
I bought the game last year and ran it on a PIII866, GeForce 3, 384 MB RAM and still it got choppy after 2hr of gameplay so dont get discouraged, just tweak and re-tweak.
(PS- yea it got choppy but that 2 hour is pure heaven, smooth as butter and everything just flows, like in Gothic)
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 4:34 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I love the Ultima 'world', hell Ultima 3 on my Atari 800 got me hooked on CRPG's, but this series has been going into the drain for years. It's a case study on how to 'screw up' a wonderful license.

Under no circumstances would I recommend Ascension. It's a nightmare to get running on a non-Voodoo card, and when you do it's jerky, buggy and flat out boring. Combat is incredibly weak, the interface isn't any good, look this is a flat out BAD game.

Just my 2 cents opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-02-10 18:23 ]
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 4:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next