quote:
Originally posted by Aphazel
Ok, if you say so..

Thanx for understanding.
Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:26 pm
Pico
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I tried Morrowind. I found it on eBay for $15 shipped. I couldnt pas it up.I like it. Not bad. VERY system demanding. What’s up with the mouse lag in the menus? That’s a lesson in patients for you. I can play it (relatively) silky smooth at 1600x1200 (my Radeon 8500 has been so good to me over the years) but whenever I go into any menu the mouse legs about 2 seconds behind. What’s up with that?

Anyway, not bad.

Wizardry 8 was pretty good too. I only plaid a demo though.

I also got a demo of Arx Fatalis. VERY nice. I liked that a lot. I feel really Closter phobic in that game though. Its kept me from getting sucked into it. Its still about $30 on eBay though. I will wait until it comes down in price before I buy it.

I’ve looked into Gothic II. I’ve found some English versions on eBay, but I’m reluctant to buy it. Especially at the $35+ its selling for. The local software sore tells me its not going to be on the shelves until end of next month.

Bottom line:
Morrowind has some serious potential, worthy of more game play. It will have to be my, “hold me over until Gothic II is out game.”
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:25 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

About the Mouse lagging, yea it makes you want to crash your PC sometimes .. ... You've written that marroeind has more potential, so you mean it isn't using it?
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:01 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Pico
whenever I go into any menu the mouse legs about 2 seconds behind. What’s up with that?

You may get some improvement by turning menu transparency to none and menu help delay to anything but 0. Those two seem to be a killer in terms of performance, and the second especially causes my mouse to stutter.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:18 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Like Taxen0 implied, the journal in Morrowind is horrible! Its so redundant, whoever was the un-brain behind the journal implementation should be flogged mercilessly. I juist thought Id second that emotion.

As far as comparing the 2 games, to me they have a very different feel. For one, the Gothic world is obviously smaller, but at the same time seems far more alive and designed for the single player. Morrowind just feels lonely and barren at times, like in the city of Vivec. Huge place, but empty. Noone really walking around outside, the NPC's arent lifelike at all, the whole things starts feeling like an MMORPG where you are the only one logged on the server after awhile. A huge MMORPG without the MMO. I still liked the game alot, and i havent finished it yet, but Gothic seems to have pulled me in and kept me playing compulsively far more than MW has.

Graphics are better in MW, and the control system is easier. Tho strangely enough, i do *prefer* the Gothic controls, they are just fun to use IMHO, yet tougher to master. Also, I can say that Im not that fond of the constant disease and stat-reducing stuff in Morrowind, that isnt a factor in Gothic. Better stock up on potions and have a Plan B ready if you run out, because you will be nailed to the floor frequently in MW if you dont watch thyself around the more *unsanitary* foes you will face.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:04 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

About the last thing, you just "trade & train" and only then go to the places where you can be nailed to the floor .
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:44 pm
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

Well, i havent played morrowind, So i cant say what is batter... Right now i have a new game that recenatly came out, its called:
"the temple of elemental Evil" Its an RPG...
I dont even know what the main quest is! They dont say anithing in the jornal and they just throw you to the world in LVL 1 and tell you:
"Its your life!" and leave you alone in a world you dont know, You dont know how to play and what you need to do, I had NO Idea how to finish the wuests people give me coz The jusrnal bearly say anithing... It took me 5 hours to find a man, In A VILLIGE!!!
I dont like that kind of games! but gothic Tells you what you need to do, all you need is to look at the jornal, The main quest is ovios and you cant miss it! Now Thats A Good Game!!
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:44 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by Pikkon
I dont even know what the main quest is! They dont say anithing in the jornal and they just throw you to the world in LVL 1 and tell you:
"Its your life!" and leave you alone in a world you dont know, You dont know how to play and what you need to do, I had NO Idea how to finish the wuests people give me coz The jusrnal bearly say anithing... It took me 5 hours to find a man, In A VILLIGE!!!
I dont like that kind of games! but gothic Tells you what you need to do, all you need is to look at the jornal, The main quest is ovios and you cant miss it! Now Thats A Good Game!!

1-If you like this, than it's..... Strange
2-How this fits in the Topic???
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:05 pm
Pikkon

I DONT likeThe fact that i dont know what to do...
Dunno..
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

At all???

Strange. Most of the users here discuss it so much, looks like it's good.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:33 pm
Pikkon

What do you mean??
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:44 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I like Morrowind and Gothic equally, but for different reasons.

I like Gothic because the world feels so alive and the NPCs are so realistic. I remember the first time I experienced this sense of life in the NPCs. I pulled a sword out in town and three guards pulled their swords and began shouting at me to back off or die. I put my sword away and they backed off but continued to insult and berate me. That was fun and heart-poundingly realistic.

I like Morrowind because of the atmosphere of the game. The world is so alien. At time I felt like I was wandering through a Clark Ashton Smith story. I loved the foreign accents and the cultural quirks and the books that laid out the backstory and history.

Both games have weaknesses.

The NPCs throughout the world of Morrowind say exactly the same dialogue too many times, and that detracts from the immersion, although not nearly enough to ruin the experience.

I hate the control scheme in Gothic. I know other people love the controls, but I found the entire interface clumsy and extremely unintuitive, although not enough of a problem to detract from the overall experience.

My biggest regret is that I don't have enough time to play either game as much as I would like. I certainly haven't finished Morrowind or Gothic (and I own both Morrowind expansions and Gothic 2).
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:47 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next