shields and women--what's the deal?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
joshuax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

shields and women--what's the deal?

If PB insists on leaving these obvious additions out of Gothic 1/2, it should at least give us a storyline why. Among other things, it could explain how there can be so many men w/so few women around. They gotta come from somewhere! What'd they do, hatch from eggs?
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:20 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Shields are a bad idea. The Gothic series doesn't include shields. You'd be surprised how few people actually used shields in medieval days. They were used most commonly in joust, and for the infantry in the front lines of large wars. You rarely saw a man carrying a shield around with him. In Gothic, men block with their swords, as most men did in one-on-one combat back then. Realistically, shields are heavy, awkward, and can make an otherwise talented swordfighter into a slow and extremely vulnerable target. Without a sword your more agile, which is essential in a real swordfight. The only scenario throughout the entire game I can think of where a shield might have been appropriate, would have been when fighting the dragons to block their fire. That would only work if the shield was made of, or plated with steal. I think shields were most common during the time of rome, which was when shield were generally made small and light. The purpose of gladiators using shields weren't so much for the benefit of defense, but for the visual appeal to the audience of a man carrying a colorful or stylish shield out out to combat with a single shiny sword or axe. The discovery channel had a really good episode that covered this subject. Take my word for it, a shield would serve no purpose in a world like Gothic...

I said it in another thread, I'll say it again: there are plenty of women in Gothic 2. The developers were even generous enough to provide a whore house for us. Honestly, what more can you ask for? The harbor has a lot of women. One of the top thiefs is a women. There are women working on farms, as housewives, merchants, whores, bars, and even the fish soup lady. Do you really think there were many important females back then? Imagine a female blacksmith, or hunter, or fisher, or paladin, or magician ... It just doesn't fit the profile.
Asking where all the men came from with so few women present, is a valid question. It wasn't unusual for women in those days to have a lot of children. I'm not sure what the average amount of children per family was back then, but it was probably between 6-12. Many of the women were probably sold and taken via ships when the harbor was running smoothly. In large families not able to support their children, the male children would be sold to men in need of servants or workers. Males were sold for this purpose because they were stronger than women --most commonly for stable work, farm work, or even hunting (since people generally hunted in small groups back then). Many probably died since only the strong survived in harsh times --especially since the evil got worse after the barrier was broken. Realistically, most of the women would have died because of not being strong enough to defend themselves from the flow of creatures appearing as the result of the sleeper's last command. There are many more possible, and even likely scenarios I could think of, and I'm sure if you think hard about it you'll be able to think of plenty too. It would not have made sense to have more women present in Gothic 2.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:18 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup i agree with SirDeity also womans were the onez who needed to pick up herbs from forrest for healing or food but like u allready seen the forrests were cravling with creatures and also u could find many skeletions in caves and all they can be all womens and mens
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:42 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

but sirdiety its a game with dragons and skeletons and zombies and giant golems... why not have shields who said a game had to be real to be enjoyable, i know if a game was to real then i wouldnt buy it that is why all the good games are "fantasy rpgs" cause noone wants to come home from a shitty day and play a game that is just like what they came home from, right?
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:19 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

The creatures are part of the fantasy. They are what makes the Gothic series original in it's "life" sense. It's a necessary fantasy creation. Having shields isn't. It's one thing for the developers to create a world with pretend creatures, it's another thing for the developers to create a world where
5+5 = 3... I've responded to this same question more thoroughly in other threads. Here's a link where I've got a better post that addresses your question:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=ecfdd4dec2a72b346161ac5757d69a3e

On the first page of this thread I have two posts which clearly explain why things are the way they are...
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:03 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

but like people said on the 8th page of the thread "where are the shields or whats the point of 1 handed weapons" just because you don't want shields in gothic doesn't give you the right to deprive the people that do want them in the game of having shields, if you dont want to use them then dont but more people do want them than dont
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:23 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
if you dont want to use them then dont but more people do want them than dont

...How do you know this? You know the millions of Gothic fans out there? If this were true, then Gothic would have shields in it. If it's a sudden change of heart, then Gothic 3 will have shields. However, I don't believe more people want shields than don't want them.

Question: What is the point of having 1H combat?
Answer: If your carrying a one-handed weapon your more agile and able to swing your blade faster and block better. Conversely, if your carrying a two-handed weapon your able to generally do more damage per blow due to the added weight of the blade. Aside from those obvious factors, personal preference plays a significant role in what handed weapons players use.

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:37 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

out of the people that have spoken in up in the topics about shields in the gothic games, more people have been for having shields than against them.
and anyway the speed difference isnt that much once you have them both maxed out
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:02 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

I DA BIG GOTHIC FREAK AM AGAINST THE SHIELDS
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:57 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well good for you deadlus then when they put them in just dont use them
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:46 am
OreBaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I dunno maybe if sheilds are just blocking tools(doesnt really matter if its wood or steel) and are mainly for protecting from ranged attacks but Id rather see mounts and spears(not sure if Gothic II has spears, i havent got my copy yet )
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:08 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh well mayb shields will be in G3 but still it would suck but if i wont use shields then then i am dead so i will probably need to use them cos then the block wont help anymore only shields will
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:05 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

There are spear-like weapons in Gothic 2... weapons like a halberd for example.

I'm confident there won't be shields in Gothic 3 Daedalus, so don't worry. I'd hate having shields too.

Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:25 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the gothic 2 halberd is nothing like a spear it more reminded me of the thunderstrike hammer in gothic 1

or at least thats what i think it was called

oh and deadlus, why would anyone willingly listen to someone that wants rice schnapps back?
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:33 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I think there are pikes too...

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:26 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next