soul trap - newbie - i know, i know...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
kparti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

soul trap - newbie - i know, i know...

maybe i've missed something, but i cant find a dealer with this spell. is there any place, where i can "learn" it?
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:33 am
Loxias

age guild in Balmora
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:01 pm

Loredena

another question about soul trap

Do I have to cast this BEFORE I kill the monster, or can I cast it immediately afterwards?
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:37 pm

DM

Before. The spell/scroll puts the monster in a kind of stasis. The monster is still fully capable to fight but if you kill a monster in this "stasis", mening that he has a cloud about him, and you have an appropriate soulsstone, he will be captured, and you will be informed by a nice text box...
Post Tue May 14, 2002 8:50 pm

FrGGr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

something to add to the post above me..
If you cast soultrap and kill the mob but you don't get a text box saying you trapped a soul it is because you don't have a gemstone large enough to hold the soul of the dead mob.. It doesn't say anything when this happens which makes you think you coulda just missed the target when u casted.
When you actually do miss the target it says you missed the target with a text box.
I spent tons of cash on soultrap spells on Daedric's thinking I just kept missing them but actually I didnt have a large enough soul gem.

Hope this helps
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:03 pm
Shalwin

If you cast trap soul on a monster and have a monster you summon kill it, will you get the soul, or do you have to make the killing blow?
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:13 pm

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I am aware that in Daggerfall you needed to cast soultrap before a monster died, and I am aware that it's possible that my game is somehow bugged (though it is unlikely as I have not used any plugins or the editor). That being said, I always capture souls by casting soultrap after I kill the monster. Give it a shot.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:58 pm
persself
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
cant find a dealer with this spell. is there any place, where i can "learn" it?

Read a post somewhere that says the spell is called a gem feeder; I've been looking for "soul trap"! So, I'm headed to a Mage's Guild to look for one being sold there. Specifically, Vivec (where I just arrived), or Balmara.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:56 pm
persself
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
I always capture souls by casting soultrap after I kill the monster.

Interesting; might try it to see what happens...page 39 of the manual says to cast soul trap first.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:02 pm
DM

Yeah, I answered another post about this. The scroll I used the ONE TIME I ever soultrapped( ) was called <whatever-name>'s Gem Feeder.
I know I have both found these scrolls in dungeons and in mage guild "shops"...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:18 pm

bolopunq
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

well my procedure was like this:
1) cast soul trap from a safe distance (shouldn't matter since it's only time restricted)
2) approached the nasty ogrim (might have misspelled this one - the big green thingie )
3) slain it with like 3 shots in a hand to hand combat (with an axe)
4) no message no nothing, had a grand soul gem in my inventory

now i know the spell itself was cast properly (took me like 10 tries with my dumb unmagical barbarian) cause when it didn't i would always get this message saying it was cast unsuccessfuly but no soul got ever harmed/trapped :O

wtf? could any1 help me solve this peculiarity?
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:14 pm
MasterWizard

Soultrapping

Best way, if you have the gold...Buy the spell (not a scroll) and have a weapon enchanted to "cast when strikes". Of course you may have to purchase (or steal) a soul gem for this enchantment. The more expensive the filled gem, the more casts it gives.

I switch to my Soul Drinker weapon after the first few hits and get em every time. (Yes you must cast before they die).

PS on creatures to capture. Golden Saint and Ascended Sleeper fit into Grand Soul Gem and can be used to have items enchanted which will have a constant effect. Amount of enchantment is based on the power of the item being enchanted. (Get exquisite apparel for the maximum number of enchantments). I don't bother with the Ogrims or any other creatures as they take up space in my Grand Soul gems and all I do is sell em (with a million transactions to Creeper). For cash I trap Frost/Fire and Storm Atronachs in the purple (flower looking) soul gems(name?). They sell for 7000-9000 filled.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:39 pm

Wabbit

the spell version really is called Soul Trap, the scroll version is called ...Gem Feeder. I think the problem for the guy with the ogrim is that it is a touch range spell so you have to get right up on'em Once you have the spell you can have someone make you a ranged version or when you enchant an item with the spell you can add that property.

It's true, in the game you can cast soul trap immediately AFTER the monster dies and still get a soul, even more exploitive is the fact that you can cast the spell MULTIPLE TIMES and fill more than one gem off of one dead monster..... now I think that's a little much personally but it does work.....

What I have been trying to figure out is what monster to trap in the blue (lesser) gems. I trap rats, nix hounds, agits, cliff racers, and skeletons in the petty (white) gems, and I trap flame and frost astronauts and bonelords in the common (teardrop white) gems, but what fits good in the blue ones???? I could trap skeletons in those too but it seems like a waste.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:23 pm

RooS

Bolopunq: was the soul gem empty?

We all know what happens when a gem is too small for a soul, but what if it's TOO BIG? I captured an Ogrim into a greater soul gem, not the grand one. How's that for a theory?
Post Thu May 16, 2002 3:05 am

persself
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How do you choose which gem to use when soul trapping? I have various ones from the Mage Guild in Balmara upstairs, where I'm sure everyone else got their early ones. When I trap, it automatically goes into one; I don't have an option to choose...guess I could drop the ones I don't want to trap with, then pick them up aftewards?
Post Thu May 16, 2002 3:41 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next