TES: Too Much Equipment [Request for Comments]
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

TES: Too Much Equipment [Request for Comments]

My house in Balmora is full. I've covered the floor, the tables, chairs, boxes and shelves. My framerate inside that little house is dropping by the day, as it fills even more. The Creeper is surrounded too! I've started on the Talking Mudcrab's island as well. I've just got too much equipment!

You know the problem, all the Ebony Axes, Daedric Daggers, Orcish Hammers, Ebony Cuirasses, Glass Halberds, Demon Katanas, Daedric shields etc that you just cannot sell. Not to mention Crysamere, The Lord's Mail, Scourge, Volendrung, Bittercup etc!

I've got piles of equipment next to the Creeper, and whenever I pass by I sell another 5000gp worth of kit, but I'm collecting much more than I'm getting rid of. I feel like picking a hill somewhere and turning it into an industrial wasteland, a dumping ground for billions of gps worth of equipment that I just can't get rid of. It's not like I need the money! I've got piles of gold pieces around the place as well.

My question is, what can be done about this? The currently available options are (1) dump it somewhere (2) devote years of game play to selling it or (3) sell each piece at a knock-down price to anyone with 200gp to spare. What we need is a plugin!

So, does anyone have any ideas on a plugin that gives the player something to do with equipment at higher levels? The solution is not just a trader with 100,000,000 gp on hand - I consider that cheating and I really don't need the money anyway. What would be possible to code in a plugin that would still fit with the world?
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:09 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Go to morrwind summit then database and search for Zed. One of th results should be Zed the merchant (you might be able to search that too) and download that. He is a merchent in Balmora with TONES of gold. I suggest you bribehim to 100% to you get a better price for your stuff.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:18 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ah, no.

I'm afraid that's the answer I particularly don't want. As I said, I consider that cheating. I'm after alternatives to just dropping a cash-cow in the middle of Balmora.
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:43 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

In that case I suggest that you go with one and dump it. You clould download a manequin mod and put your armor on it. Other than that I'd go for dumping or get a few more houses/storerooms.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:43 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Well, I actually made a mod to a mod that added some nice stuff to the Telvanni Tower... but unfortunately I guess that it got deleted with Morrowind... It added a bigger basement to Tel Uvirith, a nice (but poor) robot who could mend your equipment, and a lady that I modded to have little gold, but the ability to teleport me to other Telvanni/Mages Guild Strongholds. Ooh, and the unlimited-capacity boxes...
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Museum

But I don't use any of the equipment I've got lying around. I may as well donate it to the poor!

How about this kind of concept: A museum you can set up - you fill it up with all your gathered equipment. Plenty of shelves etc are available to stack things on and a number of mannequins stand here and there. You pay rent for the building, but get a monthly income from visitors based on how interesting/diverse/impressive/whatever your display is.

Now this is quite a complicated concept, probably isn't possible with the current engine, and ultimately just turns into another way to make money. It isn't great, but it's the kind of thing I'm looking for. What else can anyone think of?
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:06 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

i have a good idea, use TESCS to create a big hole in the floor somewhere and dump all ur crap in there will look funny
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:11 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Here are some suggestions that don't need a plugin. They are utterly senseless, but maybe fun:

Build a tower or a bridge with them.
Drop it into a lake until the lake is full.
Block the entrance to Fort Moonmoth
Write your name onto the slope of a mountain
Be a donator: Walk into people's houses and decorate their homes.

I am sure you will find much more ideas.
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:41 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hrm

Amusingly, Tribunal came out shortly after I wrote this, and I've just discovered they've got the museum idea in there already! Looks like it only works for unique artifacts, but it's a start.

What with having a few more merchants with a lot of cash on hand, I guess all the little things (up to about 15K) are easily sellable. But it still only makes you money...

How about an NPC that will trade high-value goods for interesting and otherwise unobtainabble things, like a +1 reputation increase, a ring with 500 enchantment points, a Glass Longbow, an increase in disposition of a particular faction, a +1 stat increase etc.? I wonder if that is possible?

It would require some careful choosing of the possible benefits - they're not going to be worth the same value as the item/items the character is giving up (~50K or something), but they should otherwise be unobtainable. How about that?
Post Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:29 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

One possibility is -- *gasp* -- just to leave the stuff behind. My chars all start doing that at some point. Leave it on a dead monster and it will disappear from the gameworld. That's after I have all the enchanted gear I need -- the basic strategy for selling high-end goods being to recoup the gold from those pricy enchantments.

I think your merchant with "unattainable things" is perfectly doable... probably the most flexible way to handle it would be to give him a few items you could trade for, each of which would activate a script giving the desired effect, and then disappear... special jewelry, scrolls, runes or whatnot.

Personally, I'm a fan of random outcomes in games... what about something like a wishing well, where you could drop stuff in, and have a random chance of losing it forever (taking it out of the gameworld) or getting something interesting in return? Something interesting with a catch, like an item that appears being worn by a powerful enemy, or being teleported to a dangerous location. (And you'd want to base the random number on a unique seed saved as a global variable, to prevent save/reload abuse.)

Sounds fun. Don't look at me, though. Too busy to mod these days.
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:16 am
Wrothgarr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

maybe some kind of industry mod that will 'melt' your weapons and armour down into a special ore that you can use to 'build' things, maybe a house, or a mannequin, a robot with services (training, repair, teleport etc.) something like that? and it would require, like 10 ebony long swords to be enough to create a robot so that you can get rid of your stuff easily.

Isn't there a flying dwemer airship 'house' mod that requires 5 golden saint gems plus a constant refill of high level stuff in order to stay active? or something along those lines?
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:56 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm

Now that's an interesting idea! I think creating "robots" doesn't fit with the game world, but melting down weapons is a fantastic idea. My last character was a heavy armour wearer but by the time he got three or four items of Ebony armour, he'd already amassed a large number of Ebony swords of all shapes and sizes. Rather useless - after you've got a good sword you really don't need sixteen more of them.

In Tribunal there's an armourer who can turn raw materials into armour - blocks of Ebony into Ebony Gauntlets or whatever. How about being able to melt down your weapons into raw material? Then you can fuel the creation of new equipment from old. Eg:

Daggers up to short swords = 1 piece of Ebony
Long swords and katanas = 2 pieces
Daikatanas = 4 pieces

This would work for all the volcanic glass-based items (Glass, Ebony, Daedric) and metal as well (Iron, Steel, Silver, Adamantium). You'd need new ingredients for those that don't exist. (Where does Dwarven come in this?)

This would allow the lower-level characters to turn excess steel items into the steel items they actually want, and higher-level characters to obtain the elusive Daedric Greaves (of which there is only one set I believe). This truely would be a good use for unwanted equipment.
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:52 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Additional:

I've just checked the data at Morrowind.com: add Dwarven to the metal list. Also add Orcish and Nordic. I'm happy to consider Templar and Legion as Steel.

I wouldn't try melting down the rest - Leather would just catch fire, and Chitin and Indoril would just crack and start to smell...
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:03 pm
Wrothgarr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

the 'upgrading' of weapons and armour seems a great idea, and also the most realistic to the game.

When i said robot,s i was really referring to centurions, and different materials would create different looking centurions (eg, dwemer/dwarven gear would create spider/sphere/steam centurions) I'd like to see what a centurion made from daedric materials would look like. maybe there could be a construction skill and as it increased, the centurions would look cooler (eg. low level dwemer centurion, you would only be able to make spiders, then spheres, then steams, then maye another level, like a small Numidium.)
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:56 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ah

Oh, those geezers - I hadn't thought of them. I was thinking of Robbie the Robot or something...

I expect it'd be pretty hard to properly balance the creation of service-providers. How do you think you could approach balancing something like the creation of a trainer? Too little and it totally skews character progression, too much and by the time you can afford it, it's irrelevant.

It really would be cool to be able to create Ebony Spider Centurions though. After meeting with the Robot Arena in Mournhold I see that some of the world's denizens understand Dwemer technology, so if it's expensive enough, it should fit with the world.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next