81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author Thread
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

Dungeon keeper 2

just started Dungeon keeper 2. great game, has the same magic as the first one only better graphics. I was wondering what you guys thaught about it
Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:45 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I haven't played Evil Genius so I have to stick with Dungeon Keeper 2.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:16 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I loved DK2. As you say, its everything that the first game is plus more.

I used to play a single level for hours and hours just seeing how efficient I could get my dungeon and how much money I could get. I would have a treasure room that covered half the map!

I have yet to try Evil Genius, but Val, Jaz & some others have said it was fun so I need to give it a go. If its anywhere near as good as DK then I will definately have to pick it up.

I probably wont like it as much as DK even if its as good. I just realy like the underworld/Tolkein esque approach.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:41 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I loved DK2. I haven't played Evil Genius beyond the demo, but I play to get it sometime down the road. It had the same type of humor, which I like.
Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:03 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Although DK2 is a great game, I have to say after playing it again over the last week or two, that a few of the quirks really stand out. It's missing a couple interface elements that made DK1 so much easier to play, and some of the "realism" of DK2 is a bother as well...

For starters, I dont like the Horned Reaper being referred to as "Horny". It's ridiculous.

But aside from the improper namesakes, there is a big problem with large battles being unmanageable in a way they never were in the original DK. In DK, there was a graphical representation of all the creatures engaged in battle on the interface, along with their rank and health bar. In a pitched battle, a Keeper could keep an eye on this chart of sorts, and just like in later RTS's such as WC3, heal or cast other spells on minions without having to try and click on them directly. It's annoying (and deadly) to keep casting spells on the wrong minion, or grabbing the wrong underling in the heat of battle.

Also, the query mode in DK2 is a complete joke, literally. Perhaps Bullfrog thought it might be funny to have the creature's blood type come up when you do a query on the creature or something? The joke is unfortunately on the Keeper tho, as he wonders what creature has what abilities or spells. Query mode in DK had all the relevant info on a creature, spells, rank, abilities, wage, mood, etc.

The creature morale things seems like a good idea, until you realize what wimps your minions can be. In DK1, I had to build doors all over the place or I'd have level 1 idiots out mixing it up with whole armies of the enemy. Unfortunately, your creatures very well may decide not to engage the enemy in DK2, leaving a few trolls to defeat the enemy on their own. Also, the creatures suffering a fall every time they are dropped is a bad idea. Dropping them close to an enemy will get them pummeled as they recover the fall, yet dropping them a safe distance will often times lead to them just walking away.

The PC Keeper is a complete deadbeat, I dont care what personality you pick. Go busting thru the walls with an army of elite creatures in skirmish mode and youre met by a few level 3 goblins and a level 2 bile demon. Argh!

I still like the game alot tho, and have spent alot of time playing it over the years. It's a seriously twisted, funny game indeed. What nice graphics those were back then! It's great to run it on my pc now with everything cranked up to the max, it used to eat my other pc up pretty bad. Ive always loved cruising around my lair in different host bodies, spying on the enemy, and of course leading an army personally into hostile territory. Sandbox mode is fun, I like sending wave after wave of ever higher level do-gooders, and I enjoyed the campaign every time Ive played thru it. Just wish they would have kept the core gameplay and interface a little closer to the original.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:53 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

@xSamhainx: I have to agree with you. The battles are diificult without the nice interface of DK1. I usually use one spell: heal minions. I just start klicking in the wild with the hope I heal all my man and hope they stay close together otherwise it's more difficult to heal them. So the battle is a bit screwed up still I really like the DK just as much as DK1 It's hard to find a good game nowadays. They just don't make them like they used too, well except the gothic series .Awesome games!
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:40 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

There's a site about dungeon lords 2 in rpg-ring.de.In the newpost you can find an interview.It's in English.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:44 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Wrong game.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:58 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'll say again, DK 1 or 2 should be played before getting Evil Genius. Possibly Startopia too, it's a great game as well.

DK 1 and 2 ended up with parts that a lot of the fans would like to see combined in each. xSamhainx already highlighted this. If DK 3 had not died then perhaps the developers would have listened, who knows?
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:39 am