Gothic 3 for Xbox 360 Rumours
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic 3 for Xbox 360 Rumours

<a href="http://worldofgothic.com/" target="_blank">World of Gothic</a> is reporting on an item from <a href="http://news.jowood-news.de/content/view/308/28/" target="_blank">JoWood New</a> about a rumoured offer for an Xbox 360 version of Gothic 3:<blockquote><em>Rumour has it that JoWooD, European publisher for Gothic 3, has recently received a substantial bid to sell the XBox publishing rights for its hit RPG computer game. <br>JoWooD News.de reports that JoWooD's CEO Albert Seidl has been contacted by an American company offering several million Dollars for this deal. Only time will tell if this rumour will turn into anything more substantial.</em></blockquote>I'll stress that we don't know the veracity of this story and it seems unlikely the PC version would be affected at any rate.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Intresting, if JoWood can wait till after G3 release they could have a sweet deal as a 3 game package.

I dont know much about console controlers but it seems possible that the controls even for Gothic 1 could work.

Haha, they would be forced to get rid of the silly CTRL key funtion.

I would be really pissed if they redid the controls for Gothic 1 and did not release a patch for the PC.

Edit
Heh, I said G2 and meant G3.

Last edited by Acleacius on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:37 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Someone noticed that Gothic 3 is the only serious competitor for Oblivion that discussed on the web. This could be a big break for JoWood / Piranhabytes and could guarantee the survival of the series - hopefully on both platforms!
From the gameplay, Gothic would be pretty easy to port to console.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:21 pm
Cabezone

This would be very cool. I don't own a console, but anything that will get the PC RPG makers more cash to keep making them is a good thing.

Oblivion wouldn't have been possible in it's current form without the income from the Xbox Morrowind sales. they were abel to hire on a lot more people because of it and now it sounds like they may make Elders Scrolls V and Fallout 3 at the same time.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:31 pm

billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

agreed, porting the Gothic series on Xbox would be a nice move for Jowood...controls won't really be a problem i think.

BUT...as long as a possible xbox port won't interfere with the PC, i'm okay with that.

i don't want to see Gothic to follow the same path of Elder scrolls :
Elder Scrolls were initially PC games, then ported to xbox with morrowind...and finally becoming a console game ported to PC (Oblivion)

i hope pirhana byte will stick with the PC, maybe leaving the xbox port to a different developper...would be the best.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:34 pm

You're damn right the PC Version wont be affected in any way We already had to suffer and wait longer for Oblivion because of this stupid console "oh we needed more time to work out bugs and blah blah" Why not spill the truth and tell us PC users had to suffer wich the game is really for the PC not some console they had to optmize it more.

Every PC game should be developed first and finished and then they can port a console version or what ever PC should never be affected in any way by a console.

Consoles come second.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:22 pm

noah
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Elder Scrolls were initially PC games, then ported to xbox with morrowind...and finally becoming a console game ported to PC (Oblivion)

This is so not true, it's not even funny. Oblivion spent probably 80%+ of its development cycle lifespan -for both platforms- on the PC. It was designed from the ground up with both platforms in mind. How in the heck do you think console games are made? With punch cards?

quote:
We already had to suffer and wait longer for Oblivion because of this stupid console "oh we needed more time to work out bugs and blah blah" Why not spill the truth and tell us PC users had to suffer wich the game is really for the PC not some console they had to optmize it more.

Every PC game should be developed first and finished and then they can port a console version or what ever PC should never be affected in any way by a console.

Simply not true. Both were developed side by side and both platforms benefitted equally from the optimizations done on both sides. Release dates were not held back because of any one specific platform or Microsoft favoritism or any ridiculous nonsense like that. The game, PC or 360, simply was not done. TES games are massive, complicated and do crazy things that most game devs, especially console ones, would run in absolute terror from.

I'm as hardcore a PC gamer as they come, and I love the Gothic series as well as the Elder Scrolls series. I'd also like to humorously point out that Gothic was originally intended to be a console game - hence the control scheme. Finding this out well after I had played Gothic did not reduce my fondness for the games in any way.

Last edited by noah on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:27 pm

^ Wow. You don't seem to see the irony in what you're saying.

Anyway, since when has there been an Xbox360 version in development? Never heard if it, hope it isn't true and hope it doesn't happen. At best consolization will mean the survival of the franchise *name*, at worst the end of the franchise and the developer.

Simultaneous multiplatforming (different from porting) is NOT a good thing, and probably never will be...unless you're a publisher who is happy to make sacrifices for occationally good short term benefits but dubious long term ones.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:15 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This whole thread is full of incorrect infos.

- The original newsbit at JoWooD-News talks about the XBox, not the XBox 360! Maybe it´s included, maybe not.

- Even if Acleacius still refuses to accept this, JoWooD didn´t publish the first Gothic, not in Germany and not internationally. A 3 game bundle would require some negotiations to get the necessary rights.

- And who said that PB would have to work on a console conversion? There are dozens of studios specialized in conversions for a fixed price. If there will be (a) console version(s) we simply cannot know who will do it (them).

It´s also unclear whether this offer - if it exists - includes a complete conversion or only the rights to contract the conversion to a studio of the buyers choice and market the game.

Last edited by Gorath on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:52 pm
noah
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
^ Wow. You don't seem to see the irony in what you're saying.

You are absolutely correct. I do not see any irony in what I said.

Oblivion is not a console game ported to the PC. It was made from day one with both platforms in mind. Care, attention and specific planning was put into effect, equally, for both versions.

Oblivion was not held back for any platform. It was simply not finished yet, independently of platform, and was announced gold at the earliest possible time. To claim we "held off" on any version, especially just to spite another platform, is ludicrous.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:53 pm
Dhruin

Ah, silly me didn't notice the "Xbox" in the body vs the "Xbo360" in the heading. Still, I would think X360 is more likely *if* it is true.

@Noah, thanks for taking the time to comment.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:07 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Cabezone
This would be very cool. I don't own a console, but anything that will get the PC RPG makers more cash to keep making them is a good thing.

Oblivion wouldn't have been possible in it's current form without the income from the Xbox Morrowind sales. they were abel to hire on a lot more people because of it and now it sounds like they may make Elders Scrolls V and Fallout 3 at the same time.

The controls would be just PERFECT with a analog joystick, let aside the hassle free gaming on xbox and ease of play. Graphics may take a hit, but if they try hard i am sure everything could be in, although separated in more levels to load in the less ram.

I suspect Microsoft is the bidder, since that game would be HUGE for xbox 360, and a real system seler like Oblivion and Two Worlds (another amazing looking game for xbox 360/PC)
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:55 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by noah
I'd also like to humorously point out that Gothic was originally intended to be a console game - hence the control scheme.

Source? I really can't believe this. I have a really nice video about Gothic 1 in early development (from the German mag "Gamestar"), and neither there nor elsewhere it was heard that Gothic was intended to be a console game.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:55 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

One things is certain if there really is an American investor and he really gets the rights for the XBox version and that is that it will mean an enormous amount of publicity to both Gothic 3 and Piranha Bytes and that's a good thing.

On the German boards they are already freaking out with things like "EA Games is going to buy Gothic and PB!!", so I keep my cool and see what happens. It most likely won't affect the PC-version, because that will already be finished by the time any possible negotiations are completed.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:36 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Hindukönig
quote:
Originally posted by noah
I'd also like to humorously point out that Gothic was originally intended to be a console game - hence the control scheme.

Source? I really can't believe this. I have a really nice video about Gothic 1 in early development (from the German mag "Gamestar"), and neither there nor elsewhere it was heard that Gothic was intended to be a console game.

Make sure this doesn't make your head explode or something. Here's one source:

quote:
Negative feedback from the fans has centered around the fact that the games interface and controls have been somewhat clunky. So how will this be changed/rectified for Gothic 3?

Stefan: I can promise there will be a lot of changes for the interface and the controls. The interface of Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 focused for a console version.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:05 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next